Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
The vast majority. Why, how many do you think?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This is what I have been saying for a while, too, and I use my own boys as examples (I have five boys ranging from 18 to almost 38). There is a huge difference in how they think and their world experiences, even between the 18-year-old, who just graduated high school, started his first job, and is looking for an apartment, and the almost 23-year-old, who has been a self-supporting adult for the last four years and who just bought his first home.

There was an eleven year age difference between Trayvon and Zimmerman and I find it difficult to understand why so many give Zimmerman a pass for the poor choices he made that night while holding Trayvon responsible for what happened (he should have run home, he should have called 9-1-1, etc.).
So true, Trayvon should have had all the wisdom to know exactly what best to do, and not react how,... well... like a teenage boy would!

But Zimmerman who did instigate the entire incident and was armed to boot...well...he has a right to defend himself.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
At the risk of being obnoxious, just imagine that the roles had been reversed, Trayvon had been armed, and for some reason had followed Zimmerman on that dark rainy night, first in his car, and then by foot, and then, after an altercation, shot Zimmerman to death. What do you think would have happened?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 AM

688 posts, read 652,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This is what I have been saying for a while, too, and I use my own boys as examples (I have five boys ranging from 18 to almost 38). There is a huge difference in how they think and their world experiences, even between the 18-year-old, who just graduated high school, started his first job, and is looking for an apartment, and the almost 23-year-old, who has been a self-supporting adult for the last four years and who just bought his first home.

There was an eleven year age difference between Trayvon and Zimmerman and I find it difficult to understand why so many give Zimmerman a pass for the poor choices he made that night while holding Trayvon responsible for what happened (he should have run home, he should have called 9-1-1, etc.).
Thanks, and that's all I was trying to say. The growth between 17 and 27 is quite possibly the largest we humans make in a lifetime as far as decision making/grasp on reality is concerned.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that the state hasn't brought this up (to my knowledge).

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
And how many young adults do you know that respect older adults?
Quote:
The vast majority. Why, how many do you think?
Quote:
Care to explain?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
I agree with you here. It's as if many posters here don't give allowance for the difference in age between the two. If we all look back at the stages of growth in our lives, and the changes, concessions, naiveté, know-it-all attitudes, as well as our time believing that our wildest dreams are possible into the time that we settled into a "regular" life; then Trayvon Martin deserves a lot slack in regard to incriminating photos or +marijuana tests.
I want to comment on this part of your post, too, because so many are so sure that Trayvon was a wannabe gangster, a thug, who was destined to end up in prison if a "patriot" like Zimmerman hadn't come along and done us all a favor.

NONE of us know what he might have become - he may very well have outgrown a lot of the stupid stuff he was dabbling in and gone on to be a fine, responsible, productive young man.

A lot of kids struggle a little through their teenage years, trying to figure out who they are and what direction they want to go in; it doesn't have to mean they are doomed to a life of crime.

Again, NONE of us know the adult Trayvon may have become - if he had had a chance to grow up.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:42 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Mainstream Media Race Hustling has Put George Zimmerman on Trial

The mainstream media did not handle that call responsibly, at all. Instead of airing the call as it was made on the night of February 26, NBC News deceptively edited it to make it appear that Zimmerman targeted Martin because the teen was black.
And let's not forget the silliness of The Young Turks and their wrong assumption about what was said. That video still shows up here as being gospel truth; people still actually believe it.

There was MUCH creative editing and assuming and now the truth, as most of us with brains that think instead of emote, saw from the beginning.

This story was never controversial. The media spun it and just plain made it up as they went along. That certain segment of society that can't think straight to begin with fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
And let's not forget the silliness of The Young Turks and their wrong assumption about what was said. That video still shows up here as being gospel truth; people still actually believe it.

There was MUCH creative editing and assuming and now the truth, as most of us with brains that think instead of emote, saw from the beginning.

This story was never controversial. The media spun it and just plain made it up as they went along. That certain segment of society that can't think straight to begin with fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.
As a person living in central Florida, the case was likely buried because the Sanford PD was/is a bad department (Not saying that they're corrupt, but they are not good at what they do, and that includes preserving evidence.). Whether or not a case is worthy of prosecution is up to the DA's office; the Sanford police should have investigated according to their duty; and their duty was not to decide that "the case shouldn't go any further, and so there is no need to follow-up with witnesses." The lack of action on the Sanford PD's part is what made this national news... To be fair, let's be real here. The reason that this case made headlines across the country is because of the lack of action...

Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 AM

226 posts, read 230,179 times
Quote:
Thanks, and that's all I was trying to say. The growth between 17 and 27 is quite possibly the largest we humans make in a lifetime as far as decision making/grasp on reality is concerned.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that the state hasn't brought this up (to my knowledge).
Experience the 'Shroud Of Trayvon'. I think from the looks of that.........that he was a big individual compared to Zimmerman.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
"The Shroud of Trayvon". That's just plain funny. Thanks for the late night giggle as I totter off to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies