Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm curious, were you there?
Are you claiming this report is false and there was no third video?
Please explain how you know for a fact that she didn't assault him?
It's water under the bridge dear Pedro...the cop was fired today.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
How about electing a student "police force" that has the authority when called by the administration to knock some sense into these hoodlums? Members of the football team would be a start. That would eliminate the "adults putting hands on children" defense.
Maybe we should form a school firearms team and just let the kids on the team shoot disorderly students

Old 10-28-2015, 12:23 PM

168 posts, read 135,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
With all those school massacres, my grands were given phones just in case an emergency pops up they can call the parent.

They know not to use them during school don't even take them out of their backpacks or pockets.

So, in today's violent society, a student having a phone for an emergency is the way to go these days.

Suuuuure they don't.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:24 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So have students beat up other students???????

When I was in school, the gym teacher would have two kids who wanted to fight put on boxing gloves and settle it in the ring.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:25 PM

One of my best friends was a school resource Officer and she worked in the toughest schools in the district. I saw her in action in similar situations- her first move would have been to have the other kids step out of the room and wait in the hall. She then would pull up a chair and sit next to the kid and talk to them. She never was assaulted, she rarely had to arrest a kid- she dealt with them as a parent would and it worked. Primary goal was to defuse the situation, not escalate it.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:25 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
...It wont be long and nobody is going to want to take these law enforcement jobs, this man may lose his career over this. Who wants to take a job with so much scrutiny and daily threats against your career, even your freedom. ...?
1. I hear that about all sorts of dangerous jobs...that eventually no one will take such jobs. Nonsense. How many of our no-draft citizens have served in war zones all over the world?

2. If this man loses his career, it will be due to his own actions.
[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The cops are there because the schools can't get the kids to do what they are supposed to in the first place. I keep saying this over and over; parents need to be held more accountable for the behavior of their kids and disruptive, toxic students need to be moved to alternative education facilities faster.
correct. Have a school for the problem kids. If it doesn't the stupid George Bush Every Child Left Behind test standards oh well. They have special needs is another way of looking at it. They need parenting they are not getting. They should not be in the normal classes. It is unfortunate for them (kids needing to be removed) but is the best option for all, including them. The Wire... becomes more true every year. The sad thing is that show's finale with the kids, where it is a circle, and the whole thing repeats. Someone said the world will sort it out. Yea it will and it might be your house that gets robbed in 10 years and you shot at. We should do something, try things.. doing the same old, doing nothing..clearly isn't working..

Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Gym. Lunch room. Assembly room. The library. The hallway in a worst case scenario. There are options (I went to a TINY elementary school and such room existed).
The gym wasn't used in your school … ??? The library was unoccupied … ??? The hallways are all set up with seating, etc., for a class … ???

Look … The kid obviously was having an episode, and there wqas no good reason to punish the other students for it ...

Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Has anyone explained why a cop was called in the first place? Why wasn't this handled via ordinary disciplinary channels? (Sending student to the principal, or whatever they do, these days) What did teachers do in cases like this before there were cops in the schools? What's the standard procedure for minor disciplinary issues these days?

The student was arrested? On what charge? Using a cell phone in a classroom isn't illegal in any state. WTH??

Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM

168 posts, read 135,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I would have cleared the room. I would have asked the teacher to continue his or her lesson in another classroom. Myself and the principal and school counselor would talk the kid down. Once calm she would be asked to come to the main office for pick up by parent. She would be subject to superintendent hearing.

Where are you getting the extra classroom all set up and waiting? All I hear is whines about "overcrowded schools".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies