Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Because almost every country has signed international treaties agreeing to criminalize cannabis.
I'm glad to see that someone has an understanding of the parameters put in place from the war on drugs.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:33 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
OK... so now a user does not want to be tested for getting high as a condition of employment... that it will somehow become a protected "right"
How does the rest of the world who doesnt get high feel about this?
Think about any critical job you like...and then think... that person operating a piece of equipment... conducting that critical process... making that critical decision could be altered by a narcotic...

What else would the rest of you users sacrifice to have marijuana unfettered?

Would you sacrifice the life of another?
in Short, Yes.

I work in STEM, I protect systems with your private information. I have access to information most people would not believe you can get. I make a little over 100k. My last conversation with a police officer was today:
-Good morning sir.
-Good morning officer.
Instead of a criminal record I have a graduate degree. My family, we have just paid around 30k in taxes for our investment activity (equity and real-estate). I don't drive while I am under the influence of anything, I have learned from my DWI.

Unfortunately I have to say that many in situation similar to mine rely on drinking, MJ is a better alternative based on medical facts as well as lack of hangover the next morning.

Some people I have grown up with, had developed a real addiction to hard drugs. To them MJ is also a better alternative.

A close relative of mine, had been using strong sleeping pills for years, smoking a J is both better and more effective then that prescription addictive b.s.

Only in my state, people who need it, have a hard time getting it legally.

I want to be able to grow it legally, enough for me and my immediate family, I am not interested in selling it, or anything regarding money.

So my vote is YES !

YES, a police officer is not subjected to marijuana drug tests as well any citizen.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 PM

477 posts, read 509,719 times
Quote:
How about reducing the overarching problem by addressing the root cause... human desire.. bam..problems solved... absent that appropriate regulation
Ridiculous. And beside the point.

Quote:
I asked and have kept asking several questions and have made several statements supported by the articles posted.
Does mj use in the USA increase violence in south america
A simple truth ... yes
A simple truth - legalize it and it cuts the legs right out from under the cartels.

It is continued government intransigence that gives the cartels their power.

Quote:
What would you give up for it... and this was illuminating
Only in that it enlightened us as to your complete lack of rationality regarding the subject. There is no reason to give up ANYTHING in order to legally use marijuana.

Quote:
We know legalization would increase people failing drug tests ... we see already that the attitude from drug users is just move the bar then there isn't any problem anymore... false conclusion
For what reason would we continue to test for a legal substance?

If actual impairment is a concern - and I submit that by and large it is not - then we need tests that would prove actual impairment. The tests we have do not do that - they merely show the possibility that marijuana might have been used in the last 30 days or so. If you smoked a joint even the day before, we already know for a fact that you are not impaired the next day.

The problem is that current testing does not indicate actual impairment. That will have to change.

Quote:
As you toke up today someone is being murdered ..kidnapped.. raped.. and subjugated because of your desire to be high and want this benign drug
As posts continue and people read the responses of proponents they get to see the attitudes of users.. the arrogance .. the demands .. the in your face behavior that created the resulting restrictive ordinances we see here in California. I only see more of the same.
Is there a rational bone in your body? Legally produced marijuana does not result in murder, kidnapping or rape. Legalize pot - no more cartel violence due to legal use of legally produced marijuana in this country.

It is, as you insist on repeating, really very simple.

Supporting the legalization of pot is not "arrogance". Arrogance is insisting that it should remain illegal for no logical reason and despite the wishes of the majority of Americans. When it is legalized, you will still be free to refrain from its use.

Quote:
The article I provided from Colorado disputed the claims that mj is working well there... is there dispute as to the validity of " Haze"
No, it does not, and yes, I've already posted about that. It's a fluff opinion piece without statistical support for any of its claims. Ergo - no valid claims to worry about there.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:40 PM

463 posts, read 321,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Because almost every country has signed international treaties agreeing to criminalize cannabis.
Yes, that is correct. I saw it myself in The Netherlands in the 1990's. I went to Amsterdam and noticed all the coffee shops had trees and other plants painted on the windows, instead of paintings of marijuana leaves. I was informed by the locals that the coffee shops were told to remove the marijuana leaves from the windows because the President of the Unites States was coming for a visit.

So Atalanta, to answer your question, small countries don't like to do anything to offend the USA. In the case of The Netherlands, maintaining friendly relations with the US is the only reason why cannabis is still illegal there.

But the illegality of cannabis in The Netherlands is really just a technicality. They want it to be legal, but in order to not make the US mad they instead adopted a "zero enforcement" policy, where the police are told specifically not to enforce cannabis laws.

The bottom line is that many countries realize that prohibition is wrong, but they can't do anything about it because of pressure from the US government.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 PM

477 posts, read 509,719 times
Quote:
And I'll be polite and share ... perhaps you'll return the courtesy

No...no...no..yuck no..no...and yes... when deployed overseas one has to take meds to prevent malaria and some pretty nasty diseases... but for the last couple of years no...let me add one more... otcs.... no
ALRIGHTY THEN, its clear to me that someone who avoids ALL medicines can't be rational about marijuana, or any other drug, legitimate or not.

Seriously, someone who won't take so much as an Advil for a headache can't hold a logical position on the subject.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:38 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
ALRIGHTY THEN, its clear to me that someone who avoids ALL medicines can't be rational about marijuana, or any other drug, legitimate or not.

Seriously, someone who won't take so much as an Advil for a headache can't hold a logical position on the subject.
Why...
Why do you villify a person who is disciplined enough to address life issues effectively through healthy non invasive methods? ...because of your weakness ...not you personally... but mj users as a whole... because of your sickness... because of your infirmity.. because of your lack of discipline ... because you want to feel good ... no.. demand to feel good at the expense of others...
Now that my friends is true sickness

Through this whole thread anyone who wasn't pro pot was insulted and shouted down... which is absolutely the face of pot today. Americans are polling to make mj legal at just over 55 percent if you believe the polls... but AFTER they experience mj behavior in their own communities then they don't like it

I don't see any short term national legalization coming ..I do see more relaxed standards and laws in the states. The whining about leave us alone you are ruining potheads lives is false... users don't get arrested.. as a matter of fact California is emptying its prisons of drug offenders... and while the social libritarians love this it creates huge quality of life issues for local communities...

Through this thread we see the continued demanding nature of people who want drugs ...at the expense of others... whether its murders in the countries to the south... and here as well ... to the destruction of life in our communities.

I'm happy to listen to people who use drugs and try to help them ...for as a group they are defective individuals that do need guidance for their failings in life... the people who could benefit medically for pot.. pain reduction.. are a fairly small percentage ..

Pot WONT cure what ails many who use it... it is another narcotic to help people forget how to live.

There has been demonstrated in this this thread a huge disconnect for causal behavior... it would be impossible for rational people to connect their hedonistic behavior to the destruction of the life of another ... yet that is happening... now.. not tomorrow .. but now.. and the answers blathered out are..well it would be different if... misses the arrow completely

The premises of the articles I believe are true ... I havent seen anything provided so far to dispute them that leads to any other conclusions

From this thread pot proponents have demands of every right.. every privilege every perk.. without any compromise... the mark of true hedonists.

We are and will continue to pay a heavy price as a country for this thinking. Today I will interact with people whose focus is drug free positive living.. people who are forward focused at being positive members of society.. giving more than they take.. people who are training their minds for the challenges of the future. Thank god there are young people who DONT seek the easy way of anesthesia as a way of living

Who is dying for your pot today?... you are.. at the expense of the heartbeats of someone else

Last edited by notmeofficer; 04-16-2015 at 04:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
Yes, that is correct. I saw it myself in The Netherlands in the 1990's. I went to Amsterdam and noticed all the coffee shops had trees and other plants painted on the windows, instead of paintings of marijuana leaves. I was informed by the locals that the coffee shops were told to remove the marijuana leaves from the windows because the President of the Unites States was coming for a visit.

So Atalanta, to answer your question, small countries don't like to do anything to offend the USA. In the case of The Netherlands, maintaining friendly relations with the US is the only reason why cannabis is still illegal there.

But the illegality of cannabis in The Netherlands is really just a technicality. They want it to be legal, but in order to not make the US mad they instead adopted a "zero enforcement" policy, where the police are told specifically not to enforce cannabis laws.

The bottom line is that many countries realize that prohibition is wrong, but they can't do anything about it because of pressure from the US government.

It's funny... no check that.... it's sad that another sovereign nation like The Netherlands bows to the whims of the US in terms of what they allow to be legal in their country or not! I love the US as much as the next red-blooded American, but if I'm The Netherlands I'd tell the US to get f***ed on this issue! Their country, their rules! And given a growing majority of Americans are moving toward supporting legalization, I'd have to say they would agree.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
I think the premise of this thread has repeatedly been proven to be false.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:27 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post

Quote:
Why do you villify a person who is disciplined enough to address life issues effectively through healthy non-invasive methods?
Maybe because drugs are just tools. Why do YOU villify these tools? They aren't the devil. Your body is not a temple. In fact you are a chemical and biological machine with a brain filled with endogenous drugs. It seems silly to avoid every bit of the toolkit of exogenous molecules. But nobody would begrudge you that as a personal choice in your life. Where it raises an eyebrow is in this debate. You're playing "Purer Than Thou" here, and your point of view about all drugs (among other things) casts doubt on your objectivity regarding the topic of this and the various other threads.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:43 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times
Okay, Vistain let's have a debate.
I will write in purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I'm open for a serious mature discussion on that map.
Why is there hardly any places that have LEGALALIZED POT?"

A good ole fashion debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post

First hand experience is very valuable.
Being informed by the locals is 2nd hand information. This very well could be what happened.
As it is one isolated incident 24 years ago.

These very well could be true and valid points.
As with a debate, one comes with research and to the best of their ability facts to back up claims.
I did some research on your claim and I couldn't find anything.
This is what I found though.
And I cannot see anything about Netherlands wanting to be friends with the US on this one.
Here is a link.
It mostly talks about German relations and Dutch. Not mention of the US
Drug policy of the Netherlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I was reading your stance, as I read on I felt like I was reading a research paper that was being thought up, made up as typed along.

If you would like to show the facts backing up your statements, that would be great.
Such as,
"small countries don't like to do anything to offend the USA. In the case of The Netherlands, maintaining friendly relations with the US is the only reason why cannabis is still illegal there."
AND
"They want it to be legal, but in order to not make the US mad they instead adopted a "zero enforcement" policy, where the police are told specifically not to enforce cannabis laws."

Last edited by Atalanta; 04-16-2015 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies