Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Which groups are benefits denied to?
People that decide not to get married.

People that want more than one spouse.

Family members that want to marry each other.

Plus, whether people believe it or not, marriage is a religious institution.

The state should not be involved in religion.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
The point is we want to encourage biological parents to raise their children. Homosexual unions raising children are never perfect because, at MOST, only one parent is the biological parent. In other words, we're not necessarily depriving that kid of anything, he could have been raised by his biological parents which I think would be better for him in 99% of cases.
Huh? Perhaps you haven't come across this thing called "adoption," in which neither parent is the biological mother or father. It has been shown that loving families that give emotional support to children is more important than biological links. A stable adoptive family is better than a dysfunctional natural family.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
but if anything is clear it is that same-sex couples are not just getting carried away by lust, giving their sexual impulses free rein, and having unplanned and unwanted children as the result.
This is an excellent point.

I haven't read through all 8 pages, so I don't know if this has been brought up. I am in favor of legalizing same-sex unions/marriage. But I don't know if it should be compared to blacks not being able to marry whites. When it was a racial issue, you had men and women who could not marry the opposite-sex, (non-incestual) person of his/her choice.

Currently, everyone, including gays, is free to marry the opposite-sex (non-incestual) person of his/her choice, a freedom that was denied blacks in the past.

So it depends on how it's worded. Should everyone be free to marry any other opposite-sex (non-incestual) person of his/her choice? Or should everyone be free to marry any other (non-incestual) person that they love?

I guess I disagree with comparing this to blacks and whites. We are now talking about completely changing the definition of marriage. I'm not opposed to that, but I don't see it the same as when blacks couldn't marry whites.

(btw, I kept inserting "non-incestual" because of other threads. You've probably seen em).

Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
No, that is the question. The federal government is treating a straight person and a gay person differently under the same law. Do you understand that?
No, they're not. Any man can still marry any woman. The law does not state why a marriage must exist or place any conditions upon it. It doesn't state "A man may marry a woman that he loves." It's just one man and one woman.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
It doesn't matter because this isn't about "redefining marriage." This is about the same law being applied differently to straights and gays, which is unconstitutional under the equal protection clause.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Dont tell people what they can compare and what they cant.
If I was black, I'd be offended. Even as a white person, I'm sort of offended.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
If I was black, I'd be offended. Even as a white person, I'm sort of offended.
Why, white guilt?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Actually, it prevents the majority from receiving special privileges while dis-including a small minority. Hence the amendments to allow women the right to vote. Hence the amendment to allow blacks the right to vote. Etc, etc, etc.
Nobody is being disincluded.
Quote:
However, to give credence to your statement or give it one iota of merit: Please name at least one "special privilege" that you feel would be granted should a legally married homosexual couple be given accessibility to the exact same privileges/benefits/etc of a legally married heterosexual couple.
B/c they want to marry another person of the same sex. That is not allowed and would be considered a special privilege. I was actually speaking in generalities, though.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
No, they're not. Any man can still marry any woman. The law does not state why a marriage must exist or place any conditions upon it. It doesn't state "A man may marry a woman that he loves." It's just one man and one woman.
And by that train of thought, if gay marriage is legalized, any man can marry any man or woman. Just as any woman can marry any man or woman.

Don't want to marry another woman? Don't do so.

Quote:
Nobody is being disincluded.
Then by your logic, nobody would be disincluded if gay marriage is legalized.

Quote:
B/c they want to marry another person of the same sex. That is not allowed and would be considered a special privilege.
Actually it wouldn't. Because you would also have the privilege of marrying a woman if you so desired. It's just that you don't want to. Just like they don't want to marry somebody of the opposite gender.

Quote:
I was actually speaking in generalities, though.
What generalities, though?

For a generality to exist, there needs to exist specifics within it. If you can't name a single special privilege that would apply to homosexuals that would not apply to heterosexuals, then no generality exists.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Why, white guilt?
No, it's offensive to even think that what gays are going through in 2012 is comparable to what blacks endured during slavery and even during the Civil Rights era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.