Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 02:44 AM

7,183 posts, read 4,765,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they are bi-lingual then why wouldn't they speak English in public? Simple minded? Isn't that a personal attack?
They speak whatever they want to.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:51 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,591,221 times
Quote:
If they are bi-lingual then why wouldn't they speak English in public? Simple minded? Isn't that a personal attack?
You're in Mexico standing with a group of Americans. Maybe they're your family; maybe not. What language are you using? Just asking, because it should be Spanish. When in Rome do as the Romans do, which is your point? I guess, but you won't be speaking Spanish to Americans in Mexico, I'll be willing to bet. It will be English as it is a part of you.

If you're that curious learn the language. They say that those that can speak more than one language have enhanced brains. Just saying ...

Old 06-23-2019, 08:52 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You need to travel around the United States some more. We live in the USA and there are people who speak English as well as other languages. It isn’t only Spanish.

Sorry, but you cannot control what other people do.
I have lived in many place in the U.S. so don't assume anything. In fact I live in So. Calif. It doesn't get more diversified than that. I didn't say speaking another language was wrong but there is a time and place for everything. I never said I was trying to or even going to try and control rudeness.

Let me give you an example of this rudeness. My wife worked with a lot of Hispanics and Filapinos. The company she worked for had a rule to speak English on the clock while breaks and lunches were the exception. It was for safety reasons. There was even a memo on the bulletin board about this. Spanish speakers did what they damned well pleased though while the Filapinos abided by that rule. They tore the memo off the bulletin board and threw it into the trash. Management was too week to enforce the rule. I have found in general that many native Spanish speakers are rude like that when out in public.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
They speak whatever they want to.

That's why the question why would they want to when they know English? It can be rude at times out in public.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
That's why the question why would they want to when they know English? It can be rude at times out in public.
Get over it. And stick with the immigration forum.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Uh, you DO realize that most Hispanics assimilate. My second job is in a location where the town next door is mostly Hispanic. The kids speak near perfect English, even if their parents don't.
Just thought that was worth repeating.
Hispanics assimilate. They honor their culture, but become Americans. Just like the Irish in Boston, the Italians in Philadelphia, and the French in Louisiana.
Some people refuse to assimilate and live forever in their own enclaves, but not Hispanics.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:29 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Just thought that was worth repeating.
Hispanics assimilate. They honor their culture, but become Americans. Just like the Irish in Boston, the Italians in Philadelphia, and the French in Louisiana.
Some people refuse to assimilate and live forever in their own enclaves, but not Hispanics.
I live in small town Alabama, and the Hispanic kids here do learn perfect English (compared to their parents), but they also make up less than 2% of the schools so they are forced to if they want to fit in.

In a larger city where the school may be 80% Hispanic I’m not so sure they would assimilate as quickly.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:28 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,367,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, let's check the math....
"The 1990 census counted 4,000,000 people of Mexican descent in the state. Fewer than 20 percent of that population were of foreign birth."

OK, so very few of these were not born and bred as US citizens. Out of a population of 17 Million - also, there are OTHER hispanics than Mexicans, we can therefore say about 25% (including all hispanics) 29 years ago....

Close enough to your "30 years" - and, heck, you are only off by 70% or so (the up % from 15 to 25%).

So now we may have 11 Million of all Hispanics - out of 29 million.......

That's 28.3% or so.......

If those numbers are correct, then the percentage of hispanics has increased from 25% to less than 29%.
Those numbers are not correct. Your arithmetic is also wrong.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
No you have to keep Trump.

I said what I did because, Texas has gold reserves, military and oil, that and a school teacher that said, Texas can stand independent as its own country.
That business about Texas being a nation is an urban myth. Texas can divide into 5 states.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:59 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,592,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Those numbers are not correct. Your arithmetic is also wrong.
If you make an assertion, provide citations, otherwise it's just hot air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies