Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:49 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
^ None of you will be missed.

But since you (all of a sudden) patriots care so much about the disrespect of the flag, start boycotting anyone or anything that inappropriately uses the flag as apparel or merchandise, such as on shirts and beer cans.

http://imagesvh1-a.akamaihd.net/uri/...=jpg&width=480
Hmm. What a surprise. No takers.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Hmm. What a surprise. No takers.
I doubt anyone clicked on your link. I didn't.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:13 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I, too, don't understand how taking a prostrated position (a "knee"), is disrespectful. I also fail to see how that's on the same level as burning, defacing, or mutilating a flag, which protesters have done for eons. Is the ire because these protesters are football players, whom we naturally hold in contempt as "overpaid primadonnas"?
Well because its not the action of taking a knee that is disrespectful. Kaepernick had originally planned to sit and it was Nate Boyer who convinced him to kneel instead.
The disrespect is in protesting during the NA.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:17 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I doubt anyone clicked on your link. I didn't.
It's what true "disrespect" of the American flag looks like, but no need to, the content of the post was sufficient enough.

Fake *** patriots and hypocrites.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:28 AM

35,065 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well because its not the action of taking a knee that is disrespectful. Kaepernick had originally planned to sit and it was Nate Boyer who convinced him to kneel instead.
The disrespect is in protesting during the NA.
You get it. Others don't or are willfully stupid.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I question how "taking a knee" is the functional equivalent of spitting in your face but, in any event, I would think that engaging in a harmless act to draw attention to a social issue is a constructive first step towards making it better.
Proper respect of flag and country involves standing at attention if able for the anthem. To kneel is a willful disrespect of these norms and is making a statement that you do not respect the flag and county

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Which is probably why some people are so against it.
This is just more ignorance. You would not have any sort of backlash like this if players like Kaepernick had instead chosen to wear some sort of slogan or color for their cause. By blaming the United States for the injustice of the few, they are alienating everyone who they needed to convince to be on their side. It's just about the dumbest thing they could have done

Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I, too, don't understand how taking a prostrated position (a "knee"), is disrespectful. I also fail to see how that's on the same level as burning, defacing, or mutilating a flag, which protesters have done for eons. Is the ire because these protesters are football players, whom we naturally hold in contempt as "overpaid primadonnas"?
I think it became more of an issue when the POTUS used a peaceful protest by employees of a private employer as yet another divisive tactic. It's what he does & it has a tendency to escalate a situation, or to end up as making a bad situation worse.

Even so, hopefully maybe something good & productive will come out of all this. Particularly if Mr. Trump stays out of it ~ let him fire his own people, one would think he'd be satisfied with abusing that power.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:29 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I think it became more of an issue when the POTUS used a peaceful protest by employees of a private employer as yet another divisive tactic. It's what he does & it has a tendency to escalate a situation, or to end up as making a bad situation worse.

Even so, hopefully maybe something good & productive will come out of all this. Particularly if Mr. Trump stays out of it ~ let him fire his own people, one would think he'd be satisfied with abusing that power.
Who is he going to fire? He's short staffed as it is.

Wish he'd bring Scaramucci back. Now that guy was a live wire.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:09 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Who is he going to fire? He's short staffed as it is.

Wish he'd bring Scaramucci back. Now that guy was a live wire.
You're right about the Trump Administration being short staffed re: key positions, another reason, besides disrespecting the laws of the land, that is, & his incompetence & ... yet another reason for him to stay out of the employment decisions of private employers.

Even so, he probably doesn't want to disappoint his Reality Show fans, where there's a will there's a way. He'd probably even get a few volunteers at this point.

Of 602 key positions requiring Senate confirmation …

270 ~ have No nominee, 11 ~ are Awaiting nomination, 176 ~ were Formally nominated, 145 ~ were confirmed.

https://ourpublicservice.org/issues/...ee-tracker.php

More info here:

Even after a late-July Senate breakthrough on confirmations, close to 150 nominees are awaiting approval.

Trump administration still riddled with key vacancies - POLITICO

& you're right about the 'Mooch' too ~ now he was was entertaining! Mr. Trump was probably afraid he'd 'steal the show' so he had to go.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Proper respect of flag and country involves standing at attention if able for the anthem. To kneel is a willful disrespect of these norms and is making a statement that you do not respect the flag and county
So says you. I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This is just more ignorance. You would not have any sort of backlash like this if players like Kaepernick had instead chosen to wear some sort of slogan or color for their cause. By blaming the United States for the injustice of the few, they are alienating everyone who they needed to convince to be on their side. It's just about the dumbest thing they could have done
I cannot believe how frail patriotism is to some. My patriotism is strong. You, some athletes or some large group are incapable of affecting it. It must suck to be so weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies