Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 02:14 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It is tragic that the MD's and protocols and modalities that can help us and do NO HARM are not covered by many insurances. Many here go out of the box and pay out of pocket. My daughter does this with the D.O. work for she and her children. Once she hits Medicare, the D.O. accepts that. It's so screwy and tough for many to keep healthy and not be harmed.

I have done acupuncture off and on for years but I can't continue due to costs and learned to do self acupuncture and do this on my knees. Needles are inexpensive and there is so much info online to learn. Plus I know where the needles were placed on my by the practioner.

In my retirement I have time and spend it on my health as best I can to not be sick.

The wealthy or very comfortable can do it all.

The worst part is it's a double blow for me. Not only can I not afford to go to the alternative doctors but the stress of not having a job is also affecting my physical health. If I could afford to go to the alternative ones, my mind and my body would feel better but I don't see that ever happening. Buying herbs and sups from the store are expensive enough..an alternative doctor is even more costly.

It sounds really sad but when you look at the circumstances, it's easy to conclude that the government does not want me to have a job so they can make money by prescribing me pills. Many wealthy people seem to hoard all the money for themselves (I'm not saying all because I admire some musicians that would have a lot of money. I'm moreso talking about the more powerful wealthy people) and don't want me to have any.

Yeah see I couldn't risk self acupuncture because I'd be too afraid of poking myself. I can't trust myself with sharp objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The flu vaccine is covered under insurance. For most people it is at no out of pocket cost. Some doctors may charge a small fee to cover the cost of giving it (nursing time and supplies to give the injection). It is covered by medicare, too.
I'm on Medicaid and it apparently isn't. In fact the insurance company specifically said it would be 40 dollars. A lot of money for something that I don't even necessarily need especially when I don't have it.

Last edited by Nickchick; 10-17-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 08:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Isn't that what I said?

Doesn't you insurance cover acupuncture, because here in BC it is covered for some
I don't know that U.S. health insurance covers any acupuncture. Maybe some policies but surely not Medicare. Some pay chiropractors and they pay them such small amounts.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:11 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Mine covers chiro, used to cover acupuncture but that stopped.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
For starters, before the American people can point finger at all the bad pharmaceutical companies, insurance market racket, etc turn the finger around and point it at yourself.

America has one of the worst obesity epidemics in the world, and it's primarily due to overconsumption not hypothyroidism. Add to this the number of people actively destroying their bodies by smoking which by far is the greatest risk factor for all sorts of complications. Being overweight/obese and smoking are two huge contributing risk factors alone for a NUMBER of comorbidities.

So simply quitting smoking cigarettes and maintaining a healthy weight will eliminate the dependence people have on medications.

Meds have their place and are proven effective. They shouldn't be the first priority.

There are plenty of people getting and continuing to get sick. There is no need on anyone's part to keep people sick. That is the law of Entropy in order. With time, things breaks down needing maintenance and to be fixed.
I agree with the obesity in the U.S. but hypoT is out there and I went 10 long years unable to get the dx due to MD's going by numbers and not symptoms.

The U.S. health system could be almost ideal IF more and more MD's went the extra miles to work integratively. Supps, nutrition and if a drug is needed then they can do that. I've been seeing only integrative MD''s for about 15 yrs.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Can't cure the common cold -- you're right about that.
Not all diseases have cures and in some instances progress is glacial.
In others, huge strides have been made. 30 years ago when a person went to ER with heart attack or stroke the prognosis was iffy at best. Now with heart attack nearly all survive and even strokes if seen quickly do much better than years ago.
30 years ago the primary treatment for peptic ulcer disease was antacids and surgery. Now people take a proton pump inhibitor and do well.
People still age and people still die.
There certainly ARE some people and some companies in health care for financial reasons but it is not accurate to paint all nurses, doctors, therapists and techs with the same brush. There are some very compassionate and empathetic people in the field.
I am sorry your family has had poor experiences.
Very true. When I was a kid if someone had a heart attack, you assumed they would die, and usually they did or were invalids for the rest of their lives.

Proton Pump Inhibitors -- BEWARE!

Old 10-18-2016, 10:58 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The flu vaccine is covered under insurance. For most people it is at no out of pocket cost. Some doctors may charge a small fee to cover the cost of giving it (nursing time and supplies to give the injection). It is covered by medicare, too.
I get mine free - without the insurance! They do like to keep us immunized. Actually our electronic swipe badges will not allow us into areas if we have not been immunized.

For others; they can ask at their supermarket pharmacies - some offer the shots. Many know exactly what insurance will pay for and some might be able to tell you where to go for free clinics. Our son usually gets one from the supermarket only because it is easy. You can also Google free flu shots or free flu shot clinics and see if any are in your area.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I get mine free - without the insurance! They do like to keep us immunized. Actually our electronic swipe badges will not allow us into areas if we have not been immunized.

For others; they can ask at their supermarket pharmacies - some offer the shots. Many know exactly what insurance will pay for and some might be able to tell you where to go for free clinics. Our son usually gets one from the supermarket only because it is easy. You can also Google free flu shots or free flu shot clinics and see if any are in your area.
For me and how I think, I could not work in that enviornment where I'm kept immunized with shots. Like a flock of sheepeople. Where I come from and where you come from, two different worlds of thinking.

Yeah, a few years ago a supermarket even was broadcasting a 10% on groceries if a person bought a flu vaccine in that store. Unbelieveable that pharma world.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
LOL. DH is retired military. When they would go in they would get like 30 vaccinations at once.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM

I have no one in my family who went into military and I'm very anti war industry. So I can't speak on that one. I was right along side those who defected to Canada during VietNam. Everyone makes their choices on their life path.

War accomplishes nothing positive but a lot of death and destruction and Misery. I would not send my loved ones to maybe die and if they come back so damaged....for what.

I think one uncle thru marriage was in WWII. He came home.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:53 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For me and how I think, I could not work in that enviornment where I'm kept immunized with shots. Like a flock of sheepeople. Where I come from and where you come from, two different worlds of thinking.

Yeah, a few years ago a supermarket even was broadcasting a 10% on groceries if a person bought a flu vaccine in that store. Unbelieveable that pharma world.
If you want to work at a company that could expose you to any disease; the company will insure that you are protected. They have to 'protect' themselves from lawsuits, lost time, insurance hikes, and worse.

Like the Mod stated; the military simply lines you up. While the war was going on in Nam I thought it was somewhere around 26 shots they gave troops going overseas. We will not send our troops to countries where some diseases are epidemic - without protection. In WWI half of our troops died of flu: When the flu wiped out millions (Opinion) - CNN.com. Dead troops are not effective on the battleground. Not only that; but they tie up the living taking care of the sick, dying, and dead. I knew one man that fought in WWII and a German sniper deliberately shot him in the butt. The idea is that our wounded need help and all of the medics, that the German sniper could kill, would be less aid we could give our wounded. We have even used biological weapons against our American Indians: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native..._and_epidemics. What we did to another country they could do to us; we have to be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies