Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times

Advertisements

If you have a gun in your home, it's much more likely that you or a household member will be shot than an intruder. So yes, that's the price of "freedom," I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 11:09 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
the shooter was most probably in panic mode and therefore NOT in complete control of himself...AND i just LOVE hearing all the armchair gun people who were NOT in the situation lecture about responsible gun safety and such..

as far as i know many many gun deaths happen in EXTREME moments of emotionally charged rage or uncertainty at the least...it would be nice if we were all level headed...but then such is the mystic of the gun
If you have a gun for self-defense, presumably you will be using it when you are scared, emotional, etc.

And potentially on drugs

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dad-who-s...sted-for-drugs

Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
If you have a gun in your home, it's much more likely that you or a household member will be shot than an intruder. So yes, that's the price of "freedom," I suppose.
Do you make life choices based on statistics made by someone else?

Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Of course it is, as has been mentioned, we accept the even deadlier price for traveling in automobiles, and to have legal access to alcohol, and to eat whatever we darn well please. If we were willing to subjugate a significant portion of our rights (let alone gun rights), there would be far fewer people dying. So yes, there is a price for "freedom" and we pay that price every day.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:37 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
the shooter was most probably in panic mode and therefore NOT in complete control of himself...AND i just LOVE hearing all the armchair gun people who were NOT in the situation lecture about responsible gun safety and such..

as far as i know many many gun deaths happen in EXTREME moments of emotionally charged rage or uncertainty at the least...it would be nice if we were all level headed...but then such is the mystic of the gun
Someone who panics when they hear someone at the door unexpectedly is not a good candidate for gun ownership.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Every time he thinks of his daughter he will pay the price for making this grievous error the rest of his life. His tragedy has nothing to do with me or anyone else who owns a firearm. Get off that soapbox because you look ridiculous standing up there.
Oh, boo-hoo-hoo for him. Meanwhile, the real victim paid with her life, as they always do, because we insist in this country that any idiot, even those who lack the intelligence and presence of mind not to kill someone in a non-threatening situation because they got scared, MUST, MUST, MUST be allowed to own a firearm.

Let that sink in for a minute. We are not even allowed to question the mental capabilities of a gun owner. That is not allowed.

His daughter is just another victim of the out of control gun culture in this country.

Thoughts and prayers.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:47 AM

"GO AWAY THE POLICE ARE COMING I HAVE A GUN!"

You stay put in your room and yell that, leave your phone on so 911 can hear everything, once the intruder enters your room you take measures to protect your life. With the phone on recording the call it will prove you lawfully defended yourself.

Unless you have other loved ones in the house then it becomes more dangerous and you should leave your finger off the triggers as you secure your loved ones. Fact is if you have a intruder and have to sweep your home you are in a dangerous situation because action is faster than reaction and if a intruder sees you before you see them it might not end in your favor.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:51 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
"GO AWAY THE POLICE ARE COMING I HAVE A GUN!"

You stay put in your room and yell that, leave your phone on so 911 can hear everything, once the intruder enters your room you take measures to protect your life. With the phone on recording the call it will prove you lawfully defended yourself.

Unless you have other loved ones in the house then it becomes more dangerous and you should leave your finger off the triggers as you secure your loved ones. Fact is if you have a intruder and have to sweep your home you are in a dangerous situation because action is faster than reaction and if a intruder sees you before you see them it might not end in your favor.
Yeah, or unless it's your daughter, WHO LIVES IN THE HOUSE, coming home at night.

This idiot obviously lacks the discernment necessary to own a deadly weapon. But no one will take it away from him because in this country, the guy holding the gun has more rights than the victim on the other side of it.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:58 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, boo-hoo-hoo for him. Meanwhile, the real victim paid with her life, as they always do, because we insist in this country that any idiot, even those who lack the intelligence and presence of mind not to kill someone in a non-threatening situation because they got scared, MUST, MUST, MUST be allowed to own a firearm.

Let that sink in for a minute. We are not even allowed to question the mental capabilities of a gun owner. That is not allowed.

His daughter is just another victim of the out of control gun culture in this country.

Thoughts and prayers.
Quote:
Yeah, or unless it's your daughter, WHO LIVES IN THE HOUSE, coming home at night.

This idiot obviously lacks the discernment necessary to own a deadly weapon. But no one will take it away from him because in this country, the guy holding the gun has more rights than the victim on the other side of it.
Bingo!
Very well stated. These people ONLY care that they can keep fondling their guns, regardless of ANYTHING.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:

It was a tragic accident that has happened before but no need to blame "gun culture" as many have defended themselves using a gun.

TV public commercials on how I described above to say "go way the police are coming I have a gun" would help reduce these accidents yet anti gun groups don't support that because they would rather promote ignorance and fear on how to use a gun than promote safety on how to use one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies