Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 07:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Exactly.
Exactly wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 07:49 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
The facts embarrassed the Trump administration. He had to go.

Shortly, he will be demonized on this forum ...
Not going to demonize him, but SECNAV said he fired him for going to the media outside chain of command. Which is a firing offense. Skippers have had careers scuttled for less.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
How are we any different than Communist Soviet Union?
When one of their subs was in distress, the captain sent out a plea for help and the Soviets let all perish in order to save face. We chastised them for that.
I have told you before and I am telling you again. You have been blinded by your own hatred and you do not know what reality is.

The captain was NOT fired because he reported the issue. He was fired because he did NOT take into care how the information was sent. His recklessness caused his letter to be leaked.

He's not a whistleblower!

If you recall, in the Trump impeachment, people have argued whether or not the whistleblower went through the proper channel before it was leaked? In that case, the whistleblower did go through the proper channel, but the captain didn't.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,700,298 times
Quote:
The facts embarrassed the Trump administration. He had to go.

Shortly, he will be demonized on this forum ...
This man's removal is just the latest in the absurd actions Trump has taken toward anyone who he thinks has insulted him, and it is a disgrace. Dictator Trump does not care to hear the truth, or how dedicated and professional someone might be, if they insult him they are history.

Not only does Trump have blood on his hands, so do the people who voted for, and still support him. I hope Trump lost the vote of every sailor who knows this man did nothing but try to protect them and tell the truth.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:10 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
He must have been pretty desperate! When you go to your superior for guidance and they fail to act what do you do? Let people continue to get sick? It’s a tough call.

Also he didn’t leak the situation to the press one of those 30 did.

The "pretty desperate" argument could be used by anyone in any situation to justify blatantly violating chain of command. I'll bet this same CO would have had his men court-martialed for making an end run around himself.

Do you have any evidence the CO first went through the chain of command and was ignored?

Who leaked it? You don't know so you don't know it wasn't him.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:16 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You are right he is the CO and I'm sure he has work hard to reach that pinnacle in his career. He must have felt pretty strongly to take the action that he did knowing full well what could happen because of it.
Yes you follow the COC but sometimes you do what's right regardless of the consequences. I agree how did it get out?

I'm retired Navy and did my last cruise as part of Flag Staff on the Enterprise, like you I find it hard to believe but I respect his convictions and personal sacrifice to potential stop the entire ship being infected if it isn't already.
The Big E!!!! A legend of a ship...

The Captain regardless of his motivations absolutely broke chain of command. Unthinkable to say the least coming from a commanding officer.

That email was leaked by the captain or someone else, but that is why you follow the chain of command.

Thank you for your service shipmate, Fair seas and following winds.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:18 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
This man's removal is just the latest in the absurd actions Trump has taken toward anyone who he thinks has insulted him, and it is a disgrace. Dictator Trump does not care to hear the truth, or how dedicated and professional someone might be, if they insult him they are history.

Not only does Trump have blood on his hands, so do the people who voted for, and still support him. I hope Trump lost the vote of every sailor who knows this man did nothing but try to protect them and tell the truth.
No. The Captain (equivalent to an Army Colonel) was relieved of command because he created a security issue; he allowed classified information to become public. Do you people not get that announcing to the world that a ship is full of incapacitated soldiers, for whatever reason, gives information about current readiness and chinks in the armor? He did this also after the notice went down the pipes that information about service members with virus was only to be released in general terms through the pentagon, not by installation, ship, or command. This was not done to spare the Trump Administration of anything, it was done to keep information from bad actors.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:20 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
There is a video out there of the sailors on the ship cheering him and shouting his name as he is lead away after being fired by Trump for speaking out.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:21 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No. The Captain (equivalent to an Army Colonel) was relieved of command because he created a security issue; he allowed classified information to become public. Do you people not get that announcing to the world that a ship is full of incapacitated soldiers, for whatever reason, gives information about current readiness and chinks in the armor? He did this also after the notice went down the pipes that information about service members with virus was only to be released in general terms through the pentagon, not by installation, ship, or command. This was not done to spare the Trump Administration of anything, it was done to keep information from bad actors.
Thank you for explaining what is obvious to any who has served or who dont put party before rational thought.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:26 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Saw that coming. He disregarded the chain of command but I really feel for him. His actions were out of sincere concern and desperation. Pray he is able to pick up from this point.
As long as he is willing to say the right things, he can have a short-lived run on the media outlets as a pundit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies