Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
there are numerous tests out there showing a 55gr FMJ fired from a Modern Supporting Rifle has less penetration thru sheet rock than buckshot from a shotgun & most pistol ammo.
anyone who says otherwise is ignorant of the facts.

I personally use an suppressed M4 in 300BLK w/subsonic expanding ammo & 9" barrel.

God bless America
I am not into guns all that anymore and never heard or read that. Great information. You could educate a few around here. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,377,353 times
All I am saying is, if I were living in or near a Waterton Mass (sp) right about now, I would be wanting serious firepower while I hole up waiting on the good guys to get the bad guy...

God bless the Police looking for the bad guy, and may all those in harms way, be able to protect themselves...

Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
All I am saying is, if I were living in or near a Waterton Mass (sp) right about now, I would be wanting serious firepower while I hole up waiting on the good guys to get the bad guy...

God bless the Police looking for the bad guy, and may all those in harms way, be able to protect themselves...
One revolver and one shot is all it might take for a diligent person all HOLED UP.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
One revolver and one shot is all it might take for a diligent person all HOLED UP.
One ar15 and many shots is all it might take as well.

I would have my ar15 handy if I was near Boston and on lock down right now. I would also be hoping the police catch him and be comes no where near my house.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:23 PM

510 posts, read 888,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I know a lot of people with lots of guns, including myself, and nobody uses this type of rifle for home defense. Handguns and shotguns is what we use, at least for indoor home defense.

For outdoor defense on a larger property, a rifle of that nature could be useful, although unlikely needed.

My ar's are not for defense, but for fun. They are tons of fun to shoot.
I tend to favor the short barreled, low powered rifles for in the home. Shotguns have so little spread at the ranges indoors that they are basically like shooting a rifle but without the sights for accuracy. The military and all the alphabet agencies/swat teams use rifles for entering homes and clearing them out. Figure if some tweeker takes someone hostage in home I can't guarantee a clean headshot with a shotgun or handgun, but with a rifle I won't have to think twice. Shotguns are in their element when you get to the 25-40 yard range. My preference would be a compact AR or MP5 or SteyrAug for the indoor stuff.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,655 times
If I was living in a city and I thank god I do not live in a cess pool I would have 2 weapons. One 9mm or 22 pistol for inside the house and a rifle with a magazine for a SHTF situation. Of course I would own a 12ga too so I can deer and turkey hunt.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's a 5.56mm round the round from my 8mm mauser K98 is far more dangerous and while the 223 punched a hole, the mauser would have blown the beam in 2, and kept on traveling. The 223 is a toy,.
You need to rethink that in close combat which the long range rifes ahve long eben seen a not the idea fo close range as evidences by weapon created startig i WWII to service the purpose better. I don't see nay army agreeing with you thru out the world.Have you ever been in a fiure fight?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
An AR-15 would be fine if you have a home out in the country/have property. In an apartment or home in an established neighborhood - I would recommend Taurus' "The Judge" that shoots both .45 and .410 shotgun rounds. I prefer a handgun over a shotgun for a home, but I think shotguns are more popular and certainly have more knockdown power. Either way, the Judge combines the best of both worlds - close quarter combat situation/CQB effectiveness (handguns are easier to bring to bear in CQB situations) and the punch of a shotgun (you won't need distance in a CQB situation).
"shoots both .45 and .410 shotgun rounds". There is also a shell that has BOTH.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There are some very knowledgeable people who have looked at 'The Judge' and given it a strong 'thumbs down.'

ArizonaShooting.com • View topic - Tom Givens take on the Taurus judge...
From your own site.

"As far as the judge specificallly, I have one of the first Taurus Judge pistols that came out, and I like it. Over the years many producers have come out with specific .410 personal defense loads for them. I have heard they are better, but have never tried them myself. The box of truth tore into the judge when it first came out as well. (because of the load)
I picked one up b/c I was intrigued by it, and I have kept it as it is a great pistol for the purpose I use it for. I take mine camping and fishing. I mix loads with it, bird shot for snakes at close range, 45 HP defense loads for something bigger.

I wouldn't call this review "a strong hand down".

"In my view, the Judge’s greatest utility comes as a defensive revolver. I thought that before the 3" version was available, and my opinion was reinforced with the availability of the longer gun. A long Judge will chamber a 000 load that delivers five pellets. At 70 grs., that would total 350 grs. of payload averaging 808 f.p.s. from the Judge’s short snout. That equates to 508 ft.-lbs of energy. A single hit from a standard 230-gr. .45 ACP load is about 370 ft.-lbs. Also a centered hit from the five 000 pellets would impact over a larger area and produce five individual wound channels. I fired a series of four targets with this load at short combat distances (3,5,7 and 9 yds.) and got increasingly larger groups of about 3", 6", 7" and 12", respectively. Beyond 9 to 10 yds., the groups opened up abruptly, and I often lost one of more pellets off the silhouette laterally. At close range, a single centered hit from the Judge (with 000) would be devastating. For longer ranges, the revolver cylinder offers the interesting possibility of pattern loading. You might try the first three chambers with 000 buckshot and the last two with .45 Colt lead."

The Judge Rules: Taurus Judge Review

I think the American Rifleman is pretty knowledgeable.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
The link I posted was a thread about an article/review of 'the Judge' that was in SWAT mag. I read the original article in the mag, but I don't think it's available on line. But the thread I linked to has a podcast in post #1 where the author talks about the article.

Here's a quote from the article that was reprinted in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givens
and it came up short in every thing we could think of to do with it..."

"The first test we did with it was at 5 yards, and the diameter of the birdshot pattern was a little over 30 inches. Now what that means is, if you are my spouse, and you're standing a foot away from somebody trying to kill you, and I try to shoot him, I'm gonna shoot both of you. Now, that seems counterproductive to me... and that's at 15 feet -- not at 15 yards."

"We tried it with 45 colt pistol ammunition ... the rifling has to be shallow in order to shoot birdshot or buckshot even badly, much less well... I was getting groups at 7 yards that I expect an over-the-counter service pistol to deliver at 25 yards..."

".. shot a 1 liter plastic bottle of water with buckshot at 15 feet, and some of it didn't even go through the near side, much less through the bottle -- didn't even get into the bottle, much less through the bottle."
As I recall he had some other complaints too. He said the double action trigger pull was very heavy due to the need for a heavy cylinder.

I will look at the American Rifleman piece--thanks for the link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies