Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 02:28 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't hate the Chinese, but their government sucks! Plus, all these weird virus came from that country, and this is not racist for me to say.
That's because they have weird eating habits by Western standards.
In this case it seems that infected pangolins were the problem. They are eaten in Asia and Africa, though. But because of the size of the Chinese population, problems are more likely to arise there.
But HIV originated in Africa, I think it came from monkeys that are eaten there.

I don't hate the Chinese, either, to the contrary, most of them are nice people.
I am allergic to the China-bashing that is so popular these days.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster just announced that all schools will be closed in the state until March 31st. He is apparently not going as far as the governors in Ohio and Illinois, but I feel like Trump will have to go further this week in closing bars and restaurants nationwide. But we shall see.

DHEC is investigating nine new possible cases in South Carolina including a day care worker in, I think Kershaw county. (I'll doouble check that.)

Old 03-15-2020, 02:29 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Default Descriptions of the lockdown in China as of Feb. 20, 2020 from a Chinese citizen, from Wikipedia etc.

An interesting article from the area near where coronavirus was first discovered.

The article is many pages long. Here are a few excerpts.

Can this be coming soon, to the U.S.?

----------------------------------

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/20...ne-xi-jinping/

THE FIRST WAVE

On Jan. 30, we went out for a drive and saw our first checkpoints. On country roads, we also saw red banners with similar messages to those in the online images. Smaller checkpoints appeared at every village, housing compound, or cul-de-sac. These usually consisted of two people in yellow vests—often nondescript younger men but in other cases older people—and a folding table. At major intersections and at highway onramps and offramps, we had to pass larger checkpoints manned by four to five people wearing police uniforms or white lab coats.

We were allowed to enter and walk around a larger town with a historic center and permitted to use the highway, both times after temperature checks, but were turned away from another village by a guard who appeared to think we were idiots to have gone for a pleasure drive.

We were mostly reassured by all this—maybe more so because it didn’t really affect us. Other places, especially villages, seemed to be panicking, closing themselves off to outsiders. Friends sent photos of bulldozers digging up the roads into villages. A few videos passed around online showed men with spears posted at village entrances as if they were trying to catch a werewolf.

Many places reportedly began searching for people who had escaped the quarantine and were hiding. Other banners we saw on social media carried messages like: “Those who have been to Hubei and do not report themselves are the enemy within.”

Last edited by Roboteer; 03-15-2020 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-15-2020, 02:31 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/20...ne-xi-jinping/

THE SECOND WAVE

It was around Feb. 3 that the government asked everyone in the city to stop going outside. In an online notice, the city government pleaded for people to stay indoors, suggesting that it would be best to send only one person out every other day, for under two hours. It concluded: “Staying indoors is your contribution to the Party and the Country.” But the message did not say that these measures were mandatory, and our evening walks by the river didn’t seem like much of a risk—especially because in the whole area around the city there were only four cases of the virus. We went out again, and nobody said anything.

But we started to notice mysterious barricades going up around neighboring housing compounds. From our 16th-floor window, they didn’t appear to be intended to block people but cars. It made us wonder what was coming next.

In the small Hubei city of Shiyan, under full quarantine, a friend told me that on the same day, the government also called for people to stop going outside. A poem was broadcast over local public address systems: “If you have a grain of rice, you can still avoid crowds. If you have one sprig of spring onion, you don’t need to shop for vegetables.”

Things changed again on Feb. 5. We were just about to go out for a walk when Mrs. W told us we weren’t allowed. She showed us a WeChat message from the property management company, explaining that staying indoors was now mandatory and that there was a new ticket system. We were shocked—we simply couldn’t believe that the property management company could force us to stay inside.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:32 PM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Great, so why did the federal agencies not start ramping up? If you're smart enough to figure it out, and the governor is not....maybe you should be governor.

Please take some of my responses as sarcastic....really...

Well, by all your buddies here, the governor does not run the federal portion of his state.....so it's all trumps fault....damn, gotta love being a leftir/dem/lib....
I am a Libertarian. I am not a lefty, blah blah blah person. If you ever have come across some of the stuff I have posted here I agree with lots of things Trump has done. Tax cuts, regulation cuts, etc. He is pro business, pro growth and I appreciate that. The prospect of Bernie becoming president scares me to death. I am not a fan of Biden.

Lots of things that have gone wrong would have no matter who is in the White House. There are other things that clearly fall in Trump's lap. Trump made the decision to ban travel from Europe. That was a good idea. But then it was up to Pence and his coronavirus team to put plans in action to deal with the deluge at the airports. That is at least how I think it should have gone. Like I said if reporters figured this out a minute after Trump stopped talking, Pence's team should have too. And since there will likely be more regions banned as this thing progresses perhaps they can learn from this mess and do better next time.

I think you get where I am coming from but are really hesitant to say anything that in any way is critical of Trump.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:33 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The mayor of Chicago and governor of Illinois were pissed that the federal government made these decisions without even bothering to consult with or even warn the cities that were going to be massively affected so they could make plans to mitigate the crowds. More haphazard leading from the top that resulted in hundreds of people possibly being exposed.

Such BS.....when a flight is planned, you have to let the incoming airport know you are coming, period, end of story. There was no failure from the top, unless you are talking about the top of Illinois, then yes I agree with you. So basically, this airport knew this/these flights are coming in, did nothing and blaming the president, because they were not told...BSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....

Old 03-15-2020, 02:33 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster just announced that all schools will be closed in the state until March 31st. He is apparently not going as far as the governors in Ohio and Illinois, but I feel like Trump will have to go further this week in closing bars and restaurants nationwide. But we shall see.

DHEC is investigating nine new possible cases in South Carolina including a day care worker in, I think Kershaw county. (I'll doouble check that.)
There will be a domino effect, until all states have similar limitations.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:34 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think the other EU countries need to step in and help. Is there a way we can donate something to them? I don't mind donating them some money. The only thing I can do.
Save you money. You might need to help some neighbors or family in the next few weeks.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:35 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
Last night I told a friend I was impressed at how different corporations are doing their part to slow the spread of the virus. Here in California there's Disneyland, Universal Studios, Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm and others all suspending operations. That's a lot of gate revenue when you add them up. In addition to all the money people spend inside those places.

Also consider almost all the professional sports leagues doing the same, conventions, tournaments, shows etc.

They're taking it seriously, as they should. There will be some lost revenue at hotels and other supporting businesses, but it's temporary in my option. Others may disagree but I believe the country will get a handle on the virus fairly quickly, with vaccines to follow.
Honestly-I wasn't taking this whole CV thing all that seriously when just the media idiots were hyping it up. That's what they do-it sells advertisements. But when the NBC, NHL, NCAA and NASCAR shut down, we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars. THey wouldn't do so unless they were actually concerned. Makes me wonder. I still expect the worst of this bug to be over in 2-4 weeks. But we'll see.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-15-2020 at 03:09 PM..

Old 03-15-2020, 02:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Again, the whole democrat narrative is that orange man failed to contain the Coronavirus and now many are infected.

If all these people were supposedly infected, enough time will have passed by the end of this week for the most vulnerable to be in intensive care.

This narrative is everywhere. You cannot deny it.
This virus isn't political. Doesn't matter what has happened in the past. What's important is what we do now and in the future. Key thing we need to do is ramp up testing. If you don't think it is a big deal, you should watch this and please, watch the whole clip.

https://youtu.be/V1xBiBVH7U4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies