Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2019, 07:57 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It was a cheap shot, because you're trying to shut down the conversation with a post like that.

Again, how can you defend the actions of the Israeli government? Increasing settlements, the overcrowding of Gaza, and the illegal occupation of Golan Heights among other things?
Again, not a cheap shot. This needs to be done a lot more often, until people stop trying to compare everything to Nazi Germany.

I never defended the settlements. I am critical of them. I think it is the wrong way to go, if they want a viable 2 state solution.

Overcrowding in Gaza? A testament to the fact that this is NOT like Nazi Germany. This is NOT a genocide. There are a lot MORE Palestinians, not less, as you would expect from a genocide. What to do about it? I dont know. What do people do when they outgrow their home country? Maybe some should immigrate to other countries? They dont have to stay where they are. And Israel isn’t their only choice to immigrate to, so let them pick some other countries. Either way, it is not Israel’s problem that they are outgrowing their land.

Golan Heights? Meh. You attack a country and lose, you pay the price. Golan Heights is a strategic point of advantage for an attack on Israel. I dont blame Israel for not feeling secure with it in the hands of Syria. They have to do what is safe for them. They did offer to give it back to Syria in exchange for peace, but Syria rejected the offer, so it is hard for me to feel bad for the Syrians. They can have the land back for FREE. All the have to do is recognize Israel’s right to exist, and promise not to attack them.

Those seem like reasonable terms to me. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 08:11 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
There's an obvious a answer. But if I say what it is, liberals on this forum will try to put me in my place by claiming I see antisemitism everywhere.
You are right. They are also right. Omar s words also doesnr need so much media attention either.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:40 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Somehow I have a feeling if Trump made the exact same statements she has made, you would call him an anti Semite for it.
No doubt. I also wonder if Trump wanted to stay in the middle east and not pull out troops like with Syria mess that he'd be called a war monger.

TDS is strong with some people. I have never liked trump personally, I found him to be an obnoxious bore but I've had to defend him so many times because people just can't be objective about him. I'm more interested in forcing people to be intellectually honest.

On thread topic, Omar is a rabid anti-Semite, if some can't see it, don't know what to say. She's got a long history of comments that one could pick from. It's not any one thing just the collection and when you add them up it becomes pretty obvious.

All of the shenanigans she's pulled with her immigration status and the multiple marriage thing, the stuff going on with her campaign staffer. She should be investigated for a couple of things.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:01 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
I never defended the settlements. I am critical of them. I think it is the wrong way to go, if they want a viable 2 state solution.
Kudos for the clear policy statement. I've only flipped through this thread to read the usual rabbit holes. The settlements destabilize the region. There were reports the other day in Israeli news that a radical Jewish settler group now had taken to stoning the IDF.

Quote:
Overcrowding in Gaza? A testament to the fact that this is NOT like Nazi Germany. This is NOT a genocide. There are a lot MORE Palestinians, not less, as you would expect from a genocide. What to do about it? I dont know. What do people do when they outgrow their home country? Maybe some should immigrate to other countries? They dont have to stay where they are. And Israel isn’t their only choice to immigrate to, so let them pick some other countries. Either way, it is not Israel’s problem that they are outgrowing their land.
Disagree, or at least it's more complicated. A substantial portion of the population within Gaza are not native to that territory - or descendants. They are instead Arab Palestinians who fled there (it was originally occupied by Egyptian forces) then could not return home. Offhand, I doubt many nations are lining up to take refugees from Gaza. Israel does not permit them to even join families now within the West Bank. That too many people are crowded into too small a space is Israel's problem. Resulting discontent and terrorism knows no boundaries.

Quote:
Golan Heights? Meh. You attack a country and lose, you pay the price. Golan Heights is a strategic point of advantage for an attack on Israel. I dont blame Israel for not feeling secure with it in the hands of Syria. They have to do what is safe for them. They did offer to give it back to Syria in exchange for peace, but Syria rejected the offer, so it is hard for me to feel bad for the Syrians. They can have the land back for FREE. All the have to do is recognize Israel’s right to exist, and promise not to attack them.

Those seem like reasonable terms to me. No?
Agree.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:15 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
These days, if you are prejudiced against any group except for arabs (and possibly non-Jewish whites), you see some type of backlash for it. But if you show prejudice against these two groups, no one seems to care.

So in conclusion, your paranoia is unfounded, and being anti-Israeli government =/= anti-semitism, they aren't one in the same
Except, as I've explained a zillion times (please take off your liberal blinders and LISTEN), the two do indeed overlap, and shockingly often. Just look at any anti-Israel thread, and see how much of the demonization is directed at Jews, with snarky remarks about them and their religion.

The fact is that anti-Semites are hiding under the clock of "anti-Israelism" (is that a word?) because it's the PC way to be anti-Semitic. But get into a discussion of any length with any of them, and they reveal themselves soon enough. The danger is that the constant conflation of Israel and Jews not only embolden anti-Semites but drive it, as well.

The prime example is with the anti-Semitic BDS movement. Anti-Jew hate crimes are most prevalent on campuses with active BDS chapters, and one can hear the cries of "get out, Jews!" ringing in the crowd, or, as in one NC college (forget which one), some guest speaker at an anti-Israel protest proudly makes anti-Semitic jokes, and SAYS he knows they're anti-Semitic! And then laughs.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
You are right. They are also right. Omar s words also doesnr need so much media attention either.
Why? Should we sweep anti-Semitic comments made by elected congresswomen under the rug? I dare say that if a Republican made a similar remark, directed against blacks, it would be the #1 lead-off story on every liberal rag and TV station that night - and for a week afterward.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I’m sorry, which parts of Israel or Palestine look like this?
OMG. Wish you posted a warning before that, but it did make the point.

What liberals don't get is that Jews learned a VERY, VERY, VERY hard lesson that being compliant and "nice" will do nothing other than get them starved and killed - by the millions. And while I too have said I wish the Israel government would be less aggressive with the settlements, I fully support their stance that until anti-Semitic Arabs acknowledge Israel's right to exist, they should protect its borders (including the new borders they won when Arabs attacked them in '67) and refuse to give a square inch until the Arabs retract their "destroy Israel" mantra.

Stand firm, Israel.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Except, as I've explained a zillion times (please take off your liberal blinders and LISTEN), the two do indeed overlap, and shockingly often. Just look at any anti-Israel thread, and see how much of the demonization is directed at Jews, with snarky remarks about them and their religion.

The fact is that anti-Semites are hiding under the clock of "anti-Israelism" (is that a word?) because it's the PC way to be anti-Semitic. But get into a discussion of any length with any of them, and they reveal themselves soon enough. The danger is that the constant conflation of Israel and Jews not only embolden anti-Semites but drive it, as well.

The prime example is with the anti-Semitic BDS movement. Anti-Jew hate crimes are most prevalent on campuses with active BDS chapters, and one can hear the cries of "get out, Jews!" ringing in the crowd, or, as in one NC college (forget which one), some guest speaker at an anti-Israel protest proudly makes anti-Semitic jokes, and SAYS he knows they're anti-Semitic! And then laughs.
BDS isn't anti-semitic, it's the same as the boycotts against apartheid South Africa

Old 10-28-2019, 09:47 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
BDS isn't anti-semitic, it's the same as the boycotts against apartheid South Africa
Omar's rhetoric is over the top, and rhetoric is not necessarily harmless always to be ignored. That said, the return rhetoric at times also seems off base.

Far better the rhetoric and threats of boycotts than terrorism. If the BDS (or any similar group) provides an outlet for Palestinian rage then so be it. It's probably unrealistic to expect Palestinians displaced by the wars to simply go away and forget an outcome that to this day continues to negatively impact many. It's one of the many prices that Israel paid and continues to pay for the land.

Israel plays the propaganda game; to expect Palestinians (and their supporters) to not return in kind strikes me as profoundly unrealistic.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:48 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
That was actually a supposed 'academic conference' on the Gaza Conflict held at the University of North Carolina. The conference ran from Friday night to Sunday [Shabbat anyone ?]. Details on that anti-Semitic And anti-Israel extravaganza would go off-topic, but Jewish Voices for Peace represented the Jewish 'side.' 'nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies