Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 12:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was listening to sports talk radio yesterday and it seems that some of the NFL players met with the commissioner to try and find a solution to this kneeling that is hurting ratings and revenue with its offensive nature.

The guy that was talking about the problems that black people in America face with the criminal justice system and one of the issues he highlighted really struck me.

He basically said that there is a problem when a young black man steals $150 worth of clothes then spends the next 2-3 months in jail awaiting his date with the judge because he and his family cannot find the bail bond money to get his butt out of jail. The solution they seem to want to push is to go with some sort of bail system that does not use cash so something else can be put up so little D'johny can get out of jail...

Is it just me... or can this whole issue of poor families not having the money to bail out one of their own be easily resolved if D'johny didn't steal in the first place?

If we overturn the need for cash bail to appease the demands of the black community would we actually be condoning their desire/ need to steal in the first place?
It doesn't make sense to change the rules to make a criminal action acceptable.

If this really is a concern with the NFL players why don't they pool their money to start a fund for needy families if one of their kids gets arrested for a petty crime and cannot post bail. Better yet why don't they start a program that teaches that stealing is wrong and their are consequences if you do it and are caught?
the reason there is bail in the first place is to make sure the defendant shows up for their trial. too many people jump bail if it is set too low. there are bail bondsmen that will pony up the cash to get the little darlings out of jail, but jump bail on them, and they send the bounty hunters after you, and mom and dad tend to lose any property they put up for the little darlings bail.

perhaps a better system would be to have an arraignment court where minor crimes could be dispensed with within a couple of days, and heavier crimes would then be sent up the ladder for trial.

i dont see reducing or eliminating bail requirements being beneficial here. it would encourage people to jump bail and not show up for their court date.

i think a better way would be for these overpaid NFL players to get down into the barrios, and help create an air of optimism, that things can change and get better. they need to help get rid of the gangs, and the despair that permeates the barrios.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:14 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
We could drastically speed up the court system for everyone, as well as severely decrease the number of young black men being arrested, if we stopped criminalizing drug possession.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:18 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Regarding the OP, that would be the simple obvious answer, but there are a whole bunch of circumstances that lead to why Johnny is stealing in the first place.

It could be born into a single parent family with little resources.

It could be kids in the school that bully people into not acting white (meaning doing your school work), and keeping kids "down". That was my issue that I had to deal with.

Hang around the wrong group of people, and it's easy to see how Johnny came to be a thief.

The challenge is changing the culture... because there are many people who are OK with that whole scenario. But I think that's where the athletes can positively change the culture - and there are some that are doing exactly that.

My thinking has always been - clean up your own situation first before asking someone else to change what they do.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:19 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Maybe the OP should have been more specific. He/She probably wanted comments regarding the post. Not this idiot tangent you went on.
Oh, forgive me. I thought he was asking about solutions to the NFL kneeling issue, like the thread title.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:23 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Oh, forgive me. I thought he was asking about solutions to the NFL kneeling issue, like the thread title.
Maybe you should have read more than the title of the thread.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 10-21-2017, 12:25 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Maybe you should have read more than the title of the thread.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote:
He basically said that there is a problem when a young black man steals $150 worth of clothes then spends the next 2-3 months in jail awaiting his date with the judge because he and his family cannot find the bail bond money to get his butt out of jail. The solution they seem to want to push is to go with some sort of bail system that does not use cash so something else can be put up so little D'johny can get out of jail...

Is it just me... or can this whole issue of poor families not having the money to bail out one of their own be easily resolved if D'johny didn't steal in the first place?
You're right of course. But at the same time, you already answered it.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Interesting thread. So far, I'm calling it a draw. Toyman got rocked early, but he landed a solid hook at the top of the second page.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:37 PM

13,272 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Why does anyone care what Players are doing during the Anthem I never even noticed what they were doing.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:47 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Why does anyone care what Players are doing during the Anthem I never even noticed what they were doing.
Because many people need a reason to be outraged at something so they can complain about black people. The actual reason doesn’t matter, as you can se how many diversions there are from the issue. That’s all they enjoy doing. It’s what 50% of this politics forum is about.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:48 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,964,561 times
Just keep the prima donna clowns in the locker rooms while the anthem is respected, then let them kneel and bob all they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies