Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Deaths reflect the people that got infected weeks ago. The people who die in America now are the ones who contracted it when reported corona virus cases were less than 10 000 people. So if you go by reported cases the way you define the "death rate", it is 10%.

Why does Europe have more deaths? Because it has been circulating in Southern Europe for many months already. It has nothing to do with "socialized medicine" (many of the countries you talk about do not have socialized medicine).
'many months'? how many? and what is your evidence for this?

Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
But diabetes is more of a risk factor than smoking from what I've seen.
What I've seen....or enough evidence based studies?

I think it depends very much on the type of diabetes and other factors. But that's "I think".....

Smoking and even vaping seems a very obvious problem with any respiratory attack.

If Obesity is a factor we are more screwed than many places would be......will it spare the Obese in general? Who knows? Maybe their lung capacity has built up in a sense to keep their bodies alive? On the other hand, it strains the heart and high BP and all of that.

Can't win. I would think those who have practiced the healthy lifestyles would have some benefit....at least in comparison. We'll see. I'm a veggie senior who exercised and does not smoke and is not obese. It may help, but it's certainly not going to be a cure.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Deaths reflect the people that got infected weeks ago. The people who die in America now are the ones who contracted it when reported corona virus cases were less than 10 000 people. So if you go by reported cases the way you define the "death rate", it is 10%.

Why does Europe have more deaths? Because it has been circulating in Southern Europe for many months already. It has nothing to do with "socialized medicine" (many of the countries you talk about do not have socialized medicine).

Italy hit 1000 cases on Feb 29th. We broke 1000 on March 11th (we had 994 cases on the 10th) That is 11 days or really 10 days. Not months. And it was around the 24th when it started getting into the 100's in Italy.

And Italy, France, Germany, Spain, The UK. They have similar private healthcare as we do?

So Italy a country 1/6th the size of America had 368 deaths 10 days ago.

Don't believe me look up the numbers for yourself
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Old 03-26-2020, 07:53 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,088,583 times
Sounds like it's time to add Georgia to the list, Trump will probably declare it a disaster area pretty soon.

https://twitter.com/TrammellBob/stat...07443344756740

Old 03-26-2020, 07:55 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The situation is Spain, France and Italy is truly a shock. 743 deaths in Italy yesterday per the WHO. Spain is right behind with 523. It's like a war zone in my imagination. These are not comfortable deaths. For the people working in the hospitals, I hope their governments have plans to mitigate the trauma of losing so many people in such a scene.

I am struggling to comprehend why so many are perishing.
They are perishing because, despite their best efforts to stem the tide, they don’t have the medical resources. Imagine what it will be like in the US, where more than half of the country has taken virtually no steps to stem the tide.

There are a lot of Americans who appear to be unwilling to take inconvenient steps because they believe it won’t happen to them. They say, those Italians smoke, Chinese medicine is inferior, New York City is dirty, etc. they can’t fathom that they are at significant risk as well. They won’t be able to comprehend what’s happening in their communities when they realize they didn’t take steps to prepare or mitigate.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:57 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sad story out of georgia.

when this is over i expect to see an insane amount of studies investigating why this virus is a death sentence for some people and barely noticeable for others.
Let’s not forget that there are those who are carriers who while might not get sick but spread it.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Default "We're Going to Win so Much, You're Going to be so Sick and Tired of Winning."

At least Trump was right about that. We are literally sick and tired of winning. COVID-19 is doing us in even more than it should be thanks to Trump dismantling the Pandemic Reponse Team, ignoring the advice of the intelligence community that he act fast on its threat, minimizing its severity, and falsely suggesting chloroquine as a cure, leading to at least one person's death, all to increase his chances of reelection. Speaking of winning, what are all these wins Trump has to his credit? Now that the economy is wrecked, that is. We have no wall. The tariffs made our goods more expensive and caused farmers to go bankrupt, costing us even more. The opioid crisis was not addressed. We don't have a cheaper, better replacement for Obamacare. We haven't had any infrastructure improvements. Those manufacturing jobs haven't come back either. But Melania has her new tennis court and Trump improved his golf game. So those count as wins. For them at least.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/25...tory-covid-19/

Old 03-26-2020, 08:01 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
At least all those people in the hospital have free healthcare.

Hospital billing departments in the US must be having to work double shifts.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:03 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,778 times
Unbelievable...you've reached a new low Scobby.

I think some of you are totally excited that this happened! I'm sure if Obama was President during this time, with far worse numbers, you would be praising him.

This is a time we should be helping each other, and all some of you do is type this crap all day long. Take a good look at yourselves instead of blaming everything on Trump.

I don't see how anyone could have prevented this!

Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 AM

27,655 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
At least Trump was right about that. We are literally sick and tired of winning. COVID-19 is doing us in even more than it should be thanks to Trump dismantling the Pandemic Reponse Team, ignoring the advice of the intelligence community that he act fast on its threat, minimizing its severity, and falsely suggesting chloroquine as a cure, leading to at least one person's death, all to increase his chances of reelection. Speaking of winning, what are all these wins Trump has to his credit? Now that the economy is wrecked, that is. We have no wall. The tariffs made our goods more expensive and caused farmers to go bankrupt, costing us even more. The opioid crisis was not addressed. We don't have a cheaper, better replacement for Obamacare. We haven't had any infrastructure improvements. Those manufacturing jobs haven't come back either. But Melania has her new tennis court and Trump improved his golf game. So those count as wins. For them at least.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/25...tory-covid-19/
Still peddling lies
This board only makes me more cynical and brings out the worst. Its like stink rubs off on a person. I dont know why I try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies