Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times

Advertisements

Trump said he wanted to do the border barrier separately because it would be faster but he wants total immigration reform once and for all which career politicians have moaned about for decades but of course, since they're politicians, never did anything.

Should we start taking bets as to whether Fancy Nancy and the Ancient Schumerian will throw the DACA people under the bus again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 02:56 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Wasn't there a proposed bill that would've given the money but trump said no? Do you remember that? So, explain why that happened.

You're thinking of the 'Common Sense' plan introduced by Schumer, whoe bullet points claimed to be $25B for a wall in exchange for DACA citizenship. But when you look behind the bullet points, the $25B was spread over 10 years, meaning it was a stalling tactic to ensure little wall gets built before a Dem President or Dem Congress can kill it (Dems are hoping to win the Senate and/or President in 2020). And the bill would have restricted ICE from deporting non-felony illegal aliens, effectively an amnesty for the 11 million illegals already here and any more to come.

A Republican version that was very similar except it pulled more wall money upfront and removed the ICE restrictions was flatly rejected by every Democrat.

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trump didn't know this when he made the promise? Why did he make the promise if he was unable to do so? Are you saying he really was unqualified?

I recall when he made the promise that many said he couldn't do so and there were all sorts of arguments on how he could.

IMO, it was because he (IMO irresponsibly) felt he could 'write checks' with his mouth that would never have to be cashed....IOW, he felt he could say anything without ever being called on it because there was no way in H E double toothpicks that he was going to win.

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA !!!!!!! I'm taking my toys and going home, you guys are mean to me, and I need my blankee !!!!!!!!!

Smooth negotiator, isn't he ?

Old 01-09-2019, 02:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Exactly. Trump asked Nancy if she would be willing to give him anything for the wall. She responded "hell no!". He said "we have nothing to talk about then" and walked out of the room.

The Democrats are refusing to negotiate.

If Trump hadn't of been stupid enough to say "I'm proud to shut it down", I think he would be firmly winning the PR war.

The Dems went on TV last night in their rebuttal and said we should open govt now and work together on border security in the next 30 days, but at this meeting today Trump essentially was asking them if they were really willing to do that and Pelosi made it clear the real intent was to open govt now and continue the no-wall no-compromise position.

You can tell by how much more Dems are screaming about the shutdown that it is hurting them more.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Trump is a complete child that is now throwing a tantrum because he is not getting his way. He and his party no longer have complete national government control and thankfully cannot now do whatever they want. The people are not with Trump on this as he failed to get a plurality and he also promised everyone hundreds of times that Mexico would pay for his wall. He should allow the government to reopen and direct his efforts toward fulfilling his campaign promise of Mexixo footing the bill.

Last edited by MMS02760; 01-09-2019 at 03:14 PM..

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
0h n0z, w3r a11 g0nz D1E!!!1!!1!!!
I got my Hep. A shot two weeks ago. I'm all set to wait out the fake government shutdown...

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Trump hasn't even said he would be willing to barter DACA for the wall. The Democrats DO want border security, just not a wall because they realize a wall is just a symbol and don't do much. Drugs will still come out through the ports of entry, by air and by sea despite the wall. People will still overstay their visa (more common than border immigration) despite the wall. We will still see the caravans despite the wall.
Facts

Old 01-09-2019, 03:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
As a Trump supporter, I agree. It's not my problem. They didn't care when I didn't have a job.

But since you care, oh, so much, perhaps you could contribute to a few of these laid off workers.
Your president your problem with that you can contribute seeing that you care so much for your fellow Americans.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
IMO, it was because he (IMO irresponsibly) felt he could 'write checks' with his mouth that would never have to be cashed....IOW, he felt he could say anything without ever being called on it because there was no way in H E double toothpicks that he was going to win.
This is true as far as that goes. No one thought he would win until he did. All the same, he made the promise. It might things go a little better if he would put his ego aside. "Yes, I made an empty campaign promise, but the issue needs resolved".

He is unable to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies