Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I can honestly say that there were many years that I took just standard deductions with short form and did not consider that paying more than I may have been legally required to do was that important. I felt privileged to be afforded a very comfortable life and felt no compunction in helping a little with the Federal and State Govts do more for people in actual need.
More like they probably blew it paying $600 for a hammer they could have got at Home Depot for $6 or paying $50 for a nut they could have gotten for $0.15

If you think I'm exaggerating, look in to it.

Oh, and don't forget about the $43 million dollar gas station we built in Iraq or some place, I forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I would argue the same of any ideology, fair isnt constant.

But to combat your post. Both 100% and 0% tax rates have the same end result.

We both agree to some tax rate between 0 and 100. We simply disagree on where that number should be.

Why try to demonize me for wanting it to be somewhat higher than you ????
It's not a specific number or rate that we disagree on, it's how we apply it to each individual is where our disagreement is. It is our differing ideas of what is fair and what isn't that we disagree on.

And I'm not "demonizing" you, I'm scrutinizing your ideas. There's a difference.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So, I just wanna know.... How many of you do your "civic duty" and voluntarily give the IRS more money than required when paying your taxes, you know, for the troops.....?

Of all the fake, drummed up controversies, this HAS to be the most ridiculous I've ever heard. Is there anyone out there who doesn't do everything they can to pay as little taxes as legally possible? Is there anyone out there who doesn't look for every deduction or take advantage of every loophole available? Don't blame Trump for legally not paying any federal taxes ( if in fact that is the case )... blame the laws and the tax code that permitted him to do it, or better yet, blame the politicians who wrote it to begin with. It goes back to the old adage, don't hate the player, hate the game.

This is just more of Democrats doing what they do best; Creating a culture of victimhood ( i.e. why am I paying taxes and someone like him isn't ), railing against the rich and promoting class warfare, and purposefully sewing the seeds of division. It's pretty sad...

So if it was legal, what is wrong with what Trump did? Can someone please explain that to me?

there is the system then abusing the system -- and too many of those loop holes are not available to us -the regular hard working people- only for the wealthy- -- sorry guess we just stupid and he is brilliant- that we cant lawyer up beat the system -- but go on-- the big problem what he wants to do for the wealthy and kick us further down the curb-- with his tax plan... his plan will sink America- rich people will continue to invest their tax free money over seas-- not on the USA

Old 10-04-2016, 06:01 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,123 times
I am the bedrock of liberalism in America, I don't pay taxes to the federal government! I get money from the federal government! Then I complain about people who reduce their tax liabilities legally then point fingers at them and say "evil rich guy" because the media is pushing it but I was not aware that Clinton and the NY Times do the same thing.

Yeah I smart, I got a degree in Gender Studies.

And yet I am still gender confused......

Old 10-04-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
there is the system then abusing the system -- and too many of those loop holes are not available to us -the regular hard working people- only for the wealthy- -- sorry guess we just stupid and he is brilliant- that we cant lawyer up beat the system -- but go on-- the big problem what he wants to do for the wealthy and kick us further down the curb-- with his tax plan... his plan will sink America- rich people will continue to invest their tax free money over seas-- not on the USA
That's why you create incentives for them to invest here, by doing things like offering tax breaks and cutting regulation.... Or you can vote For Hillary who wants to go the opposite direction and incentivize them even further out of the country.

Ask yourself.... Would rich people be investing their money in other countries if America offered the better business climate?

Old 10-04-2016, 06:13 AM

30,069 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
When I say charity, i mostly mean Habitat for Humanity, where I actually help build the house, and then help furnish it, so im 100% sure it helps.

Also want to point out that this thread isnt about what you believe makes a difference. The OP asked if you maxed out the possibility of paying less in taxes. You seemed to not be able to address that after the first 2 respondents didnt answer as you thought they would.

You can't deduct the value of your labor as a charitable contribution.

The OP is correct- EVERYONE TAKES ADVANTAGE OF TAX DEDUCTIONS. Ask Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Tim Geitner, Al Gore, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and Obama about that one.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:15 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Watch Donald Trump Lecture Americans for Not Paying Taxes | Mother Jones

Again, the problem - as usual - is not the act... it is the hypocrisy and lying about the act.

"The problem we have right now—we have a society that sits back and says we don't have to do anything. Eventually, the 50 percent cannot carry—and it's unfair to them—but cannot carry the other 50 percent."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-04-2016 at 06:28 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Watch Donald Trump Lecture Americans for Not Paying Taxes | Mother Jones

Again, the problem - as usual - is not the act... it is the hypocrisy and lying about the act.

"The problem we have right now—we have a society that sits back and says we don't have to do anything. Eventually, the 50 percent cannot carry—and it's unfair to them—but cannot carry the other 50 percent."
I'm not sure if Trump paying no tax is "not contributing to society" in the same way as the bottom 50% aren't "contributing to society". Trump employs people and pays a lot of other taxes that the average no-tax-payer isn't paying. Perhaps if average no-tax-payers could find higher paying full time jobs - they could pay taxes?

Old 10-04-2016, 06:45 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,511,121 times
The tax code is a mess. We know, but when one person uses it and has an R after their names, they are vilified by everyone. Hillary and NYT did the same thing trump did, Hillary in 2015 and NYT in 2014. But, they do pay taxes throughout the year. They just have enough write offs to ensure a return or no more being taken from them..
There are illegal issues people need to focus on, not these trivial tax issues which are perfectly legal.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:45 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Why are people blaming Trump when they should be directing their anger toward the tax codes?

Three pages deep and still waiting for someone to give me a good answer to that.
Because they believe that Hillary must be elected at any cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies