Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:33 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The top 1% has 35.4 of all income, top 5 has 62% and the top 10 has 74% of all income.

You seem to be arguing that since they pay the most in income tax, that means they are paying their fair shire, but is a misconception on your part.

Paying the most isnt the same as paying an equal amount, or an equivalent of a fair share.

The top 5%, which is 62% of all income, only pays 51% of the tax burden.

As for calling it a job problem, well, that just isnt true.

1 person making 100 million in a year is going to pay more in taxes than 4,000 people making 50,000 a year.
Fair share is a speculative term that doesn't really mean anything. Instead of expecting people to read your mind, just outright say what you think the rich should pay.

Unlike you, I just want to be given opportunity to earn my own. I am not looking for a government robin hood hand out where we demonize the extremely successful people and live off some meager commie government allowance. I want to be like the very successful and feel like I could if only I can get a friggin foot in the door. So for people like myself who want to EARN the American dream, it's absolutely a job problem. We need REAL full time middle class paying jobs like we used to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:37 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Actually that is NOT the premise of my original post, rather, more of a rhetorical question meant to compliment the premise. The premise is, if Trump didn't do anything illegal and the tax codes are written in such a way that he hasn't had to pay Federal taxes for 18 years, than why is this even a thing? Why are people blaming Trump when they should be directing their anger toward the tax codes?

Three pages deep and still waiting for someone to give me a good answer to that.
That premise was a fallacy(as even you admitted so earlier),

Quote:
o be fair, the Dems aren't really saying that Trump did anything illegal
and I did already explain why and it isnt because he didnt pay taxes. it is because it shows he isnt all that great of a businessman.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Fair share is a speculative term that doesn't really mean anything. Instead of expecting people to read your mind, just outright say what you think the rich should pay.

Unlike you, I just want to be given opportunity to earn my own.
Contradicted yourself.

Arguing that you shouldnt expect people to read your mind(something no one can do), but then claiming to know what I think and believe.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:39 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:

and I did already explain why and it isnt because he didnt pay taxes. it is because it shows he isnt all that great of a businessman.
How isn't Trump a great businessman?

(I've given up on the taxes)

Old 10-04-2016, 02:41 AM

Quote:

How does making billions of dollars, employing thousands of people in multiple international companies, and gaming the tax code to your advantage not make someone a great businessman?

What is your definition of a great business man?

Old 10-04-2016, 02:42 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
its a moral argument that Trump himself has made though.

I leave open the possibility that I very well could be wrong, but I don't believe that he has ever made the argument that rich people should voluntarily by paying more than they are legally required. Instead, he has constantly railed against the laws and the tax codes that allow them to pay so little, and the "stupid" politicians who write them, while being up front about the fact that he has used "the laws of the nation" to his own advantage.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I am not looking for a government robin hood hand out where we demonize the extremely successful people and live off some meager commie government allowance. I want to be like the very successful and feel like I could if only I can get a friggin foot in the door. So for people like myself who want to EARN the American dream, it's absolutely a job problem. We need REAL full time middle class paying jobs like we used to have.
In response to this part of the post, I will say that we are both debating different issues.

You seem to be arguing from a personal stand point, what is better for you as an individual for your life. Where as I clearly stated I was talking about the overall argument of tax revenue, even giving an example of how an individual with a higher income would mean more tax revenue than thousands of people making far above the median income for an individual. And because we have a tiered tax system, that deficit is even greater.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How isn't Trump a great businessman?

(I've given up on the taxes)
Quote:
How does making billions of dollars, employing thousands of people in multiple international companies, and gaming the tax code to your advantage not make someone a great businessman?

What is your definition of a great business man?
As I have said int he past, Trumps fortune is mostly made off of him licencing his name, not his own endeavors which have failed.

He can sell himself(the name), not the products. and yes, a 916 million dollar lose says that.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Contradicted yourself.

Arguing that you shouldnt expect people to read your mind(something no one can do), but then claiming to know what I think and believe.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood your point. Do you not believe that more money should be taken from the rich who already pay the lions share and given to poor people?

You claim we have no job problem (have you even looked in the job search board?) while arguing the rich should pay more taxes. I assumed your argument was that more money should be taken from the rich and given to people that don't have or have low paying jobs? How else is taxing the rich more going to help my wallet?

Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 AM

89,037 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
I dont know if you are being obtuse or not so ill just respond this way

Both "way overpaying" and what is considered a fair share are opinions.
No, they're not. Quite simply, you earn N% of the income? You pay that same N% of the federal income tax revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies