Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 11:13 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How does recognizing that a female has a vagina and a male has a penis "deny" anyone a "place" in society?

Hint: It doesn't.

That is the way I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 11:14 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
He makes a valid point there in that the struggles are very different, but like it or not, gay, lesbian, bi, and trans are all lumped together and the current cultural backlash we are seeing against the transgender community is also affecting the gay and lesbian community.
How?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:15 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What happens to people with penises who have ovaries? What about the ones with vaginas who have testicles?

External genitalia may not match chromosomal gender.
I am personally acquainted with a woman (I'll call her that) who was born 55 years ago as a hermaphrodite. The doctor "assigned" her to be a female and removed her penis and testicles at birth.

She was raised to be a girl, however at puberty male characteristics began to assert themselves (doctors didn't understand back then the overwhelming affect testosterone had on children even in utereo).

She began as a teen taking drugs to surpress her male characteristics. However, she then discovered after 20 years that those drugs were also killing her, so she had to stop taking them. Yet, her masculinity continues to assert itself.

Having no penis and having been raised to be a woman, having lived her early adulthood as a woman, she continues to try to live as a woman. But frankly, she looks pretty much like an obvious male transvestite.

Worse, in situations like joining a church (she is a Christian) and trying to be part of either the men's or the women's groups--she finds no acceptance.

She's just a very sad individual right now.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:22 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I am personally acquainted with a woman (I'll call her that) who was born 55 years ago as a hermaphrodite. The doctor "assigned" her to be a female and removed her penis and testicles at birth.

She was raised to be a girl, however at puberty male characteristics began to assert themselves (doctors didn't understand back then the overwhelming affect testosterone had on children even in utereo).

She began as a teen taking drugs to surpress her male characteristics. However, she then discovered after 20 years that those drugs were also killing her, so she had to stop taking them. Yet, her masculinity continues to assert itself.

Having no penis and having been raised to be a woman, having lived her early adulthood as a woman, she continues to try to live as a woman. But frankly, she looks pretty much like an obvious male transvestite.

Worse, in situations like joining a church (she is a Christian) and trying to be part of either the men's or the women's groups--she finds no acceptance.

Now that is a sad situation and I feel badly for her. Someone like that I have sympathy for because she had no choice in the matter.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Pretty sad that we still have this level of bigotry to contend with, despite all the progress we've made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
How is this bigotry ?

right, it's not. I don't care if men want to dress up in women's clothes or women want to take hormones to grow a mustache. Go ahead, knock yourselves out live your life. But don't go expecting the taxpayers to foot the bill to accommodate you and please spare the grandstanding "HEY LOOK AT ME I'm TRANS!", "TEACH ALL THE KIDS ABOUT US!", "WE DESERVE RIGHTS!", "WOW THOSE TRANSGENDER PEOPLE ARE SUCH A ROLE MODEL"

Old 10-22-2018, 12:17 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
I wonder what problem this legislation is trying to solve.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:19 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
right, it's not. I don't care if men want to dress up in women's clothes or women want to take hormones to grow a mustache. Go ahead, knock yourselves out live your life. But don't go expecting the taxpayers to foot the bill to accommodate you and please spare the grandstanding "HEY LOOK AT ME I'm TRANS!", "TEACH ALL THE KIDS ABOUT US!", "WE DESERVE RIGHTS!", "WOW THOSE TRANSGENDER PEOPLE ARE SUCH A ROLE MODEL"
Apparently, you didn't read what I was responding to. The OP did display bigotry in his statement. He disparaged every gay, lesbian, or transgender person in his statement and expressed disapproval of the increasing acceptance we have achieved in today's society.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:19 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:

A very sad story although , not a very common one. A question though, has the fact that the federal government doesn't legally acknowledge "hermaphrodite" as a gender effected her in any way ?

Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:

Why would a doctor remove a penis and testicles? That doesn't even make sense.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why would a doctor remove a penis and testicles? That doesn't even make sense.
She has a vagina. I don't know if she has a functional uterus--we didn't go into all that. And I don't know that her penis and testicles looked "fully formed" at birth--maybe they didn't.

Might have been the doctor merely flipping a coin, as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies