Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,460,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I've worked for years in places where the national anthem is played daily. The number of people who stand at attention, hand over heart, is very few. No one is berated for pouring their cup of coffee while the anthem is going on. If someone is driving, they don't stop their car. If someone is on a phone call, they don't hang up or pause the conversation. People continue their work when the anthem is played.

Is the issue that people are kneeling or is the issue that they simply aren't doing what everyone else is doing when the anthem is played?

I think when you play the anthem as part of routine, it simply becomes rote. It has no business being played at sporting events unless national teams are playing. And it has little meaning when it is played as often as it is. In the realm of sports, maybe limit it to the first home game of the season and playoff games if people insist on hearing it. Honestly, I'd just do away with the anthem at non-international sporting events entirely.
I agree, get rid of it. Once people use the national anthem as an attention-getting advertisement ploy for whatever they hate about America it's pretty much lost all meaning anyway. I'm sure they were banking on it gathering the attention, it did, but not the attention they were hoping for. Those types of moves are always a gamble, especially in such a divided country. It's just doing more harm than it's intended good now. I doubt we can take much more divide.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:59 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,143,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post

Get a clue people..... you are being played. While you are busy being outraged, your government is doing many things that deserve your attention. As Americans of any persuasion we need to focus and debate things that actually matter.
You know how Americans are. They arent worried about things until it affects them, and they like to feel superior to others. So the distraction works nicely until they realize that their money is getting taken away from them by the people they voted for. Then they'll be mad. But they wont realize then that they were distracted. All trump has to do is keep telling people that they brown people will be kept out and thats all they can focus on.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM

9,504 posts, read 5,295,637 times
Here we go again.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,143,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Everybody has said their peace. This went on all last season.

At this point it’s time for people to agree to disagree and move on. I can’t believe this is still a thing.
You underestimate how much the power of "phony whining about minorities on a forum" has on peoples self esteem. They love beating a dead horse. Helps them look at themselves in the mirror.

Chicago, Kneelers, border wall, repeat.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:01 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,791,816 times
Every knee that hits the ground during a game, should dock the player: to be paid $1 an hour.

Let's see how many of the players like their new "deflated salary!" Let's see what's more important. Money or???

Old 08-10-2018, 11:04 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,825,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
You underestimate how much the power of "phony whining about minorities on a forum" has on peoples self esteem. They love beating a dead horse. Helps them look at themselves in the mirror.

Chicago, Kneelers, border wall, repeat.
yeah, you’re probably right. Heh.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,589,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Every knee that hits the ground during a game, should dock the player: to be paid $1 an hour.

Let's see how many of the players like their new "deflated salary!" Let's see what's more important. Money or???
Get over it.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,931,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The REAL issue that these players don’t want to address is the outrageous amount of crime that is committed nonstop in America’s cities.
That can also be an issue

Feel free to address it. You can even do more than post about it on C-D if it bother's you that much.
I doubt it does
And I doubt you will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Not one argument made in this thread has explained how anyone has a moral obligation to continue watching football games if they decide they don't want to anymore, for whatever reason they choose, including the anthem protests.
Because no one does

Quote:

You know it's money.
The owners don't actually care if the player's kneel. The problem for the owners isn't a moral one. They don't want the players to kneel because it costs them money.

For every player that stands, the teams and Donald Trump give $1,000,000 to
Silicon Valley De-Bug.
Advancement Project
United Playaz
Mothers Against Police Brutality
Imagine LA
Angel by Nature
School on Wheels
Communites United for Police Reform
Youth Service Inc.
H.O.M.E
The ten charities Collin Kaepernick donated his $1 million to.

We'll see if it's really about standing for them

Old 08-10-2018, 11:56 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,692,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
But their job is not comparable to you're job.

ok right, so what your saying is the NFL is special job and you can protest and do whatever you want? the owner of the NFL and the team is the BOSS. NFL players are employees end of story.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:59 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,602,089 times
Quote:

I see you are quite the master of contract law and collective bargaining agreements, and their respective enforceability in civil suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies