Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 01:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
On the other hand you voluntarily enter a place of business. The way I see it is that it's a mutually beneficial arrangement to both parties and the moment you step onto the property you should be agreeable to abiding by their policies. I know that as of now the law doesn't see it that way, but one can always hope that changes..
People still have some basic and constitutional rights even if they're on someone else's private property. Being on someone else's property doesn't mean you forfeit all of your legal rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 03:06 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Random checks are not the same thing as profiling. They're just that, random.
So you'd be fine with the receipt checks if they had it posted, right? But again I say that if you enter a business voluntarily you should be ok with their policies, they don't force you to do business with them.
The local Walmart seems to stop mostly handicapped people in the carts.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:29 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Theft hurts all consumers. I have no problem showing my receipt and if by doing that they don't have to lock up everything high theft then win win. These stores do this in crap areas because they have a higher dirtbag ratio that likes to pocket stuff without paying. The WM by my house doesn't check but the one in the hood by my work does. I COMPLETELY understand why they have to do it.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:51 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
According to the article, part of the issue is the self checkout and people not scanning some goods. Usually the self checkouts are in one area, instead of checking receipts at the door, just have the attendant stand in the self checkout area and observe the customers as they scan. Certainly no privacy issue there.
That's how it is at my local store. There is one or sometimes two employees that man the self checkout area.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:52 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I always have my receipt ready at Walmart and Costco.

I have nothing to hide and it only takes a few seconds. There will always be SJWs with chips on their shoulders looking to be offended.
I don't think you can compare the two stores. Costco checks receipts because it's a membership store. Walmart isn't.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I don't think you can compare the two stores. Costco checks receipts because it's a membership store. Walmart isn't.
Right. It's part of your membership agreement with Costco. And they check everyone's receipt, they don't do it randomly or profile anyone.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:22 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,374,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
to be fair, the quoted complaint was from Canada, sorry bout that

in fact I am just plain sorry
Don't apologize.. Because it's something I always expected to happen given this new (past year or so introductions) way of check out system!! While most are indeed honourable.. It only takes a few to ABUSE it.. that causes increased scrutiny ( beside a single personal worker standing near that self-checkout Zone)

Personally, I never use self Checkout zones.. as often cashiers miss or forget to credit "Discount labels" or forget something else.. Being Vigilant as a Consumer is important, going thru Self-Checkouts will encourage those who always look for venue to take advantage Stealing mentality! Sad but true.. Taking of tags and hiding in ones purse items are so easy in theist, Self-Check-outs is yet another weakness.. Course this came into practice in trying to cut back Cashier employee's ~~ How's that working out for them I ask??

I would welcome it personally, Course , I'm never going to attempt to steal or hide a purchase..EVER.. But some may very well attempt ~ given opportune venues to achieve it!!

Old 11-14-2019, 07:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
B

Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Walmart creates their own problems. Here they got rid of most of the night stockers and went to one cashier between 10 pm and 7 am. The very next week, someone went out the front door with $4500. of electronics. about 2 am.The door person was on break with no one to take her place.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:29 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I walk right past them at Walmart.

Don't even look at them

Kind of hard to do at Costco though.
Same here.

I'm not a shoplifter, and I think it is insulting.

I shop regularly at Walmart, and I can count the number of times the person has tried to get my attention on both hands max. Each time it has been the person yelling "Sir, Sir" trying to get my attention. If they actually sent someone walking after me I would turn around and speak my peace. I doubt they would want to go beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies