Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryann White right about her concerns about 'leggings', as discussed below?
Yes 27 25.96%
No 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 10:26 AM

19,619 posts, read 12,215,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I have a friend who is a body builder. She posted a photo of herself yesterday. She is in Aruba, rescuing stray dogs. In the photo, she just happened to be in a swimsuit, which was appropriate for being on a beach in Aruba. Most of the comments were respectful. She's doing something good to help the world, after all. People like that.
But then, the One Guy... "Hey, why don't you take those swimsuit bottoms off so I can see your tattoo?"
Yesh, toxshic mash-koo-linity. That's it right there. Buff lady wants to help save dogs. Icky guy on the internet wants to see her pu**y. He's like a turd in the punchbowl and he doesn't even realize it.

Like you said, subtlety is the key word. I don't care who looks at me and what they think. But if they start spouting off opinions at me or asking me to change something, I'm going to put on my leggings so I can really kick and stretch... and then I'm gonna kick and stretch, maaaan. Really give them something to talk about.

PS. please take my words in the lighthearted way I intend them. The dang internet seems to have ruined any kind of conversation other than the angry kind.
But people really do that. You bring up an unpopular topic, people knee jerk go to angry mode and do it more. What is wrong with just having the conversation. There are things I might like to do, but I won't because I've thought it through and listened to other sides and maybe they have a point. To go straight to rebellion is childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You are absolutely correct. I would respect you whether you were in leggings or a business suit. Although, I'll be honest , if you are in leggings I will definitely subtlety check out your backside. Actually , I'd do that if you were wearing the suit as well.

Damn that toxic masculinity.
Otherwise known as ... things posters DID say.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:31 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not the one you quoted and responded to. And now the one you quote, wasn't saying anything about wearing them to a job interview, he is merely saying that as a guy, he is going to check out your bum no matter what you are wearing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2019, 10:31 AM

36,500 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Otherwise known as:

"Things the poster didn't say."
LOL.
That seems to be problematic with some posters her in CD land.

story about an attractive woman in a swimsuit on the beach helping dogs---------------------------------->So you would wear leggings to a job interview!!!!!

Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Again, no one brought up job interview.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,461 times
Quote:
So you'd wear those skintight leggings to a corporate job interview?

Would you then sue when you didn't get the job? /facepalm/
I wouldn't, personally. But I don't want a corporate job, so I wouldn't go to a corporate job interview in the first place. I rarely ever wear a Real Human Woman Bra anymore... only sports bras, so I know my limitations. You hardly ever see a Big Boss with a Uni-boob.

But if some other person wanted to wear leggings and thought it was best for them, I'd respect their choice. I wouldn't call them "skanky" or any other pejorative word. I'd just assume that perhaps they'd live and learn... or maybe they'd actually get the job. Maybe the Head Honcho also likes leggings and would think, "Hey, that's exactly what this company needs. More comfortable clothing choices." He or she would send out a memo to the entire company, saying, "We're implementing a new dress code. Clad your 'nethers in leggings, if you feel the desire." The accountant exclaims at the next board meeting, "We're all rich! We're in the black for the first time, ever!"
"Hmmm," the CEO thinks, "Maybe buttless chaps would be the next logical step."

I'm only joking around, but I think that most of the tech startups have lost that old dress code mentality and leggings probably wouldn't cause anyone to even take notice today.
My husband used to have to wear a suit and tie to his engineering job. (He's in his late 50s, so that was pretty standard then, I suppose.) And then they realized it really added to the chasm between the engineers and the factory workers with whom he interacted every day, so they loosened up the "stuffed shirt" look. He wears jeans and T shirts to work in his office. I've offered him my leggings but he doesn't want the other guys getting all jealous.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I wouldn't, personally. But I don't want a corporate job, so I wouldn't go to a corporate job interview in the first place. I rarely ever wear a Real Human Woman Bra anymore... only sports bras, so I know my limitations. You hardly ever see a Big Boss with a Uni-boob.

But if some other person wanted to wear leggings and thought it was best for them, I'd respect their choice. I wouldn't call them "skanky" or any other pejorative word. I'd just assume that perhaps they'd live and learn... or maybe they'd actually get the job. Maybe the Head Honcho also likes leggings and would think, "Hey, that's exactly what this company needs. More comfortable clothing choices." He or she would send out a memo to the entire company, saying, "We're implementing a new dress code. Clad your 'nethers in leggings, if you feel the desire." The accountant exclaims at the next board meeting, "We're all rich! We're in the black for the first time, ever!"
"Hmmm," the CEO thinks, "Maybe buttless chaps would be the next logical step."

I'm only joking around, but I think that most of the tech startups have lost that old dress code mentality and leggings probably wouldn't cause anyone to even take notice today.
My husband used to have to wear a suit and tie to his engineering job. (He's in his late 50s, so that was pretty standard then, I suppose.) And then they realized it really added to the chasm between the engineers and the factory workers with whom he interacted every day, so they loosened up the "stuffed shirt" look. He wears jeans and T shirts to work in his office. I've offered him my leggings but he doesn't want the other guys getting all jealous.
It's nice to poke fun and be coy .... but you'd be out a 6-figure salary job. Some would think that's funny, I guess.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL.
That seems to be problematic with some posters her in CD land.

story about an attractive woman in a swimsuit on the beach helping dogs---------------------------------->So you would wear leggings to a job interview!!!!!
Go back and read the conversation.

Amazing how people think one post = conversation, then comment with complete ignorance of context. Seems the same posters do this over and over.

Pretty problematic in CD land, I would agree wholeheartedly.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:49 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
It's nice to poke fun and be coy .... but you'd be out a 6-figure salary job. Some would think that's funny, I guess.
I know a woman with bright pink hair who makes 6 figures. I know lots of people like that.

Times have changed dramatically, plus, it all depends on where you live.

In Hawaii you NEVER (almost) wear corporate wear, it is just not a thing here, men don't even wear ties, except in rare occasions like being IN court. Plus, I worked in an ultra-conservative line of work (politics) and STILL wore leggings, but with a blazer over them. No one batted an eye.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,461 times
Quote:
It IS nice, you're right. Sometimes it's more fun on a Monday to just kind of laugh off stuff that has no real bearing on my life, you know? I'm tired of being crabby on the internet. It's so tiresome, day in and day out. I'm sure there will be something along the line that trips my trigger and I'll go ballistic, but for today, I'm all about the fun-pokin'!

If someone is out a 6-figure salary job because they wore tight pants, then maybe that job isn't right for them. Obviously they have some life lessons to learn. Or at least some fashion lessons, right? Not every profession is right for a leggings-wearing person. Lots of jobs where you can wear what you want and it's A-OK. I might have to come up with a list for job-seekers who like leggings. That will be my job. And I will wear leggings while doing it. I probably won't make a 6-figure salary, but that's okay. There are other things in life that make me happier than money. Comfort, for instance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies