Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2019, 11:25 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why? Should we sweep anti-Semitic comments made by elected congresswomen under the rug? I dare say that if a Republican made a similar remark, directed against blacks, it would be the #1 lead-off story on every liberal rag and TV station that night - and for a week afterward.
Choose an equal opponent. If Kamala harris or gabbard said so it's a problem. You are quoting a somalian muslim woman for her anti semitism as if it would be anything new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 11:28 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Choose an equal opponent. If Kamala harris or gabbard said so it's a problem. You are quoting a somalian muslim woman for her anti semitism as if it would be anything new.
But the problem is that she is a US congresswoman with these views. Why should her background matter when it comes to bigotry? The only background that should matter is that she is an American, right? At least that is what we are told. Her antisemitic views are unAmerican.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:40 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
She's not just any somalian muslim woman - she is an elected member of Congress who is influencing legislators against Israel and American Jews.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I opened it but hit the Arabic-wall and in looking for the original Al Jazeera poll (best source, with parameters defined not a tweet) stumbled instead on the Pew Poll. There was no way I was going to start trying to translate a long Arabic tweet. Sorry.

The broader point remains: Arabs living in the West Bank have stable lives, certainly compared to next-door Syria - so much so that many want to become Israeli citizens, with all the rights that brings. The continued West Bank settlement and the annexation proposals threaten that stability with various unknown downstream impacts.

Another factor is that Israel is increasingly moving to the right - driven in part by the outsized influence of religious extremism with their outsize role in forming governing coalitions.

Of course not (per the bold, at least today) but that's hardly the thread title. Each side has its various talking points, with it sometimes interesting to dissect one for historical accuracy although its not always worth the worth the time or bother. The larger interest is what works to destabilize - and what factors do not destabilize. Per my earlier comment, I simply do not get too worked up by proposed BDS boycotts if they function to release pressure.
Ah, but is that all they do? Based on the upswing in hate crimes against Jews on campuses where BDS is more active, the anti-Jew yells being made, and the anti-Jew jokes being made (with the added audacity of the "speaker" joking that he's KNOWS they're anti-Semitic), I'd say they encourage antisemitism. With hate crimes more prevalent against Jews than any other religion, and as a Jew, I say they do harm.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:52 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
I opened it but hit the Arabic-wall and in looking for the original Al Jazeera poll (best source, with parameters defined not a tweet) stumbled instead on the Pew Poll. There was no way I was going to start trying to translate a long Arabic tweet. Sorry.
You can do a simple google translate and you will see it.
Quote:
The broader point remains: Arabs living in the West Bank have stable lives, certainly compared to next-door Syria - so much so that many want to become Israeli citizens, with all the rights that brings. The continued West Bank settlement and the annexation proposals threaten that stability with various unknown downstream impacts.
No, the Arabs in Judea and Samaria already understand that more Jews - more jobs.
Quote:
Another factor is that Israel is increasingly moving to the right - driven in part by the outsized influence of religious extremism with their outsize role in forming governing coalitions.
No, the situation with "moving to the right is stable as 20 years ago. You can see the results of the elections.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:04 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
You can do a simple google translate and you will see it.

No, the Arabs in Judea and Samaria already understand that more Jews - more jobs.

No, the situation with "moving to the right is stable as 20 years ago. You can see the results of the elections.
The issue is what needs to be be done to obtain prior election results - like Netanyahu floating that annexation proposal when in prior years he did not actively entertain them.

That the Palestinian Arabs find the settlements a positive (your "more jobs") does not begin to explain the IDF presence that is, in part, to keep the settlers and Palestinians apart. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, some Jewish extremists now are even lobbing rocks at the IDF.

That some Palestinians work in settlement construction does not begin to describe the economic losses and restrictions on Palestinian-businesses.

Israel will have to work it out, somehow - or, more likely, struggle on. But in the interim I simply do not get that upset by BDS calls for boycotts.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The issue is what needs to be be done to obtain prior election results - like Netanyahu floating that annexation proposal when in prior years he did not actively entertain them.

That the Palestinian Arabs find the settlements a positive (your "more jobs") does not begin to explain the IDF presence that is, in part, to keep the settlers and Palestinians apart. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, some Jewish extremists now are even lobbing rocks at the IDF.

That some Palestinians work in settlement construction does not begin to describe the economic losses and restrictions on Palestinian-businesses.

Israel will have to work it out, somehow - or, more likely, struggle on. But in the interim I simply do not get that upset by BDS calls for boycotts.

You have nothing at stake.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:18 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
[/b]

You have nothing at stake.
Bull ... destabilization that potentially leads to terrorism or other world conflict and resulting military expenses impacts everyone. As we speak, there's this whole ongoing discussion about the U.S. presence in Syria that is (or had been), in part, to deal the Iran - Israeli (and Gulf Arab) situation.

The West Bank and even Gaza may not now be the world's hot spot but there's no need to stir pots. That some Israelis obtain cheaper housing in the West Bank and others act on various religious texts - that really is not my concern. Nor, I suppose from a purely self-focused perspective is whether or not some Palestinian is forced to vacate land.

The end-results of this, however, may well be. Like I said, I really don't expect Israel to 'solve' matters for there's no end-resolution in sight. Just no need to make an already difficult situation worse.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:57 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Quote:
She's not just any somalian muslim woman - she is an elected member of Congress who is influencing legislators against Israel and American Jews.
Remember, Rep. Ilhan Omar has taken it upon herself to be a leader in the anti-Semitic movement. We had a conference here in the Seattle area called "Intersectional community dialogue on weaponizing charges of anti-Semitism." It was basically how to be an anti-Semite and fly under the radar.

A local NAACP official attended, and was asked in an interview how she found out about it. She said that Ilhan Omar had 'reached out.' Rep. Omar's district in MN is about 1800 miles away from Seattle.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
I'm actually thinking of writing an article about liberals' "protected" and "unprotected" minorities, which is determined primarily as to whether they are seen as doing worse or better than average. Peoblem is that since I've adopted the protected versus unprotected phrase to briefly capture what liberals are doing to this country, I would lose my anonymity once it is published under my actual name.

(I have done a lot of ghost-writing for national figures, so perhaps I can go that route.)
I don't know where you come up with this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies