Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:45 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,826,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Poor people shouldn't live lavishly. What's the issue here?
Who is talking lavishly? Poor people should be able to live with a roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:49 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,535,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is like the thread I created a few weeks ago, where I stated that conservatives think people need to be in squalor to have any "motivation" to work. And the responses here are bearing that out.....
Have you seen how our military lives on deployment? (I did it myself...in military for 8 yrs) If they can live in tents for 9 mo out of the year, then it won't hurt someone living on the govt dime to have an apartment with running water, toilets, but no cable, no washer and dryer, no dishwasher.
Fwiw, I'm not referring to seriously disabled, elderly or veterans. I'm referring to able bodied people that are not working, and on welfare/govt assistance.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:49 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,627,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
To the person above who said those who live in affordable housing shouldn't have a washer/ dryer----seriously that is not a luxury that is a basic need, everybody deserves clean clothing, bedding and other linens.
There are plenty of people paying market rate rent in apartment complexes all over the U.S. where there are no laundry accommodations at all, and there are others where there is an in complex coin operated laundry, but no in unit laundry accommodations. Additionally there are plenty of condo complexes that were converted over from apartments with such coin operated in complex laundry facilities and the laundry facilities were not changed just because the complex converted to condos.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
One thing I always bring up when discussing affordable housing is that we just don't build simple, plain, no nonsense housing anymore. There are older housing stock that fit that description but it seems that, in CA anyway, whenever anything affordable is proposed it's just as a percentage of whatever upscale housing is being built and every complex needs a park and a pool and other 'nice to haves'. Heck, I myself would like something simple even though I can afford market rate, but if I want to downsize to a 2 bed condo all the new stuff comes with a $400+ a month HOA fee to cover all the extras I don't even want.

I can't speak for what Ben Carson means but I get the sentiment.
Santa Monica has old tear down $2Million houses that MANY and from out parts of the world come and build $5-6Million mansions. It's so gross....all these little million dollar houses and then the mega million one's built next to them.

We have HUD community housing here and the lines are long to get into one.

We also have a city that is very desirable weather wise and high tech industries are invading this area and it's called Silicon Beach.

Not the place I came to in the 60's...but I'm so fortunate to have gotten in on Rent Control, my 700 sq ft apt is approaching $900/mo. We get an increase every year rain or shine.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'd like to know how he paid for med school. I couldn't even afford law school.
Good question since B.C. was from such poverty.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:04 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,579,048 times
Carson is dead right.

Many consider being poor a life style these days. Food stamps are habit forming as is sponging off taxpayers. Many of them work under the table so they can keep living like that. Paying a $1.00 a month for a rental, having more kids then need be. Trading their food stamps for sex, cash, drugs, etc.

Being poor should motivate people do want to live a better life but for many it does the opposite.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,627,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Grants from the United States Public Health Service.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,290,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt
grants......but you have to earn it by getting the grades and work hard in Medical School and he already payed back society when he became a doctor and saved lives and payed his taxes.

We have enough lawyers, we don't need more lawyers.....but doctors we need so its in the best interest of this country to give grants to low income medical students who make the grade. Its that or bring doctors from other countries here.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 07-02-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,669,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
To think otherwise is to deny human nature. This does not automatically mean that Conservatives feel that truly deserving people needing help shouldn't get it, just the people who have the ability and the opportunity to pull themselves out of a bad situation and don't take advantage of it.

The conservatives want to create more jobs for the people that want them, instead of taking handouts. Liberals consider themselves successful by keeping them in need of handouts. It's their way of buying votes. This is the liberal understanding of human nature, and how it can benefit them(the liberals).
I like how you think you speak for all liberals. I'm a liberal, and you are way off base

Old 07-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,669,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Many of us came from very humble beginnings. We worked our way out of them by doing 2 jobs and sacrificing. Not everyone has the mental and physical stamina to do it. Many simply feel it is owed to them. Drive by a low income housing development and be prepared to be shocked. ATVs, boats, late model cars and the small yards littered with trash. That's what I see when I drive by the ones near where I live. Satellite dishes on every unit. Screens broken out and A/C units hanging out of the windows.
Should we be footing the bill for people who can afford boats, ATVs, Satellite service and late model cars? Maybe a little more oversight is in order.
My friend has a job doing the maintenance at the one in my town. Those people don't even have to shovel their own snow. Window screens are replaced constantly. Walls require patching constantly. Keeps him employed and disgusted.
When you don't have to pay for your home you don't really respect or appreciate it. Now to be fair, most folks living in those places are honest, working people who just need some help. No harm no foul on them. Then there are the single mother families and mom keeps popping babies out every other year. It's interesting to see the people living in low income opening the bar at 7 am. Can't hold a job, have no money, but can keep the bar in business.
Here is a hint, people in low income neighborhoods driving BMWs and Mercedes' are usually dealing drugs, and they know that their neighbors won't try to steal them for fear of retaliation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies