Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 01:04 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday a "handful" of State Department employees have tested positive for the coronavirus in the first official acknowledgement that his staff has been directly affected by the pandemic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/polit...ser/index.html

NY Post is reporting that Brussel's is reporting that they are seeing a lot more younger patients with severe symptoms. Post can be be inflammatory (no pun) and I'm trying to find the original article.
They won't care, most probably think they are young and healthy, they have nothing to worry about. Obesity will be a risk factor, but I don't think anybody will tell them that. Plus, drug use might be another factor, nobody mentioned that either

Old 03-17-2020, 01:04 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,305 times
Quote:
I agree. The best thing we can do now is educate.

People! Just stay away from other people. Everyone.
I have actually been trying to do this for most of my life and have received nothing but hate for it. People have treated me as though they have a right to invade my personal space.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:05 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
wow, New York state is getting out of control, and keep in mind they have 19.54 million people

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

1700 cases now, California will be bad too I have no doubt
The real number is likely 10 times that. Maybe even 100 times.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
None of this is Trump's responsibility. No reason to blame him.

It would be no different from a hurricane smashing into an East Coast metropolis. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say "President Trump must assist in a national disaster." He has every right to hit the golf course and not worry about it. We should all be thankful he's taking ANY time out of his busy schedule to deal with this.
Busy schedule playing golf? Really? He is supposed to lead the country, in case you didn't know.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:08 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
wow, New York state is getting out of control, and keep in mind they have 19.54 million people

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

1700 cases now, California will be bad too I have no doubt
More testing is going on in those places. That makes the numbers spike.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:08 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So, things like this get said, and then people say "well if all those people are really infected, then the virus MUST be mild", BUT it may be that all those people they project as infected,

are in the incubation period and are not showing symptoms yet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-17-2020, 01:13 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,088,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Reciprocation
We'll flame eachother at another time, another place
Until the-stay safe
Amen to that.

Cheers! (we need a beer emoji )

Old 03-17-2020, 01:14 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Obviously, here in my town, people are exhibiting panic behavior or they wouldn't be out of these things and putting limits on their purchase. The store was quite full for a Tuesday morning.

I see the same thing here. Part of the panic IMHO is brought on by people buying everything they can to resell at higher prices which empty the store shelves. TP being one example.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
NY Post is reporting that Brussel's is reporting that they are seeing a lot more younger patients with severe symptoms. Post can be be inflammatory (no pun) and I'm trying to find the original article.
This could also be directly related to the amount of virus one gets infected with. I wrote about that this morning:

I saw an interesting thing with regards to getting infected, and being a scientist myself, that works/creates viruses, it did make sense and might be one of the reasons why some younger people become critical and even die with this coronavirus and why some older people get mild symptoms.

Of course, I would never use "absolutes" like, if you're over 60 or 70 and get it, it kills 100% of you, or if you are under 40, 100% of the people will get no symptoms or only a fever and a cough for a few days and there will be no deaths, we all know that is not the case. The virologist I saw was talking about viral load and viral titer when getting infected.

There is a minimum threshold that needs to occur for one to be "officially" infected, if the amount of virus is under this threshold, your body will eliminate it immediately like it should. His theory is that when someone gets infected just above this threshold, the body has plenty of time to mount its defense and the patient will usually have no to mild symptoms. Now of course, there are dozens of underlying conditions everyone can have, like smoking, diabetes, heath disease, being immunocompromised, obesity, etc, that also can play a huge part.

But when someone gets infected with a huge load/titer of the virus all at once, say like 1,000 to 10,000 or more times this minimum threshold, that's when you can see bad things, very bad things (like the cytokine storm), even in young people happen. I'm not saying this explains all of those seemingly young "healthy" people that get infected who become critical and maybe even die, but it's just some food for thought.

I guess the overall point he was trying to make, is if you get infected, it's probably best that it's the least amount of virus, just above that infection threshold as possible to give your body time to mount a successful defense.

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-17-2020 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 01:16 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/86-of-...ed-study-says/

86% of people with coronavirus are walking around undetected, study says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies