Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why don't you grow up and get that chip off your shoulder?
I don't know what chip your talking about. You don't know me at all personally so don't know what would make you say that.

But back to the title.

Do you have an opinion? It's covers some broad issues.

Racial profiling (not just blacks). The rise (or revealing) of widespread abuses by our Police forces. The Civil Rights violations of millions of Americans. Immoral relationships between private prison systems and government functions (quotas, guaranteed occupation rates, ...related).

Why was stop and frisk allowed to go on so long in New York?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:04 PM

Why do we have more people in prison, than China or India? Why are certain neighborhoods more violent than others?

There's violent neighborhoods in Eastern Kentucky/Tennessee just like there are in Chicago and Detroit. Why are we much more violent than other developed countries?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 PM

https://www.blackmediascoop.com/poli...dodge-charger/

“I’m still constantly telling him I do not give you consent to search my car and that’s when he pulled his Taser out and he pointed it at me. He told me to turn around and put my hands behind my back, and he walked over and placed me in handcuffs,” Williamson said, “After he didn’t find anything, that’s when he came back and he took the handcuffs off of me.”

In all three of the above cases, police found nothing during the search. All of the drivers filed police department complaints. All were driving DODGE CHARGERS.

“I had never heard of car profiling, not until now,” Williamson said.

Another Gwinnett police officer who witnessed the search filed a complaint against the officer who did it. In a written report, an internal affairs investigator admitted Williamson’s ‘vehicle would draw the attention of police officers.’

Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
Put black cops in black hoods and see if blacks get arrested. Do the same for Latins and whites.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Put black cops in black hoods and see if blacks get arrested. Do the same for Latins and whites.
You can still be racist against your own race. Some any of the black officers I've dealt with have been the most corrupt. In fact, as a black male, I haven't had an issue with any white officers other than being pulled over for no reason at all. The only issues I've had, involved black officers.

Here's an article on a series of protest that took place last month. I scanned the article and found some relevant statistics.

'They treat us like animals!' Dozens of US cities unite in protests against police brutality ? RT USA

The activists say most of the cases have been underreported or brushed aside.

“Hundreds every year are killed by the police, and the majority of them are unarmed, not involved in any criminal activity when they were killed. And also the majority of them were young, and either black or Latino,” Carl Dix, representative for ‘October 22 Coalition’ tom stop police brutality, indicated to RT.

The activists are also bothered about the fact that the representation of the killed or imprisoned protesters may be too far from the real state of things.

“The mass media are very good at propaganda, so a lot of people are under the impression that people who have been stopped and frisked and are being gunned down are somehow criminals,” activist Gil Barosa told RT.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:49 AM

For those who think I'm embellishing...

Earl Sampson has been stopped and questioned by Miami Gardens police 258 times in four years.

Read more here: In Miami Gardens, store video catches cops in the act - Miami Gardens / Opa-locka - MiamiHerald.com

The videos show, among other things, cops stopping citizens, questioning them, aggressively searching them and arresting them for trespassing when they have permission to be on the premises; officers conducting searches of Saleh’s business without search warrants or permission; using what appears to be excessive force on subjects who are clearly not resisting arrest and filing inaccurate police reports in connection with the arrests.

Read more here: In Miami Gardens, store video catches cops in the act - Miami Gardens / Opa-locka - MiamiHerald.com

Saleh, whose store is tucked between a public park and working-class neighborhoods, contends that Miami Gardens police officers have repeatedly used racial slurs to refer to his customers and treat most of them like they are hardened criminals.

“Police line them up and tell them to put their hands against the wall. I started asking myself ‘Is this normal?’ I just kept thinking police can’t do this,’’ Saleh said.

Last year, Saleh, armed with a cache of videos, filed an internal affairs complaint about the arrests at his store. From that point, he said, police officers became even more aggressive.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/2...#storylink=cpy

Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Almost immediately after Saleh put the “zero-tolerance” sign in his window, he regretted it.

Miami Gardens police officers, he said, began stopping his patrons regularly, citing them for minor infractions such as trespassing, or having an open container of alcohol. The officers, he said, would then pat them down or stick their hands in citizens’ pockets. But what bothered Saleh the most was the emboldened behavior of the officers who came into his store unannounced, searched his store without his permission and then hauled his employees away in the middle of their shifts. He finally told them he no longer wanted to participate in the program and removed the sign.

The officers, however, continued their surveillance of his store over his objections. The officers even put the sign back on his store against his wishes, he said.

One video, recorded on June 26, 2012, shows Sampson, clearly stocking coolers, being interrupted by MGPD Sgt. William Dunaske, who orders him to put his hands behind his back, and then handcuffs him, leads him out of the store and takes him to jail for trespassing.

More than once, Saleh has told police that Sampson is an employee and is not trespassing.

On that June arrest report, obtained by The Herald, police explained the trespass arrest, saying that Sampson was arrested for loitering outside the store when in fact the video, which has a date and time stamp, clearly shows him being handcuffed and arrested inside the store.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
^ Being from the Miami area the city of Miami Gardens is the largest incorporated black city in the state of Florida with over 109,000 residents. It is mostly middle class too. Ironically the police force is mostly white. How bad can crime be in Miami Gardens if the police continually stake out this store? The videos on the Miami Herald website are incredible to say the least.

Last edited by MiamiRob; 11-23-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 03:30 PM

SF police officer sues city for alleged racial profiling,... | www.ktvu.com

"A San Francisco police officer who claims he was racially profiled has sued the city and several fellow officers in federal court for allegedly choking him and tackling him to the ground during a traffic stop in May..."

Old 11-27-2013, 03:33 PM

Nia Wilson, a coalition member of FADE (Fostering Alternatives to Drug Enforcement) said she was disappointed by the police department’s presentation.

“The department talked about the good they do in the community, but didn’t address the concerns,” Wilson said. “Calling concerned community members detractors is an indicator of how serious they take our concerns.”

Ian Mance, a civil rights attorney for the Southern Coalition for Social Justice echoed her sentiments.

“Although it’s good to see the department finally acknowledge that these large racial disparities exist, the department failed to offer any explanation for them,” Mance said. “Strategic deployment decisions may explain some of the disparities in the stop numbers, but they can’t explain the search numbers.

Read more here: DURHAM: Police deny claims of racial profiling in Durham | Crime | NewsObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies