Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's not the question. Say it's just you and your wife in bed and you wake to find someone standing over your bed.

Would you shoot that person ?
I don't store my weapon on my bed, so I couldn't.

Neeeeeeext.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
According to THE DAUGHTER, she did NOT know the man in question. That is what she told her father. The mindset at 2:00...a stranger is in the house, in his teenage daughter's bedroom...and she claims to not know him. What RESPONSIBLE parent would not be "on edge" with a stranger in his teenage daughter's bedroom in the middle of the night? His reaching for "something" would be very reasonable to expect as reaching for a weapon.

Lessons to be learned...if you want to bang your boyfriend in your parent's house in the middle of the night, WHILE THEY ARE IN THE NEXT ROOM...either don't do it, or don't lie about it and put someone else's life at risk. I have to wonder if she will be prosecuted for manslaughter? This situation is similar to the old "yelling fire in a crowded theater" one. She didn't kill anyone but through her actions (and the young mans) she created the situation that caused it to happen.

So...what is the father supposed to do? "OK, you're in my daughters bedroom in the middle of the night, she doesn't know you. OK, carry on, I'm going back to bed".
I wasn't talking about this situation. I was responding to Workinhard's postsaying he would shoot first and then ascertain later who he shot. This father I feel sorry for, but Workin Hard, not so much.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,895 times
The dad and most importantly his daughter should face charges. I dont for one second believe he saw the kid reach for something. It is a very sad story, and should be a cautionary tale to all who would sneak in someone's house. I think initially the dad probably thought something was awry, but after asking, and the kid identified himself, he shouldnt have shot him. Its sad that he thought his daughter was incapable of being sexually active, and not to mention disrespectful of her parents home.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I don't store my weapon on my bed, so I couldn't.

Neeeeeeext.
Just curious. Do you keep a weapon loaded and reasonably available or unloaded with the ammunition stored far away? And what do you do, or what do you carry, if you hear an unfamiliar noise in the house at night?

Do you keep ink in the pens in your house or simply put it in when needed?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:40 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
I don't store my weapon on my bed, so I couldn't..
So answer the question.......

It's 3am, it's dark in your house and there is an unknown stranger in your home. Would you shoot that stranger if you had access to your gun ?

You said earlier you carry a gun. You should have it semi-close by at night right ?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 AM

679 posts, read 615,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So answer the question.......

It's 3am, it's dark in your house and there is an unknown stranger in your home. Would you shoot that stranger if you had access to your gun ?

You said earlier you carry a gun. You should have it semi-close by at night right ?
If your first response to having just woken up at 3am and seeing someone in your room is to immediately shoot them, then that's messed up

Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the kid called the guys daughter a lying *****, which probably really pissed off the dad.
If the incident happened as reported, I would think this happened quickly. One would hope the guy wouldn't shoot the kid for calling his daughter a liar. My guess is he didn't believe the guy, and believed his daughter.

Now I'm not ruling out the possibility that he shot him and then the father and daughter came up with a story to keep his azz out of jail. However, I have a hard time believing the daughter would be in the mood to cover for her dad after he killed her friend. At this point, without more information, I am basing my feelings about the case based on the information known.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
If your first response to having just woken up at 3am and seeing someone in your room is to immediately shoot them, then that's messed up
Seriously, is that what you or most would do ? Would you not grab your gun and go investigate ?

We're not talking Oscar Pestoris.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I wasn't talking about this situation. I was responding to Workinhard's postsaying he would shoot first and then ascertain later who he shot. This father I feel sorry for, but Workin Hard, not so much.
As long as I know where my wife and daughter are, then anyone else I encounter in my home when I have no reason to expect them there is subject to being shot on sight, particularly if their presence is inexplainable. And finding a male in my daughter's room at 2:00am would qualify as inexplainable. The reasonable presumption is that an intruder, any intruder, is in your home to cause harm, physical or economic, to you or your family.

We don't know if the kid identified himself. That's not in the story. But him giving his name, if indeed he did so, does not change the fact that he was found in the daughter's room in the middle of the night without valid cause. (And having a late-night stiffy is not valid cause.)

There's a lot of anti-gun folks here reading stuff into the story that's not there. We don't know what the exchanges were between the parties, other than the daughter denied knowing the kid initially and the father told him to remain still. We don't know if the kid was found naked or not. I don't remember that the father was black or white (not that it matters) but some sure seem to want to add a lot of issues to make their case. Let's stick to what the original story reports and base discussions on that, ok?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post

I don't know if a complete stranger is in my room at 3AM, and they weren't invited, it's a good bet they're gonna get f***ed up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies