Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
If your first response to having just woken up at 3am and seeing someone in your room is to immediately shoot them, then that's messed up
And what would you do? Make them cocoa? Someone comes at 3:00am not only into your home, but goes so far as to enter the room where you (and perhaps your wife) are sleeping? You're in a totally defenseless position and at their mercy and you would not take any opportunity to shoot given the chance? For what purpose might you imagine them to be there? Measuring for new drapes as a surprise for you?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
As long as I know where my wife and daughter are, then anyone else I encounter in my home when I have no reason to expect them there is subject to being shot on sight, particularly if their presence is inexplainable. And finding a male in my daughter's room at 2:00am would qualify as inexplainable. The reasonable presumption is that an intruder, any intruder, is in your home to cause harm, physical or economic, to you or your family.

We don't know if the kid identified himself. That's not in the story. But him giving his name, if indeed he did so, does not change the fact that he was found in the daughter's room in the middle of the night without valid cause. (And having a late-night stiffy is not valid cause.)

There's a lot of anti-gun folks here reading stuff into the story that's not there. We don't know what the exchanges were between the parties, other than the daughter denied knowing the kid initially and the father told him to remain still. We don't know if the kid was found naked or not. I don't remember that the father was black or white (not that it matters) but some sure seem to want to add a lot of issues to make their case. Let's stick to what the original story reports and base discussions on that, ok?
I can understand how this incident could happen, but you posted earlier that if you found someone in your daughter's room, you would shoot and then ascertain later who that person was. At least this dad seems to have tried to determine whether this guy was there at his daughter's request.

I just think shooting first and asking questions later is stupid. At least make sure it's not someone known to your kid first. How many times do we hear about a dad killing his own kid thinking it was a burglar? At that point, you aren't thinking you were justified because your kid shouldn't have been walking through the house late at night. You're mourning the fact that you will never see your child again.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:00 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Just curious. Do you keep a weapon loaded and reasonably available or unloaded with the ammunition stored far away? And what do you do, or what do you carry, if you hear an unfamiliar noise in the house at night?

Do you keep ink in the pens in your house or simply put it in when needed?
Unloaded, I can load my semi auto in approximately 1.5 seconds flat in the dark.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So answer the question.......

It's 3am, it's dark in your house and there is an unknown stranger in your home. Would you shoot that stranger if you had access to your gun ?

You said earlier you carry a gun. You should have it semi-close by at night right ?
I wouldn't ask my daughter if she was banging the stranger, unless I suspected it was her boyfriend.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM

679 posts, read 615,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I don't know if a complete stranger is in my room at 3AM, and they weren't invited, it's a good bet they're gonna get f***ed up!
Quote:
And what would you do? Make them cocoa? Someone comes at 3:00am not only into your home, but goes so far as to enter the room where you (and perhaps your wife) are sleeping? You're in a totally defenseless position and at their mercy and you would not take any opportunity to shoot given the chance? For what purpose might you imagine them to be there? Measuring for new drapes as a surprise for you?
Hence why I said immediately. You wake up at 3am your perception/judgement/brain aren't working at a very high caliber and there could be any number of things going on that you aren't knowledgeable of. Maybe there's a fire or something that you've slept through and that's the fireman here to get you out of the house, maybe its your son that you've misread as an intruder. Of course, maybe that's a crazed person about to stab you both.

Pulling a gun out and shooting without having an understanding as to what the situation is, is a horrible mindset to approach what could end horribly (much like what happened here).

Old 03-14-2014, 11:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Hence why I said immediately. You wake up at 3am your perception/judgement/brain aren't working at a very high caliber and there could be any number of things going on that you aren't knowledgeable of. Maybe there's a fire or something that you've slept through and that's the fireman here to get you out of the house, maybe its your son that you've misread as an intruder. Of course, maybe that's a crazed person about to stab you both.

Pulling a gun out and shooting without having an understanding as to what the situation is, is a horrible mindset to approach what could end horribly (much like what happened here).

We can play the "what if" game forever, and I somewhat agree with your premise. However; the daughter and the kid also had a horrible mind set as well by doing what they did, without thinking of the risks or the potential consequences. Just a bad situation all around.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
We can play the "what if" game forever, and I somewhat agree with your premise. However; the daughter and the kid also had a horrible mind set as well by doing what they did, without thinking of the risks or the potential consequences. Just a bad situation all around.
Very few teens get killed for sneaking into their girlfriends room, this aint Saudia Arabia.

The USA does not have Sharia Law.

679 posts, read 615,049 times
Quote:
Agreed, no one handled that situation well. Its definitely not something where I think any one person is at fault, I don't think that the father should be demonized as just walking in and shooting the kid, but I also don't think that he should walk free. Similarly for the daughter.

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I wouldn't ask my daughter if she was banging the stranger, unless I suspected it was her boyfriend.
That's what will be a part of the investigation. My thinking is that the guy was standing next to the bed his daughter was lying in and he asked if she knew the guy. The daughter says no. So, after being woke up in the middle of the night by another child saying someone was in his daughter's room, he has a gun thinking an intruder is in the house, and his daughter claims not to know the guy. Not a good recipe for clear thinking.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Curious, would you ever shoot a stranger in your home at 3am ?

If not, would you just call the cops and wait until they arrived ?
I"m not sure what relevance this is to the story because the man was not a stranger but a guest of the daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies