Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Technically, he can - this is a federal case. Some people early on in this thread apparently misunderstood the jurisdiction and thought it was the New York State Attorney General who's leading the case, but that's not true. It's the federal DOJ.
For now.
Schneiderman hates Trump though. He is chomping at the bit to bring charges against Trump and his associates.
I don't know if they'll ever find anything on Trump and collusion, but there is no way this all ends without state charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
This is correct. SDNY is a division of the DOJ responsible for a specific region in NY. Its jurisdiction just happens to cover a lot of heavy hitters of white collar crimes. There is no public indication that Schneiderman (the NY state AG) is pursuing a parallel criminal investigation (yet).
This is a better version of my post.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:17 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes--my mistake
But depending on what is discovered -- part of it could be handed over to NY state--correct?
Yes the DOJ can share info with NY state AG. Schneiderman can pursue his own investigation and indict Cohen and friends on state charges if NY state laws were also broken. At this point we don’t even know what the investigation is about and what evidence will be available to SDNY after the taint team scrubs the files. So it’s a bit premature to speculate. What we CAN say is that something is fishy and it’s probably going to get ugly.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:18 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
What ‘charges’ have their been? Show me the charges please.
Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

They'll say lying is a charge for anyone but Dear Leader.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:19 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Yes the DOJ can share info with NY state AG. Schneiderman can pursue his own investigation and indict Cohen and friends on state charges if NY state laws were also broken. At this point we don’t even know what the investigation is about and what evidence will be available to SDNY after the taint team scrubs the files. So it’s a bit premature to speculate. What we CAN say is that something is fishy and it’s probably going to get ugly.
I read tonight that ALL attorneys that have had this type of warrant executed ALL went to jail.

More or less this is an iron clad warrant, and more than likely enough evidence to prove guilt was provided- this raid is a mop up.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Well, I think we know that old adultry law was broken...

Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I read tonight that ALL attorneys that have had this type of warrant executed ALL went to jail.

More or less this is an iron clad warrant, and more than likely enough evidence to prove guilt was provided- this raid is a mop up.
From your lips to God's ears...

Old 04-09-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
This is correct. SDNY is a division of the DOJ responsible for a specific region in NY. Its jurisdiction just happens to cover a lot of heavy hitters of white collar crimes. There is no public indication that Schneiderman (the NY state AG) is pursuing a parallel criminal investigation (yet).
FWIW--
"For the People" is new legal series by Shonda Rhimes set in the Southern District Federal Court
If you haven't watched it, it's a hoot...
Prosecutions that would take a year to gin up and bring to trial happen in the blink of an eye...
But, hay, it's TV...
Has Hope Davis and Anna Deveare Smith---and Ben Schenkman is funny...he is one of the lead ADA's...

Old 04-09-2018, 11:27 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Yes--my mistake
But depending on what is discovered -- part of it could be handed over to NY state--correct?
Absolutely. Bank fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy... there are a lot of charges here that could be prosecuted at the state level. They won't have any jurisdiction over campaign finance laws, but they can charge enough to destroy anyone's life who is involved in this.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
I'm getting the feeling this is pretty seismic. This requires very high approval throughout the DOJ and FBI. Trump just appointed the southern district of New York Attorney General who issued the warrant. If Trump goes nuclear and gets rid of Rosenstein and Mueller it doesn't change anything about this investigation. Trump has no real move here. That is a scary prospect of what he will do.

Well part of his rant was an announcement about striking Syria, so there’s that...

Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
FWIW--
"For the People" is new legal series by Shonda Rhimes set in the Southern District Federal Court
If you haven't watched it, it's a hoot...
Prosecutions that would take a year to gin up and bring to trial happen in the blink of an eye...
But, hay, it's TV...
Has Hope Davis and Anna Deveare Smith---and Ben Schenkman is funny...he is one of the lead ADA's...
I haven’t heard of it. I heard Billions is loosely about SDNY...maybe even based on Preet B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies