Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 03:42 AM

11,126 posts, read 5,614,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As more and more people are being told to work from home, do you think that this may cause a surge in the birthrates?
In 1965, there was a major power outage for one night, affecting 30 million people, including those in New York City. They couldn't watch television, so apparently many of them did something else. About 9 months later, the normal birthrate spiked a lot higher.

https://www.amny.com/news/when-nyc-w...os-1-11049275/

Old 03-15-2020, 05:01 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,810,386 times
Malaysia confirmed 190 new Covid-19 coronavirus cases on Sunday, raising the tally of infections in the country to 428.

Almost all cases were traced to a single religious gathering held two weeks ago.

I worry this degree of spreading might be going on now in any crowded gathering.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:29 AM

989 posts, read 458,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Malaysia confirmed 190 new Covid-19 coronavirus cases on Sunday, raising the tally of infections in the country to 428.

Almost all cases were traced to a single religious gathering held two weeks ago.

I worry this degree of spreading might be going on now in any crowded gathering.
Yes, such as the debacle in O'Hare airport yesterday or the daily runs to Costco which is overrun with people worse than Christmas. We can't do anything right in this country anymore.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
First of all, "Marketwatch" is not a scientific journal. Secondly, according to the article, this is only a proposal and not everyone goes along with it.
"Patrick Vallance, the U.K.’s chief scientific adviser, said herd immunity is an option the government is exploring in its effort to grapple with the coronavirus-borne illness COVID-19. . . Former U.K. Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt criticized the herd-immunity approach and said it was unwise to allow schools to remain open and people to gather and said Britain should take a more aggressive approach along the lines currently being forged by the U.S."

Finally, there is nothing, I repeat nothing in that article that references any past experience with measles, and in point of fact, measles INCIDENCE did not go down until vaccine was introduced. In point of fact, the UK lost its "measles elimination" status last year because cases rose again due to the debacle with the Andrew Wakefield paper.
https://publichealthengland.exposure...tion-in-the-uk
https://www.healio.com/infectious-di...cials-announce
Thank you for your excellent rebuttal above.

I agree it is lunacy to basically allow the virus to spread unchecked among the general population albeit the younger members.

I have postulated before that a controlled exposure to a limited percentage of troops or reserves might be considered since risk to their health is low and they could serve to assist the general population after they recover.

If troops/reserves are called to serve who have no immunity then they likely would become ill and pass the virus onto others too.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:35 AM

20,839 posts, read 17,152,728 times
Focus on individual protection and communicate to your neighbors who may need help.

Some, elderly cannot go out shopping. Offer to bring them food, wipe it down leave it outside their door and wipe the bag down with sani wipes.

It's a neighborhood, may be people whom you don't know. Offer to help. If someone is sick, call the EMT for them.

Be respondislbe, wear a mask when out keep your handitizer in your pocket. Wash down your clothes when you get home.

Step up. We are American's and together we can ease the burden of those less fortunate.

Be a good citizen. Shoulder the tasks. We're all better for it.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:45 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,784,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Thank you for your excellent rebuttal above.

I agree it is lunacy to basically allow the virus to spread unchecked among the general population albeit the younger members.

I have postulated before that a controlled exposure to a limited percentage of troops or reserves might be considered since risk to their health is low and they could serve to assist the general population after they recover.

If troops/reserves are called to serve who have no immunity then they likely would become ill and pass the virus onto others too.
That is a very interesting idea especially if those exposed are under 25 yo. You actually would want to add some health workers, police and the like to the pool. It is not without its risks but if they are likely to catch it anyway we may as well control it in such a way that it ends up beneficial to all.

But now is the time to do it. Can't wait until the system is overburdened.

I wonder if anyone is talking about this in decision-making circles?

Old 03-15-2020, 05:45 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,376,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
China is the only place on earth where the numbers are even slightly helpful:
80,844 total cases
3,199 deaths
66,912 recovered
10,733 active
Strange how Beijing has significantly colder average temperatures than Wuhan and nearly twice as many people as Wuhan, yet have far fewer accumulated infection cases. It flies against this logic being presented, about the virus surviving longer in cooler temperatures. Unless of course the temperatures were somehow flipped this year and it's population radically reduced. Considering there was a 6 week delay before any serious action, this would have spread across China and the world, which of course it did. The quarantine actions would have been way too late to be effective in other provinces and around the world.

If there are around 80 direct flights from Wuhan to Beijing daily, then the chances seem that within the early days of the outbreak, someone would have got on a plane to Beijing and spread the infection from there. Otherwise they could have taken a train or bus to Beijing and other provinces. The virus was obviously spreading like wildfire, otherwise there wouldn't be such extreme reaction to it. That seems probable within the space of 1 week of the outbreak commencing. Thus in terms of the infection spread, Beijing and other regions would have likely only been one week behind Wuhan in terms of the infection spread commencement date.

Remember that quarantine action was only taken about 6 weeks after the first reported case. This means the virus had at least 5 weeks to spread unchecked in all other regions of China and around the world. Yet the numbers in Beijing and other regions simply don'e reflect that. On that basis, the numbers China has put out, just don't seem even remotely realistic, nor believable. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:54 AM

BTW I didn't get on my flight to Cebu via Singapore. I was going to get stuck in Cebu which wouldn't get me home to my fiancé on Palawan. I know I don't have the virus, at least I am 99.9% certain, and my risk factors are low.

I didn't succeed in convincing my 86 yo mother to not fly from Florida on Wednesday. She flew and reported the airport was near empty, flight 1/2 full. She isn't exactly confined at home and was in.... Wait for it... Costco today. Seems 3pm is a good time to go.

Her cousin is in a nursing home where MS has slowly progressing. He certainly wouldn't make it and hope she knows enough not to visit.

I added someone today to my ignore list. First person to make the list in all the years I have been here.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:27 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,359,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Perhaps. At this point probably the best course would be a total shutdown of the country with almost everyone sheltering in place for a few weeks. We probably have a few days before its totally out of control like Italy. Assuming we are not there already. But I don't see the will to do that.
We will look like Italy in another week, everything shut down other than the basics. Hopefully we will slow it down to a manageable point so hospitals don't get inundated.

Strange that it took one NBA player getting the virus to start the avalanche, we should have been at this point this weeks ago.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:35 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,359,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Indeed. Multiply those numbers out. This is why Fauci looks so tense. He knows the seriousness of this, while too many of the people he reports to refuse to comprehend the meaning of these numbers. He's hoping they don't shoot the messenger. From what what I've seen of him, he chooses his words very carefully for this reason.

Not sure how many read this, but it's a poignant story of two young female Chinese health care workers, one a doctor, one a nurse - and their experience. It's a miserable ailment. One did not survive.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

Health care workers are at particular risk because of constant exposure. I heard a doc on TV a few days ago say the degree of exposure is another factor in severity. No other explanation for very young medical people succumbing to this extent. Doesn't appear any protection is adequate. Top doc in Italy just died from CV at the age of 67. Overexposure, male, age. It was only a matter of time for him.

https://www.google.com/search?q=top+...nt=firefox-b-1

Just looking at Washington state as an indicator we are going to be out of beds and healthcare workers, they need to be building additional capacity any way they can. Some places are asking nurses to come out of retirement and in Seattle they are looking for additional facilities.

I read the article on the nurse and doctor in China, both 29 years old but it seems they were compromised because of the long hours, sad story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies