Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A lot of misinformation here.

1. Pump action shotgun makes the worst home defense gun. Anybody who tells you otherwise have never been through a dynamic force on force scenario. It's slow to reload, limited on ammo, difficult to follow up, difficult to train on target, heavy and long to maneuver, terrible recoil. It's not for untrained hands and definitely a major turn off for women and kids. You can never shoot as fast as semi-auto.

2. Handgun, limited rounds, extremely difficult to shoot well. Deep and deep penetration, worse than 5.56.

3. There is a reason why most policemen pick AR15 as their main weapon. When SWAT team enters a house, you see AR15s in everybody's hands. Easy to shoot, 30 rounds as standard magazine, low recoil, fast reload, etc. If using correct ammo, limited penetration.

Yes, AR15 makes an excellent good home defense gun against multiple intruders but it has one drawback: it's too long. So most people choose a pistol as their choice.
You are correct about only one thing..there IS disinformation being spread in here and you are part of it There are two scenarios that I can see for someone using an AR for home defense...1) the homeowner lives alone out in the country with no close neighbors or 2) they are totally clueless about weapon choice or "right tool for the job". Most people need to quit reading these phony hokie "survivalist sites online ran by idiots with nothing but book experience and violent fantasys...take it from a former cop and graduate of an 8 week ERT course.leave the rambo crap to tv and learn to do the job without killing your kids or neighbors because you made a stupid decision based on the opinions of an idiot...also,someone untrained and unused to violece will not be in total control when confronted headon with the real deal and a sawed of shotgun(cut to legal length) works very nice under stress so do yourself and others who may be counting on you for your opinion,get your facts straight first and then post them...not gouging you to be mean,but there is so much bonline these last few years about weapons and which to use for what

Last edited by Swampmonster; 04-22-2013 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: i am sorry for all the typos but Im posting from an android..dont buy one of them either.junk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A lot of misinformation here.

1. Pump action shotgun makes the worst home defense gun. Anybody who tells you otherwise have never been through a dynamic force on force scenario. It's slow to reload, limited on ammo, difficult to follow up, difficult to train on target, heavy and long to maneuver, terrible recoil. It's not for untrained hands and definitely a major turn off for women and kids. You can never shoot as fast as semi-auto.

2. Handgun, limited rounds, extremely difficult to shoot well. Deep and deep penetration, worse than 5.56.

3. There is a reason why most policemen pick AR15 as their main weapon. When SWAT team enters a house, you see AR15s in everybody's hands. Easy to shoot, 30 rounds as standard magazine, low recoil, fast reload, etc. If using correct ammo, limited penetration.

Yes, AR15 makes an excellent good home defense gun against multiple intruders but it has one drawback: it's too long. So most people choose a pistol as their choice.
Which is why my recommendation was a 12 or 20-gauge shotgun. I didn't specify, but a short-barreled (18.5" legal) "tactical" shotgun with night sights and a flashlight (illuminate your target to avoid shooting a friendly, plus a narrow-beam flashlight can serve as a point of reference for aiming) would be best. Unless you go to the range A LOT to practice muscle-memory, skip the pump and get a reliable semi-auto. If you are of small stature, go with a 20-gauge with a pistol grip and a recoil-reducing (spring loaded) stock. I recommend a Mossburg SA-20: Mossberg & Sons | 75781

Don't use 00 buck unless you live in a concrete house with monkeywrench. Use #3 or #4 buck. Still has decent penetration, but won't go through quite as many walls.

There's still the disadvantage of limited number of rounds (5+1, and I'm unaware of a magazine extension for this weapon), but unless you're planning on defending a gun store, have valuables worth millions, or have royally p|ssed off a drug-dealing gang leader, I can't see your average group of bad guys hanging around past 6 rounds of buckshot.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Which is why my recommendation was a 12 or 20-gauge shotgun. I didn't specify, but a short-barreled (18.5" legal) "tactical" shotgun with night sights and a flashlight (illuminate your target to avoid shooting a friendly, plus a narrow-beam flashlight can serve as a point of reference for aiming) would be best. Unless you go to the range A LOT to practice muscle-memory, skip the pump and get a reliable semi-auto. If you are of small stature, go with a 20-gauge with a pistol grip and a recoil-reducing (spring loaded) stock. I recommend a Mossburg SA-20: Mossberg & Sons | 75781

Don't use 00 buck unless you live in a concrete house with monkeywrench. Use #3 or #4 buck. Still has decent penetration, but won't go through quite as many walls.

There's still the disadvantage of limited number of rounds (5+1, and I'm unaware of a magazine extension for this weapon), but unless you're planning on defending a gun store, have valuables worth millions, or have royally p|ssed off a drug-dealing gang leader, I can't see your average group of bad guys hanging around past 6 rounds of buckshot.

You better hope they don't hang around, because you would be out of ammo and would be stuck reloading the hardest weapon to master reloading on.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
This is a question. Don't get your panties in a wad if i don't use terminology you like.

Seems to me that shouldn't i be very concerned as in scared ****less should some one other than me be doing a home defense with a rifle?Years ago as like in the early 70's a friend had a AR-15 that was .223 caliber. He shot it right through a Bridge beam that was very thick from an old torn down bridge.
I am thinking that when someone starts shooting a rifle in housing or apartment areas then a lot of holes can be punched through walls( of people not involved other than living next door). Am i right?

I dunno, wouldn't that be a bit messy?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This debate is kind of insane.

I worked in home security and have spent a ton of hours with guns in the lab, field, and in the books.

There are way too many variables in choosing a gun for home protection to just say gun A is better than gun B.

The state you live in, your hand size, willingness to clean your weapon, your strength, how humid it is in your house, and so many other factors all play a role in your choice.

Bottom line is...if you aren't comfortable with your weapon and able to use it properly when it's time to use it then you really aren't protecting yourself to the best of your ability.

Do research, go to the range and actually shoot guns to see how it feels!!! You'd be shocked to know how many people own guns they don't feel comfortable wiith. Ask local law enforcement what they would suggest.

Gun choice for home protection really is an extremely personalized decision.
We took a class with a retired police sergeant and NRA certified instructor. We tried a bunch of different weapons with him and ended up choosing a Glock for home defense. That was the weapon that both I and my wife were most comfortable with. I take it to the range and am pretty accurate at the distances I would expect to be shooting if I had intruders in my home. The magazine holds 18 rounds and, based on my practice at the range, I would expect that to be more than sufficient.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Handgun way more useful for home defense.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM

977 posts, read 763,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
This is a question. Don't get your panties in a wad if i don't use terminology you like.

Seems to me that shouldn't i be very concerned as in scared ****less should some one other than me be doing a home defense with a rifle?Years ago as like in the early 70's a friend had a AR-15 that was .223 caliber. He shot it right through a Bridge beam that was very thick from an old torn down bridge.
I am thinking that when someone starts shooting a rifle in housing or apartment areas then a lot of holes can be punched through walls( of people not involved other than living next door). Am i right?
You shouldn't keep any firearm for home protection that could take out your neighbor.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's a 5.56mm round the round from my 8mm mauser K98 is far more dangerous and while the 223 punched a hole, the mauser would have blown the beam in 2, and kept on traveling. The 223 is a toy,.
I keep it simple yet effective. Glock 21 .45 acp 230 load hollow point. It negates the threat and doesn't hurt the people next door. I thought about the DE .50 but then I thought about the people next door.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Handgun way more useful for home defense.
Yes. Or a shotgun. You'll definitely hit the intruder with that.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
Why limit yourself? My neighbor protects himself with "hopes and prayers"...the rest of us have varied handguns and shotguns. We figure with him praying...and the rest of us 'defending'--we are in great shape.

To each his own.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies