Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
That may be true now, but things could change. I suspect that in certain age groups, people without visible tattoos are in the minority. Today's frat boys sporting full sleeves and a neck tattoo may be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company sometime soon.
Um, no. No they won't.

Sure, they might start their own tech company or something but you don't climb the corporate ranks looking like birdman (player on Miami Heat).

Anyone telling you otherwise is just being nice, but not honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
As hip hop has increased in mainstream popularity(last 20 years) violent crime in black neighborhoods(and in America period) has also decreased.

Blaming rap music is so 1992. It exists in this alternate reality where

A. The black community was in this great shape economically/politically/socially pre 1970s(before hip hop started... Hint it wasn't)
B. Black people don't have the mental capacity to distinguish rap fantasy from reality, and will kill/Rob/sell drugs because a rapper said it
C. Whites aren't the overwhelming biggest consumers of the genre. Look at cd and concert sales... Hint they are and it's not even close.
but Chicago!!!

for some reason people think black crime and black pregnancy is increasing when they are actually trending in the opposite direction.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 AM

546 posts, read 408,755 times
I wouldn't say hip-hop is the cause of the decline, but I think it has contributed.

I would also say some rock in the 60s and 70s contributed to increasing drug use in that era, but it wasn't the cause.

Any aspect of pop culture can have an undue influence on kids who are especially vulnerable to it, in the absence of strong positive role models.

This isn't restricted to rap or hip-hop by any means. Nor does it mean a particular aspect of pop culture is going to be negative - A kid may be inspired by positive role models who serve as a guide how not repeat the mistakes of their parents or friends.

But for the influence to be strong, it has to be relatable.

Kids who've never been within 10 miles of an inner city rife with gangs and drugs and crime may find hip-hop more diversionary than anything. They dance to it, like the beat, feel edgy, without ascribing any meaning to the lyrics, as the lyrics don't relate to their lives.

Kids in the midst of the inner city, who have no positive influences providing a way to escape that life, relate to the lyrics, and can be more susceptible to believing that emulation of the lifestyle is how to survive.

The answer isn't banning or censoring hip-hop or other music, movies or television. It's changing the conditions in which the vulnerable kids live.

I grew up in the 70s, with loving but not always present parents. I can say I was influenced by the "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" culture. But I had enough in the way of guidance to not be completely sucked in, but I did some experimentation. Others of that era were not so fortunate.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:20 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I don't remember which artist said it, he said that art is so persistent in all our cultures because it is a means of the culture to survive. It is that art, at its fullest capacity, makes us attentive.
You can re-engage reality through art, and you see the distinction between what you thought things were and what they actually are. It is for human consciousness.

I actually listened to Tupac's life goes on for days after I lost a boyfriend to suicide. All I heard was "life goes on, there is a heaven for a G" Nothing else. You see the world with your imagination being limited through your mentality, capacity and knowledge. So, art is someone’s imagination seeming to feel real.

Some use it to escape..

I don't think you can blame a type of music for the deterioration of any communities, but I think music can be a big hindrance on interpersonal relationships. I think his word has been taken out of context.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:39 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times
What an idiot, gangsta rap hasn't been popular since the late 90's. The biggest fans of that type of music are at least in their mid 30's now. Guess Carson fits right in with the Teabaggers in being completely out of touch. He's next going to blame people wearing their pants low and the TV show Martin.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
What an idiot, gangsta rap hasn't been popular since the late 90's. The biggest fans of that type of music are at least in their mid 30's now. Guess Carson fits right in with the Teabaggers in being completely out of touch. He's next going to blame people wearing their pants low and the TV show Martin.

Carson is 100% black and came from poverty unlike the half breed in the WH now that was raised by his white grandparents in the best private schools in Hawaii and never experience the poverty in the black communities.

Carson knows a lot more about the problems in the black community than Obama..............some blacks don't like to hear the truth.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Carson is 100% black and came from poverty unlike the half breed in the WH now that was raised by his white grandparents in the best private schools in Hawaii and never experience the poverty in the black communities.

Carson knows a lot more about the problems in the black community than Obama..............some blacks don't like to hear the truth.
Half breed?

But you're not a racist, right?

Lemme guess...conservative Republican?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:36 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Half breed?

But you're not a racist, right?

Lemme guess...conservative Republican?

I'm half breed.....I guess I'm racist towards myself also!

throwing the racist card on everything.......let me guess.....liberal Democrat?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:48 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

I can understand where Carson is coming from. However, I disagree that hip-hop was mainly to blame. It didn't get popular until the 1980s. There was alot of violence coming from impoverished Black youths in the 70s and late 60s. Consider all of the riots that took place.

A better question would be this. Why is it that White youths can listen to hip-hop(and especially the violent hip-hop) and not go out and do the things described in those songs?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:06 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
I'm a white active Tea Party guy who likes hip-hop. Like any genre you will find garbage on the low end to true art on the high end, with everything in between.

Wu-Tang and Nas alone can carry the medium pretty damned far on their own. But, I'm biased towards east coast.

Ben Carson would make a great Secretary of Health and Human Services, but not POTUS.
How Does not compute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies