Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 AM

37,223 posts, read 19,225,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Parkland High school had armed campus police, and we saw how well that went...
In Santa Fe they had armed guards who had been through drills a number of times. Didn't work. The element of surprise cannot be overcome.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How many teachers have been shot during the last few shootings?

How would they know which teacher is armed? Do tell....
If we arm teachers, shooters will assume they are all armed and go for the teachers first.

Then, we have good teachers quitting because the job isn't worth getting shot.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:12 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm suggesting we charge parents when kids take their unsecured guns and go shoot up a school and you're saying this won't work?

I bet you it will.

Not every time, but an awful lot of them.

I fail to see why a responsible gun owner would object.

I'm not talking about banning guns. That's ridiculous.
This isn't prevention, but accountability after the deed is done.

We need prevention's. Threatening to charge parents isn't good enough. We need mechanisms in place just in case the kid gets into their parents gun safe.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The ban actually did help. Eric Harris mentioned it in his journal (or maybe recorded it on tape) that he wanted assault weapons but could not get any since the ban was in place. Less regulation then may have meant more people dying.

FWIW, Columbine also had two guards. One was the SRO while the other for some reason was unarmed. Both were at a nearby fast food place getting lunch when the shooting happened.
I'm no gun expert but the Tec-9 Klebold had would give him as much firepower as anything he could have purchased.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What is "properly"?

Am I still at fault if they trespass on my private land, break into my house, search without permission to get my guns?

Why am I being held at fault for someone breaking the law?

Below is a picture from some university's freshman orientation.

https://i0.wp.com/www.society19.com/...00%2C492&ssl=1

Okay, say I'm a bad person and to me, they look quite delectable and even better, I know that they, under your proposal, are without the means to defend themselves.

Sounds like an ideal situation for a bad person.

Will it solve most of these?

In other countries when a man gets mad at a woman who won't reply to him, this is what happens, they use acid:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-21st-birthday
If you have strangers breaking into your home and drilling open a gun safe? Of course you are not responsible. You likely reported this to the authorities, who then came to your home and saw your gun safe, drilled open, with guns missing. You did your part.

And, bringing up other ways people can hurt people is really beside the point. Of course you can harm people in other ways. Doesn't mean you shouldn't tighten up on how "responsible gun owners" secure their weapons, and charge them if their kids take their unsecured weapons and shoot up a school, a mall, a theater, etc.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nope. Didn't even think of the teachers -- teachers are in the class room.

Was just addressing the armed guard at the front door.

Teachers are people. It is their individual choice(liberty) to be prey or to defend themselves(not others)
No government, or another person can disarm me at any point in time, as long as I stand on US soil.
Or it really isn't a right. It is a privilege, give by my MASTERS, I can only sometimes exercise.

I have no MASTER and I certainly hope and pray you have not consented to your MASTERS.

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm no gun expert but the Tec-9 Klebold had would give him as much firepower as anything he could have purchased.
I'm no expert either, but I have heard the same thing. Klebold actually fired his weapons far fewer times than Eric Harris for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It has a major inhibiting effect. Not a single judge has been killed inside a courtroom again since they installed metal detectors.
How many have been killed outside a court room?

That said, if all schools had a single point of entry, metal detectors would likely be more useful INSIDE the school. Once a fire alarm gets pulled, all bets are off.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
.....And, bringing up other ways people can hurt people is really beside the point......

IS IT?

We still have people harming each other.

Didn't 9-11 and the immediate situations after that teach us anything? If someone really wants to, they will find a way.

So how do we stop them, how do we take away that motivation?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So Liberals dont want armed guards, no metal detectors, no arming teaches, no check point entry; just pass a law that angry suicidal kids bent on killing their peers will could care less about.

How can this possibly have any logic in it, boggles me.

When I was going to high school in California in the mid 90's, we had a fenced close campus with metal detectors with over 2000 students. I didn't see any problem going in and out of school. Students learn very quickly what items not to bring so they dont get pulled aside and frisked.

Just having these check points will deter shooters. Shooters cant simply come on campus unchecked unabated with long riffles, handguns, explosives, etc open doors and start shooting.

I think, gun grabbers could care less about kids lives - they just hate guns and the people who own them. Children's safety......who cares! Just as long as john doesn't have that gun i dont like.
I don't want to take anyone's guns. I don't really have any issues with armed guards (most schools already have some) or metal detectors (some schools have those, but to really be super effective you need a closed campus, and where's that money coming from?).

I still think charging parents when kids take their guns to shoot up a school would knock most of these school shooters out of business right away.

Yes, it may mean that we get to see some parents go to prison after their kid shoots up a school then shoots himself, but that's a powerful message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies