Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I don't have to; that is up to each person whether to believe or not. And it would be silly to try and "prove" faith to non-believers.

Enjoy your popcorn.
I do enjoy my popcorn, especially popped in a kettle over the stove with butter.

Well then what are you arguing about?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:46 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I haven't gone to Trader Joe's in years, last time I went I didn't like their produce selection.
so you prefer walmart over trader joe's. tisk tisk.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
so you prefer walmart over trader joe's. tisk tisk.
Oh, could you point out where I stated that? Thanks.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
I am a supporter of same sex marriage, so I will answer your questions:

1) Should people be able to marry relatives?
I guess. If I'm being realistic, it doesn't do much harm. I know we constantly hear of weird genetic mutations that happen when relatives mate, but that's actually not entirely true. The rate of disability and physical mutations between products of incest is much lower that people say to scare us away from it.
With that said, I think we need to look at this from another perspective: How often does this happen? I'd say a very tiny percentage of the population would have a desire to marry a sibling or close relative.

2) Should people be allowed to have multiple spouses?
Why not. What harm does that do. I personally think that a healthy relationship is between two people, but that doesn't mean much when it comes to marriage. Look at the divorce rate. The current system obviously has flaws. Polygamy is just another thing that has very little effect to society at large. We've been so hard wired to think marriage is just two people, that even if it were legal to have multiple spouses, very few would actually do it.

3) Should people able to marry children?
No. We have an age of consent for a reason. Children can be easily convinced of things. Kids manage to convince each other that monsters live under their beds. Imagine what a 40 year old man can get an 8 year old to do.
Obviously with older kids (12-15) it's a little different. They aren't as easily convinced but I still highly doubt a person that young would ever really want to marry a grown man (or woman). If they do though, they can't wait until their old enough. If every other form of marriage you speak of was legalized, I'd say they all have to wait for the proper age too.

4) Should people be able to marry animals?
No. That's not really possible, is it? A marriage is a social contract. How do we express this contract? With words. I know there are some very intelligent animals, but they just couldn't possibly know they are agreeing to marriage, and I firmly believe marriage should always be consensual. Any contract should be consensual.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I do enjoy my popcorn, especially popped in a kettle over the stove with butter.
Sounds good!

Quote:
Well then what are you arguing about?
Since you seem to be a non-believer, I don't think you would understand.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Since you seem to be a non-believer, I don't think you would understand.
Oh, this is such a tired piece of baseless nonsense. The idea that someone who believes in a certain deity or follows a certain religion is somehow special like a unicorn made out of snowflakes and has been touched by The Almighty and enlightened and somehow capable of fathoming the deepest of mysteries that would be lost on anyone who doesn't believe as they do...what a bunch of weak BS.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Oh, this is such a tired piece of baseless nonsense. The idea that someone who believes in a certain deity or follows a certain religion is somehow special like a unicorn made out of snowflakes and has been touched by The Almighty and enlightened and somehow capable of fathoming the deepest of mysteries that would be lost on anyone who doesn't believe as they do...what a bunch of weak BS.
You are free to believe whatever you want. I have faith; you obviously do not.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
I have faith in lots of things; just not in an invisible supernatural deity named Yahweh (patron god of some sects of ancient Hebrews) who created everything and controls our fates.

If there had now or ever been the slightest shred of evidence for this god or any other, I might be inclined to believe in them. Seeing as how there is not now nor has there ever been any evidence, I simply won't default to the belief in a god or gods and instead be content in realizing the fact that whether or not a god or gods exist is just more than any human knows.

What is offensive about what you said is the idea that somehow a person not having faith renders them incapable of even comprehending the idea of a god or gods and what their existence might entail.

That's nothing but pure nonsense and BS of course.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
You have blind faith in something with no proof of. You are the one with the burden to show proof of a god you claim exists, yet cannot show any proof but to just say you have faith in its existance. Still does not show or prove the existance of your sky daddy.. One would think with all the technology and science we have that something like that would be simple. But one cannot prove the existance of something that does not exist.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
I can't imagine what this evidence would be. There's nothing I can't think of that wouldn't be more easily explained by mental illness or hallucination, mortal beings with entirely natural abilities we don't understand, or truly mind-bogglingly advanced technologies, technology so advanced we wouldn't even recognize the devices or realize much less understand what they're doing.

I'm more likely to believe in Vorlons than I am in gods, and I'm not all that likely to believe in Vorlons. More's the pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies