Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 01:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Joe Biden stated that the China travel restriction was racist and xenophobic.

I bet you're going to vote for him in November anyway.
Joe Biden did say Trump was racist and xenophobic but it was because he called the virus the 'Chinese virus' -- I don't think Biden said that about the travel ban on everyone but Americans.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:43 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
This is a smart virus. It infects the body then lay in waiting hoping that its host spread it to other hosts. Although I have not heard it mentioned, but likely it piggy backs on other viruses and allergies as a means of distribution. It's coming into fruition at the beginning of allergy season and during the cold and flu season. Many people with the virus, maybe most, display no sever symptoms. Sneezing is not a symptom of coronavirus, but the virus can use that sneeze to distribute itself on surfaces. It can use that runny nose to get its host to wipe the nose then touch a surface. It can use that "wet cough" of a cold, while it shows no symptoms.

This virus just seems "too smart" to me.

The virus is going to spread through families, where social distancing is harder. It's one thing to create social distance with strangers vs loved ones. To not kiss your spouse (significant other) kids, etc. To avoid close contact with them...for weeks or even months. Unless you create social distance within families and within households...its going to be hard to stop the spread. Little Johnny sneezing is not a sign of the coronavirus by little Johnny might have the coronavirus while he sneezes too close to grandma. Nobody worried because Johnny just has seasonal allergies.

This virus just seems "too smart" to me? How did it evolve so quickly to be so effective?

Old 03-17-2020, 01:44 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
So much anymosity.

To Trump supporters: Those who don't agree with you have a right not to. The voice of voters elected the Democrats to lead in Congress. So by calling the Democrats names and disrespecting them you also disrespect the voters who sided against Republicans. And that works both ways.

I know that Americans in this forum do not represent all Americans. Otherwise I would beleive that all Americans don't mind corruption as long as they get what they want and it does not hurt them personally. But it is okay if other people get hurt just not you (children in cages is okay I guess because it is not your children). It is blatantly obvious that Americans have been hoodwinked yet so transparently that it is difficult to beleive they can not see reality for what it is.

This issue is such a source of stress in my life. It is difficult not to get wrapped up in it when I am in the country who is the best friend to America and who has had mud slinged at us with false accusations and bullying by the presidency. HIs administration's decisions direcly affect our economy and thereby me personally. So to say it is none of my business what the USA does is ignorant.

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Upstate South Carolina -- one person got it and they have not been able to identify how they got it -- what the source is. That one person has now infected over 20 people so far......
Is that the Kershaw county cases? I was joking with friends that anyone still going between Columbia and Florence needs to take the long way there to avoid Kershaw.

43,127 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, but certainly colder climates have some impact on people's immune system. Humans are not all identical. Some ethnic groups are more vulnerable to certain diseases than others are.
While climate might not influence infection rates, it might influence the severity of the disease.

Scandinavian countries might have joined late, but they already have lots of cases relative to their populations, roughly between 1k and 1.5k.
Denmark only got their first case 2/27. That's only 2.5-3 weeks ago.

All countries did not get the virus at the same time. So the numbers for everyone will not all be high.

I posted WHO's site because your original comment was that the cold weather was involved.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:47 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
ACTUALLY -=- it has been covered because the lack of community spread would indicate it was easy to contain.

Upstate South Carolina -- one person got it and they have not been able to identify how they got it -- what the source is. That one person has now infected over 20 people so far......

The one person here in Charleston County had traveled to Germany and had trouble getting tested because Italy was the only 'known' hot spot at the time and the federal govt. had such strict guidelines. Local ;health officials were not allowed to make their own decision to test or not. Eventually once all flus were eliminated, they conceded tested and found her to be positive.
I agree. But it seems like the poster I was responding to wanted news articles with a list of patient 0 for each country, and was hinting it was being "hidden." My comments were in regards to him seeming to want a bunch of articles on Patient 0 by country and who is to blame.

And like I said, for each case they list what they know (patient returned from trip to UK, patient was in contact with a confirmed case,etc.) because those are not as bothersome as a case with no know link, indicating community spread.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-17-2020, 01:48 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Is that the Kershaw county cases? I was joking with friends that anyone still going between Columbia and Florence needs to take the long way there to avoid Kershaw.
Are they still tracing people? Probably a pointless exercise now.

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We have hardly changed behavior, people still going to restaurants, shopping malls and flying around the country. We are not even close to the actions Italy took.
Colorado's governor closed restaurants to "eat-in" yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And meanwhile Trumpettes are still like... Trump is doing a great job, right?

I don't think there's a peer nation that's handled the situation worse than America.
Oh, please! Boris Johnson was going to somehow isolate the elderly (>70, I think) and let everyone else get it to achieve some sort of "herd immunity" until the WHO slapped his hands.

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
For sure. Of all places right?

Charleston just had their big food and wine festival where folks from all over come to wine and dine...of all things...and we are still sitting at one. And that person was a health professional who has been in isolation for almost tow weeks.

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This is a smart virus. It infects the body then lay in waiting hoping that its host spread it to other hosts. Although I have not heard it mentioned, it piggy backs on other viruses and allergies as a means of distribution. It's coming into fruition at the beginning of allergy season and during the cold and flu season. Many people with the virus, maybe most, display no sever symptoms. Sneezing is not a symptom of coronavirus, but the virus can use that sneeze to distribute itself on surfaces. It can use that runny nose to get its host to wipe the nose then touch a surface. It can use that "wet cough" of a cold, while it shows no symptoms.

This virus just seems "too smart" to me.

The virus is going to spread through families, where social distancing is harder. It's one thing to create social distance with strangers vs loved ones. To not kiss your spouse (significant other) kids, etc. To avoid close contact with them...for weeks or even months. Unless you create social distance within families and within households...its going to be hard to stop the spread. Little Johnny sneezing is not a sign of the coronavirus by little Johnny might have the coronavirus while he sneezes too close to grandma. Nobody worried because Johnny just has seasonal allergies.

This virus just seems "too smart" to me? How did it evolve so quickly to be so effective?
Maybe it was engineered after all. There are several military labs that are working with SARS and such nasty organisms, turning them into ever nastier bio-warfare agents.

I think those people responsible for those programs should be executed, be it in the US, China, wherever.

Of course viruses as such are utterly stupid, they don't think or want to spread. I wonder what the purpose of those stupid organisms is Maybe an evolutionary agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies