Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 07:25 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Right - 100 years ago we chained natives together (Congo) and made them do Palm Oil or Rubber....whereas today we actually sometimes PAY THEM for it.

It was quite normal to cut off arms as a punishment...for those who didn't harvest enough for Palm-Olive.

Big difference. I bow to your historical knowledge.

Here is your Free Trade from the good ole days!
https://www.pinterest.com/davehunter9212/belgian-congo/
you should bow eternally, because 'we' did no such thing.

the USA is not belgium

Old 03-26-2020, 07:28 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
One thing missed with all this is how badly government run healthcare is doing dealing with the virus in Europe. If anything this virus should give us pause at trying any type of socialized healthcare that Sanders and Biden are pushing.

Countries like Spain, Italy, France etc with their government run healthcare are having all sorts of problems. Yes the USA has more cases than any one EU country outside of Italy. But if you take the EU as a whole (which is about equal to our economy) they are doing much worse.

There are at least 270K cases in the EU and at least 15K deaths. Compare that to our numbers.
Only silly people believe there are only 270k cases in the EU. The deaths reflect the people who contracted the disease weeks ago. How many had the disease two or three weeks ago? America had more time to prepare than the EU. Italy probably has had the virus for more than three months now. Donald "just like the regular flu" Trump spent two months doing nothing.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:28 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
The situation is Spain, France and Italy is truly a shock. 743 deaths in Italy yesterday per the WHO. Spain is right behind with 523. It's like a war zone in my imagination. These are not comfortable deaths. For the people working in the hospitals, I hope their governments have plans to mitigate the trauma of losing so many people in such a scene.

I am struggling to comprehend why so many are perishing.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm curious about something. Just how much of an economic boon has this virus been to the media industry? They make money from advertising, on either broadcast, print or web-based media. I can't help but notice just how many people are watching the news, following on the web and even reading the paper (thought by the time newspapers are published the news is out of date!).

Who's advertising? The ads you see now were probably bought a long time ago but if your business is shut down and you have no customer revenue then there's no need to advertise.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:34 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Only silly people believe there are only 270k cases in the EU. The deaths reflect the people who contracted the disease weeks ago. How many had the disease two or three weeks ago? America had more time to prepare than the EU. Italy probably has had the virus for more than three months now. Donald "just like the regular flu" Trump spent two months doing nothing.
I can only go by reported cases. Deaths are probably more accurate. The EU has 15 times the deaths compared to the USA.

Italy had 133 deaths almost 3 weeks ago. And they alone are 1/6th the size of the USA. That would equal 800 deaths here. No matter how you slice it socialized medicine is no panacea regarding the virus. It seems when you have no private sector healthcare industry to turn to that makes it more difficult for governments to deal with.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:36 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The situation is Spain, France and Italy is truly a shock. 743 deaths in Italy yesterday per the WHO. Spain is right behind with 523. It's like a war zone in my imagination. These are not comfortable deaths. For the people working in the hospitals, I hope their governments have plans to mitigate the trauma of losing so many people in such a scene.

At least all those people in the hospital have free healthcare.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:40 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:

So many are parishing because, in case you haven't heard, this is a very contagious and virulent virus.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:

Older population, greater prevalence of smoking are my guesses. You forget in the US how acceptable smoking used to be. In Southern Europe especially, the stigma is not what it has become here.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I can only go by reported cases. Deaths are probably more accurate. The EU has 15 times the deaths compared to the USA.

Italy had 133 deaths almost 3 weeks ago. And they alone are 1/6th the size of the USA. That would equal 800 deaths here. No matter how you slice it socialized medicine is no panacea regarding the virus. It seems when you have no private sector healthcare industry to turn to that makes it more difficult for governments to deal with.
Deaths reflect the people that got infected weeks ago. The people who die in America now are the ones who contracted it when reported corona virus cases were less than 10 000 people. So if you go by reported cases the way you define the "death rate", it is 10%.

Why does Europe have more deaths? Because it has been circulating in Southern Europe for many months already. It has nothing to do with "socialized medicine" (many of the countries you talk about do not have socialized medicine).

Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Older population, greater prevalence of smoking are my guesses. You forget in the US how acceptable smoking used to be. In Southern Europe especially, the stigma is not what it has become here.
But diabetes is more of a risk factor than smoking from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies