Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
That list is incredibly flawed because it was designed from the beginning to identify a link between so-called gun laws and deaths by firearms. This data was not gathered to explain violence, nor violence due to guns.

I do not accept that suicide belongs in these rankings at all. Death to ones self, by any means, is not violence inflicted on someone else. A suicide is no threat to anyone.

Alaska's murder rate is actually well below the median of the US. Alaska, however leads the US in suicide.

Why is Texas gun death rate lower than California? California scores highest on the Brady ranking of gun laws. Texas is near the bottom. The two largest states in the US have similar homicide rates, similar death by gun rates, yet radically different gun laws. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE AT WORK HERE.

What about Utah? Brady rates Utah's gun laws as 0 (zero). Most lax in the country. Yet murder by guns is astonishingly low. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE AT WORK HERE.

Median household income is just as good a predictor of violent death rates as this arbitrary gun law ranking.

What about New Hampshire, practically a neighbor to Connecticut? New Hampshire's strength of gun laws are ranked 6 (very low) vs. CT's 58 (high, even before the new laws). Yet NH's gun murder rate is less than one fifth that of CT. There were only 5 gun murders in NH last year.
Your statements still doesn't change the fact that the most violent states have weak gun laws.
And the least violent ones are Hawaii and Rhode Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
That list is incredibly flawed because it was designed from the beginning to identify a link between so-called gun laws and deaths by firearms. This data was not gathered to explain violence, nor violence due to guns.

I do not accept that suicide belongs in these rankings at all. Death to ones self, by any means, is not violence inflicted on someone else. A suicide is no threat to anyone.

Alaska's murder rate is actually well below the median of the US. Alaska, however leads the US in suicide.

Why is Texas gun death rate lower than California? California scores highest on the Brady ranking of gun laws. Texas is near the bottom. The two largest states in the US have similar homicide rates, similar death by gun rates, yet radically different gun laws. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE AT WORK HERE.

What about Utah? Brady rates Utah's gun laws as 0 (zero). Most lax in the country. Yet murder by guns is astonishingly low. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE AT WORK HERE.

Median household income is just as good a predictor of violent death rates as this arbitrary gun law ranking.

What about New Hampshire, practically a neighbor to Connecticut? New Hampshire's strength of gun laws are ranked 6 (very low) vs. CT's 58 (high, even before the new laws). Yet NH's gun murder rate is less than one fifth that of CT. There were only 5 gun murders in NH last year.
Texas did have a higher rate of aggregate gun violence than California. Texas ranked 23rd, California 40th. Remember the "American Under the Gun" study looked at 10 indicators of gun violence, and included data like aggravated assaults, and law enforcement killed by guns.

New Hampshire ranked #39 in gun violence; Connecticut was #48, behind only Massachusetts and Hawaii.

I disagree that suicide by firearm is not a reflection of gun violence. The study did not analyze all suicide data, only suicide by gun. It is a threat to someone, the person who is committing suicide. As well, many of the firearm murders of women are murder/suicides in which the man first murders his mate and sometimes children, and then shoots himself to death. I suspect that might be behind Alaska's high rate of child and female gun homicide, as well as firewarm suicide.

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-c...erTheGun-3.pdf

Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
As I said, I have worked on gang violence reduction. There are no simple solutions. But things can be done. And I believe that stricter gun control laws would help. How do we know if stricter gun laws might not help reduce gun violence in Louisiana if we never try? There are many studies indicating an association between the strength of gun laws and gun violence, you can go ahead and discount them, but I think that's stupid.
I mean no insult, but you are being very naieve...do you really honestly "think" a criminal is going to go..."oh, darn, guns are illegal, guess I can't have one to go shoot so and so"?

The only people who will adhere to your gun laws are law abiding citizens....

Ellemint....look back into history...what happened when they outlawed liquor?
They made a lucrative business for the criminals....a very lucrative business, and if you outlaw any gun/weapon, the same thing will happen, actually more guns will be avaialable, b/c those who have privy to guns as such, will now get a pretty price for them....

I cannot believe you people can't grasp this?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM

The "American Under the Gun" study found these states had the lowest levels of gun violence:

1 - Hawaii (lowest level of gun violence)
2 - Massachusetts
3 - Connecticut
4 - New Jersey
5 - New York
6 - Iowa
7 - Rhode Island
8 - Minnesota
9 - Maine
10 - Nebraska
11 - California

Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I mean no insult, but you are being very naieve...do you really honestly "think" a criminal is going to go..."oh, darn, guns are illegal, guess I can't have one to go shoot so and so"?

They made a lucrative business for the criminals....a very lucrative business, and if you outlaw any gun/weapon, the same thing will happen, actually more guns will be avaialable, b/c those who have privy to guns as such, will now get a pretty price for them....

Wow... are you going to tell me that guns fall down from the sky into the hands of criminals?
If you look at Australia, Canada and Western Europe's murder rate, you're to admit that background checks are overall working.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Your statements still doesn't change the fact that the most violent states have weak gun laws.
And the least violent ones are Hawaii and Rhode Island.
most of these states have been known to have more crime, ever since I was a young girl....nothing new...it is not because of weaker gun laws, but b/c of a higher population of people/gangs/criminals, that, I might add, have had multiple arrests and the judges simply set them free.

My son is a cop....you have no idea how many criminals have been arrested as many as 20 times....????? But are not in jail? Your problem isn't guns, but a lack of education in poverty stricken areas, and lack of any kind of moral or respect training, and these people were raised by parents who didn't care either...some kids all their young days, have but one goal, to stand on a street corner, selling drugs, so they can buy a BMW or whatever....and if you outlaw guns, the very same thing will happen....

Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The "American Under the Gun" study found these states had the lowest levels of gun violence:

1 - Hawaii (lowest level of gun violence)
2 - Massachusetts
3 - Connecticut
4 - New Jersey
5 - New York
6 - Iowa
7 - Rhode Island
8 - Minnesota
9 - Maine
10 - Nebraska
11 - California

Hawaii is also the least murderous state... Wait, the least armed state is also the least dangerous?
I guess gun nuts' heads are going to explode!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
most of these states have been known to have more crime, ever since I was a young girl....nothing new...it is not because of weaker gun laws, but b/c of a higher population of people/gangs/criminals, that, I might add, have had multiple arrests and the judges simply set them free.

My son is a cop....you have no idea how many criminals have been arrested as many as 20 times....????? But are not in jail? Your problem isn't guns, but a lack of education in poverty stricken areas, and lack of any kind of moral or respect training, and these people were raised by parents who didn't care either...some kids all their young days, have but one goal, to stand on a street corner, selling drugs, so they can buy a BMW or whatever....and if you outlaw guns, the very same thing will happen....
And all those guns in the hands of law abiding southerners aren't there to lower crime?
I guess they aren't so effective, after all...

Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Wow... are you going to tell me that guns fall down from the sky into the hands of criminals?
If you look at Australia, Canada and Western Europe's murder rate, you're to admit that background checks are overall working.
Please use your head....did alcohol fall down from the sky into the criminals hands during prohibition??????

How naieve can you be?

I am for stiffer Background checks....but like everything else in America, it is easier to just let everything fall thru the cracks, and outlaw something...the right way, takes to much time and work....plus hiring more people...hey, maybe we could also outsource this job....

I say, arrest these criminals and put them all on a island by themselves....with no escape....no nothing...
that would take care of a lot of crime, or....maybe we could build more prisions and put these criminals away on their first offense> hummmmm that might be a good way to help rid crime...?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I'm not naive. Yesterday I saw I think the Attorney General of Colorado on the news, and he said they looked at the data on who was refused a gun after submitting the paperwork for the background checks.

There were hundreds of felons, domestic violence perpetrators, and violent offenders with outstanding warrants who applied and were turned away. In fact, Colorado went and actually arrested a bunch of them that they had been looking for.

This was hundreds of criminals who then ended up without guns.

Not everyone will go to gun shows, and take every absolute effort to get a gun illegally, even "criminals." Not everyone has "street" connections.

So, yes gun laws will reduce the number of guns that end up in criminal's hands. Not eliminate, but reduce.

I mean no insult either, but there is just so much evidence that fewer guns and tighter gun control laws are usually associated with less gun violence. It really isn't that surprising, now is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies