Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
And all those guns in the hands of law abiding southerners aren't there to lower crime?
I guess they aren't so effective, after all...
I don't understand what you are saying here? Please explain? sometimes ya gotta draw me pictures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Your statements still doesn't change the fact that the most violent states have weak gun laws.
And the least violent ones are Hawaii and Rhode Island.
but the FACT is that gun laws and the restricting of guns has ZERO to due with gun violence

you can OUTLAW guns completely...the crooks and ANYONE who decides to BYPASS the law will still be able to get the guns

laws and laws ontop of laws will not stop gun crime or anything like it

90% of the ''gun violence'' in those ''top 10''.......comes from ILLEGAL GUNS

Old 04-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm not naive. Yesterday I saw I think the Attorney General of Colorado on the news, and he said they looked at the data on who was refused a gun after submitting the paperwork for the background checks.

There were hundreds of felons, domestic violence perpetrators, and violent offenders with outstanding warrants who applied and were turned away. In fact, Colorado went and actually arrested a bunch of them that they had been looking for.

This was hundreds of criminals who then ended up without guns.

Not everyone will go to gun shows, and take every absolute effort to get a gun illegally, even "criminals." Not everyone has "street" connections.

So, yes gun laws will reduce the number of guns that end up in criminal's hands. Not eliminate, but reduce.

I mean no insult either, but there is just so much evidence that fewer guns and tighter gun control laws are usually associated with less gun violence. It really isn't that surprising, now is it?
no, gun laws will not decrease the criminals capability of getting a gun...what gun laws will do, is create a very lucrative business for the criminals....to buy and sell, and then, the law abiding citizens who are gun owners will be robbed, as you'll see a huge increase in gun robberies....huge huge business you'll create.

and no, there isn't any evidence of what your fighting for....and how do you think our law enforcement is going to get a hold of all the guns out there...do you really believe a criminal is going to turn them in, he'll say, "ahhhhh geeeze, I'm not supposed to have this, I better turn it in". Not.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
I'm not naive. Yesterday I saw I think the Attorney General of Colorado on the news, and he said they looked at the data on who was refused a gun after submitting the paperwork for the background checks.

There were hundreds of felons, domestic violence perpetrators, and violent offenders with outstanding warrants who applied and were turned away. In fact, Colorado went and actually arrested a bunch of them that they had been looking for.

This was hundreds of criminals who then ended up without guns.

Not everyone will go to gun shows, and take every absolute effort to get a gun illegally, even "criminals." Not everyone has "street" connections.

So, yes gun laws will reduce the number of guns that end up in criminal's hands. Not eliminate, but reduce.

I mean no insult either, but there is just so much evidence that fewer guns and tighter gun control laws are usually associated with less gun violence. It really isn't that surprising, now is it?

gun laws will also take firearms out of the hands of the law abiding citizen as well. gun laws do nothing to take firearms out of the hands of criminals, otherwise there would be NO crime at all in NYC because of the sullivan law.
all gun laws do is disarm the law abiding who need the firearm to protect themselves from the criminal element.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but the FACT is that gun laws and the restricting of guns has ZERO to due with gun violence

you can OUTLAW guns completely...the crooks and ANYONE who decides to BYPASS the law will still be able to get the guns

laws and laws ontop of laws will not stop gun crime or anything like it

90% of the ''gun violence'' in those ''top 10''.......comes from ILLEGAL GUNS
thank you, yes I forgot that....
these people pushing for this law, have no clue, no idea of how the underground criminal works, yet, they push for a quick fix that is going to affect a whole lot of law abiding citizens, but they don't care....they really don't....what it is about to them is winning, period...they are unable to grasp anything else, and what this will do is like everything else, open a can of worms, they won't stop until more and more guns are taken away....they did it with smoking...first it was restaurants and bars...now it some whole city and town....same thing, they don't care about rights or the constititution, they want quick fixes.....and they do not care who is affected....oh, and telling people what they should eat, and not eat....sick

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-04-2013 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Really? How is it a "fact" other than in your own mind? Please prove with citations. I'm sure the NRA has something they cooked up to look good. We'll wait.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Really? How is it a "fact" other than in your own mind? Please prove with citations. I'm sure the NRA has something they cooked up to look good. We'll wait.

pretty sure if what you say would be true, then chicago and england would have no gun violence at all.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
gun laws will also take firearms out of the hands of the law abiding citizen as well. gun laws do nothing to take firearms out of the hands of criminals, otherwise there would be NO crime at all in NYC because of the sullivan law.
all gun laws do is disarm the law abiding who need the firearm to protect themselves from the criminal element.
How will universal background checks take the guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens?

Not all criminals are the type running around on the streets who have access to guns from illegal gun trafficking. I am pretty sure that most domestic violence perpetrators buy their guns from stores, and universal background checks would prevent a lot of them from purchasing guns.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
How will universal background checks take the guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens?

Not all criminals are the type running around on the streets who have access to guns from illegal gun trafficking. I am pretty sure that most domestic violence perpetrators buy their guns from stores, and universal background checks would prevent a lot of them from purchasing guns.
If you buy a gun from a store you already have to go through a background check.

At least learn about the current process before spouting off drivel.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Please use your head....did alcohol fall down from the sky into the criminals hands during prohibition??????

How naieve can you be?

I am for stiffer Background checks....but like everything else in America, it is easier to just let everything fall thru the cracks, and outlaw something...the right way, takes to much time and work....plus hiring more people...hey, maybe we could also outsource this job....

I say, arrest these criminals and put them all on a island by themselves....with no escape....no nothing...
that would take care of a lot of crime, or....maybe we could build more prisions and put these criminals away on their first offense> hummmmm that might be a good way to help rid crime...?
Er... probably making alcohol is a little easier than making a gun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies