Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'll use you and me to explain why you don't understand what Gruber wanted to hide. Let's say neither of us has insurance.
There is no need to invent your own version of it. Read his own words below. The claim is very plain and simple. He though people didn't know the healthy pay for the sick, but that was actually an ACA selling point.

"if you had a law which said healthy people are gonna pay in... If you made it explicit the
healthy people pay in and sick people get money, it would not have passed"

Very simple.

Don't you find it strange that the guy says he is a liar, and here you are insisting on believing everything he says, even when it doesn't make any sense?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Now you're trying to spin
I am using his own words He thinks no one knew about healthy paying for the sick, but it was actually a selling point for ACA. I never said the young were exited about having to buy insurance, but it sure as heck was not a secret. Personally I had insurance even when I was young, but I am sure there were some who declined.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-17-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 09:14 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am using his own words He thinks no one knew about healthy paying for the poor, but it was actually a selling point for ACA.
Gruber didn't say poor. He said sick. And even Pelosi didn't know the ACA severely limited the maximum premium ratio between the healthy and the sick. She said, "we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it"

And charging responsible healthy people more to fund health care for many who have irresponsibly saddled themselves with self-inflicted illnesses is not a selling point. That's why Gruber knew they couldn't be transparent about the ACA's effect on healthy people's premiums.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Gruber didn't say poor. He said sick.
Yes, I meant sick.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
What is the difference between Federally mandated health insurance and federally mandated flood insurance? I live in a hilltop and have to pay for the flood insurance of someone on a stream bank.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:22 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What is the difference between Federally mandated health insurance and federally mandated flood insurance?
Not everyone has to buy flood insurance or be fined.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What is the difference between Federally mandated health insurance and federally mandated flood insurance? I live in a hilltop and have to pay for the flood insurance of someone on a stream bank.
All insurances work around the same basic idea. You pay a premium even when there is no flood, and when there is a flood, those whose houses were flooded get paid, while those who stayed dry don't get a refund. Instead, they will keep paying their premiums.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-17-2014 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is no need to invent your own version of it. Read his own words below. The claim is very plain and simple. He though people didn't know the healthy pay for the sick, but that was actually an ACA selling point.

"if you had a law which said healthy people are gonna pay in... If you made it explicit the
healthy people pay in and sick people get money, it would not have passed"

Very simple.

Don't you find it strange that the guy says he is a liar, and here you are insisting on believing everything he says, even when it doesn't make any sense?
You leave out 6 words that matter, but may be too technical for you:

'In terms of risk rated subsidies, if you had a law which said that healthy people are going to pay in – you made explicit healthy people pay in and sick people get money, it would not have passed"

Risk-rating is basic insurance. What Gruber wanted to hide is that Ocare eliminated ALL risk-rating for the already sick. Of course premiums from healthy people pay for insured who become sick. What's different, and the opposite of insurance, is giving already sick people the same or lower premiums than healthy people.

I can't prove one way or another what members of Congress knew. I can only suspect that in my example you ignored, at least Some members wouldn't like the idea that premiums for drug addict me, with cirrhosis of the liver, AIDS, collapsed veins, and hepatitis would be less than premiums for healthy you.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quiz: why didn't Obola go for single payer?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Gruber: Obama personally asked me to help disguise unhelpful Obamacare facts « Hot Air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies