Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,702,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I'm sorry that there is such rampant homophobia in our country. It makes me deeply sad to see such closed-mindedness and bigotry in this land I used to believe was so great. It also makes me sad to know that there are people out there who actually believe that I should conform to their ideologies and morals for no reason other than the fact that they are currently in power. Do believe me when I say I have great pity for homophobes- I cannot imagine what it must be like to be so conflicted.
Cheer up. Be happy that you don't have to live in even worse times, such as a century ago. For instance, did you know the first thing that the Oklahoma Legislature did after Oklahoma became a state in 1907 was to pass Jim Crow type laws? This meant Blacks had to use separate, but supposedly equal public facilities. Now today, I bet those Americans who bitterly oppose the homosexual agenda, had they lived back them, would be mighty intolerant and outraged over those folks expressing any ideas that those Jim Crow laws were wrong and should have never been passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,900,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
GLAD I caught this one right before ready to sign out for the evening. Not withstanding that we can match "hatecrime" stats forever (in this case, homosexual on straight) it just goes to prove a corollary point of mine. To wit...those who scream and breast beat and pound and holler all the live-long day about "tolerance" (or whatever...) are usually the most intolerant and bigoted of all, when it comes to living it.

You are right though, of course. Your personal life is none of my business. I hope in turn you are not under any illusions that I care one way or another what you and your boyfriend do. That is, past the point of that you attempt to force it (if it means accepting of it in a legal and moral sense) on me and the rest of society.

Oh gawd...Some "backwood, southern hick, 'rebel", huh? HAHAHAHHAHA. I LOVE IT!!! Great example of tolerance! BUT...I must cut you some slack. As I understand the mindset of the left, it goes goes somthing like this: I am a morally-superior human being, and those who don't agree with me are, by definition, intolerant and bigoted, and intolerance and bigotry are NOT to be tolerated! Hey, y'all cain't help it anymore than you can your eye color. It comes with the territory. The whole underlying premise of the homosexual agenda depends on ascribing "hate" to those who oppose it.

*grins and take a bite of grits and catfish*

Anyway, as I said, gotta get outta here for the evening. Meanwhile, here is one to read:

Townhall.com::Fake Anti-“Gay” “Hate Crimes” Keep Piling Up::By Matt Barber

You have a good evenin' now, you heah? (sentiments from an ol' backwood Suth'un TEK-siz boy...

Good night to all!
Hey, man, I don't pull punches. If y'all are allowed to post whatever floats into your mind here, than I am too. The great part about it is, this is America, you can say whatever you want. It's when you take action and try to limit the rights of others that it becomes problematic.
And I don't have a boyfriend, by the way. That's the whole point.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,420,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
...So you'll understand why I really couldn't care less what some backcountry southern hick "rebel" has to say about my personal life. Frankly, I don't really think it's any of your business.
See now you hurt ole' Rebel's feelings.

Unfortunately, Rebel can't cry to the ACLU that you hurt his widdle feelings (nor do I think he would even if he could).

Because being a "backcountry southern hick rebel" isn't on their list of pet projects.

Regardless, he'll suck it up and defend himself like a grownup. Imagine that!

And I agree, nobody called you nasty names, yet you tried to be hurtful to Rebel.

Even if someone called you a mild descriptive name, it'd probably be deleted; but "backcountry southern hicks" don't have the right to be protected from hurt feelings like you and your buddies, right?

One day this nation will rise above political correctness and people will be treated equally...and stop being afraid of being sued for offending someone.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:01 PM

408 posts, read 696,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
See now you hurt ole' Rebel's feelings.

Unfortunately, Rebel can't cry to the ACLU that you hurt his widdle feelings (nor do I think he would even if he could).

Because being a "backcountry southern hick rebel" isn't on their list of pet projects.

Regardless, he'll suck it up and defend himself like a grownup. Imagine that!

And I agree, nobody called you nasty names, yet you tried to be hurtful to Rebel.

Even if someone called you a mild descriptive name, it'd probably be deleted; but "backcountry southern hicks" don't have the right to be protected from hurt feelings like you and your buddies, right?

One day this nation will rise above political correctness and people will be treated equally...and stop being afraid of being sued for offending someone.
Your previous posts does not support this.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:10 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,420,908 times
Untrue. I don't have a problem with gay people. As long as it doesn't affect me. Don't make out in front of me and grope each other just to get a reaction out of me. That goes for gays and straights.

And as I've said before, I won't acknowledge a marriage between two same-sex people any more than I will a marriage between two inanimate objects.

But like I said, apparently that's just me.

It's not an equality thing, because marriage is quite clearly defined. You can be equal but not married. Maybe by definition you can't be a doctor either, but just because you're gay, everything should be customized for you?

Civil unions accomplish the things you folks are supposedly looking for, but you're not satisfied with just being equal.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,852,695 times
Quote:
Untrue. I don't have a problem with gay people. As long as it doesn't affect me. Don't make out in front of me and grope each other just to get a reaction out of me. That goes for gays and straights.
that's nice to know. But somehow I don't think that those who make out in public, be they gay or straight, are doing so simply to get a reaction from you.

Quote:
It's not an equality thing, because marriage is quite clearly defined. You can be equal but not married. Maybe by definition you can't be a doctor either, but just because you're gay, everything should be customized for you?
By whose definition? Yours?

Can you expound on/explain the doctor analogy please? I'm not getting it. I don't want to jump to the conclusion that you're trying to say that there are gays out there wanting to be doctors without going through the proper schooling simply by virtue or being gay.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,589,063 times
Quote:

And as I've said before, I won't acknowledge a marriage between two same-sex people any more than I will a marriage between two inanimate objects.
Well if you don't acknowledge it, then why do you care if it exists? Move on w/your life, pick your battles.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,415,804 times
Quote:

But like I said, apparently that's just me.

Civil unions accomplish the things you folks are supposedly looking for, but you're not satisfied with just being equal.
"Live and let live" doesn't do much for you?

I suppose there are people who still don't recognize interracial marriage, in spite of its legality trumping the once nearly-unanimous social opposition to it. Those people, unfortunately for them, have had the world turn in spite of their petty opposition to something that has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,149,951 times
Quote:
Again, you've compared people to things that aren't even alive in an attempt to support your argument. I don't think that's helping your case.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:30 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,805,225 times
I personally do not give a flip if two other consenting adults of the same sex want to get married, what is bothersome to me is that there is a significant portion of the population that make this one of their biggest issues when voting for a President, when the country is in a recession at home and an occupation quagmire abroad. To me this issue is WAY down on the scale of any relevancy when deciding who our next leader should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies