Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you believe about the Breonna Taylor shooting?
Completely justified. 26 46.43%
Somewhat questionable. 9 16.07%
Highly questionable. 11 19.64%
Completely unjustified. 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 09:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Systematic racism is the explanation, drug laws have been used against minorities for decades.

Honestly, I believe they only target and arrest 'non-minorities' for drug crimes... so they can say, "look here, these white people were arrested for drug crimes too" (its a distraction/slight of hand so to speak).
I think the explanation is way more involved. I think all of us are to some degree racists, because it is natural to have a level of distrust about people who are different from ourselves. The color of our skins is something that is identifiable, and unfortunately we make a lot of assumptions based on the color of someone's skin. But I think the police did have reason to take an interest in Taylor, and her association with her ex-boyfriend, a known drug dealer. There were things that validated that interest.

I see the events of the night from a different perspective. I think that some police officers have a very human desire to ramp up situations. When we hear of the police going commando, we think, well the days of Andy Griffith are long gone. We forget that Andy Griffith's foil was Barney Fife, who came off as a buffoon for the most part, but was a very human cop. He wanted to go all gung-ho. He saw himself as the hero, going in guns blazing. He wanted the excitement and the feeling of being important, doing something important. He was given to building up criminals in his mind.

I think that the police officers built-up in their minds the danger that Breonna Taylor posed. And they escalated the risk. I'm not saying they were buffoons, but they did completely botch serving this warrant on Taylor's apartment, and I think they did this because they wanted to make a difference in their community, wanted to feel like they were making an important contribution, and the more dangerous the criminal they apprehend, the more important it is that they apprehended that criminal.

I don't know any of these law enforcement officers, but from some of what they have said, this underlies some of their statements. And it explains why they feel so justified in what happened that night, even though Taylor died. It was a tragedy, but I think a very human one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 09:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No they do not. Adding to this is the fact that this woman’s ex boyfriend was a crack dealer who used her address. This is why the police had that address. Why was such a “good woman” dating a man like that? Her new boyfriend who was in bed with her went to bed with his gun and fired upon the police. What do people expect the police to do when fired upon? While mistakes happens that led to this event, that does not make the officers ordered to execute this warrant murders. These officers should never have been criminally investigated at all. This is matter for civil courts as the real question is why these officers had a no knock warrant in the wrong place. Clearly civil damages are warranted here.

Still breonna Taylor was keeping bad company. Our mothers all want us about that when we are children. Why would a woman who is not supposedly a criminal date a criminal? Her keeping of bad company definitely contributed to her own death.
Very stupid of the police to execute a drug search warrant at 2am in the morning!

That is actually very suspicious in my opinion, naturally if someone is breaking down your door at 2am, most people are going to believe its criminals, and start shooting.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:48 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I hope they fry the shooter in the electric chair with 1,000 people watching and he is not allowed a mask, so we can see his face.
We should bring back public hangings.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the explanation is way more involved. I think all of us are to some degree racists, because it is natural to have a level of distrust about people who are different from ourselves. The color of our skins is something that is identifiable, and unfortunately we make a lot of assumptions based on the color of someone's skin. But I think the police did have reason to take an interest in Taylor, and her association with her ex-boyfriend, a known drug dealer. There were things that validated that interest.

I see the events of the night from a different perspective. I think that some police officers have a very human desire to ramp up situations. When we hear of the police going commando, we think, well the days of Andy Griffith are long gone. We forget that Andy Griffith's foil was Barney Fife, who came off as a buffoon for the most part, but was a very human cop. He wanted to go all gung-ho. He saw himself as the hero, going in guns blazing. He wanted the excitement and the feeling of being important, doing something important. He was given to building up criminals in his mind.

I think that the police officers built-up in their minds the danger that Breonna Taylor posed. And they escalated the risk. I'm not saying they were buffoons, but they did completely botch serving this warrant on Taylor's apartment, and I think they did this because they wanted to make a difference in their community, wanted to feel like they were making an important contribution, and the more dangerous the criminal they apprehend, the more important it is that they apprehended that criminal.

I don't know any of these law enforcement officers, but from some of what they have said, this underlies some of their statements. And it explains why they feel so justified in what happened that night, even though Taylor died. It was a tragedy, but I think a very human one.
I do agree, I know a few cops, when it comes to drugs, they all think they are doing a good thing by aggressively enforcing drug laws.

The larger picture though, police are targeting low level dealers and users...why not target how all these drugs are entering the country so consistently, and why so many reach their destination so consistently?!!

Lets look at the figures...drug laws have been around for decades now...but in my area, the heroin problem is the worst its ever been! How long does it take police to realize enforcement is NOT helping solve the problem? They arrest one or two small time dealers like her BF and 5 more spring up to replace him!

This is one of the reasons why I dont believe they truly want to stop the flow of drugs, its too much of a lucrative benefit, (to both law enforcement and the drug cartels supplying the drugs).

Old 09-24-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I do agree, I know a few cops, when it comes to drugs, they all think they are doing a good thing by aggressively enforcing drug laws.

The larger picture though, police are targeting low level dealers and users...why not target how all these drugs are entering the country so consistently, and why so many reach their destination so consistently?!!

Lets look at the figures...drug laws have been around for decades now...but in my area, the heroin problem is the worst its ever been! How long does it take police to realize enforcement is NOT helping solve the problem? They arrest one or two small time dealers like her BF and 5 more spring up to replace him!

This is one of the reasons why I dont believe they truly want to stop the flow of drugs, its too much of a lucrative benefit, (to both law enforcement and the drug cartels supplying the drugs).
I see drugs and the harm they cause, and I get the laws against drugs. But I also get your point. What we do doesn't stop drugs, or drug abuse. And while legalizing drugs has some positive outcomes, the fact is we have a whole slew of problems with legal drugs. And there is the thought that pharmaceuticals have stopped looking for cures for disease, because long-term treatments are so much more profitable. Real solutions seem to be beyond our reach, but I don't believe they will always be beyond our reach.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
The neighbor who heard the knock and announcement gave a sworn statement. The others who didn't hear anything...that doesn't negate the one who did. It's perfectly plausible to not hear things happening outside of one's own home.
It's perfectly plausible when someone is pounding on your door at 2am to be confused and scared and not comprehend what they are saying immediately. And when they break the door in, it's plausible that a legal, licensed gun owner might fire a warning shot to the intruders.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I see drugs and the harm they cause, and I get the laws against drugs. But I also get your point. What we do doesn't stop drugs, or drug abuse. And while legalizing drugs has some positive outcomes, the fact is we have a whole slew of problems with legal drugs. And there is the thought that pharmaceuticals have stopped looking for cures for disease, because long-term treatments are so much more profitable. Real solutions seem to be beyond our reach, but I don't believe they will always be beyond our reach.
Well, historically, when alcohol was made legal again...it forced the criminal element OUT!!

The 'criminals' cannot compete with legitimate industry...today, alcohol is manufactured and bottled by LARGE, legitimate companies, (who employ 1000s of people) and also must adhere to regulations and standards!

When was the last time you heard of any violence or gang activity among the alcohol distribution industry?

Old 09-24-2020, 10:07 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Well, that is what the Mexican Border Wall is for. Patience, grasshopper.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Her criminal associates. She didn't have a criminal record. She doesn't seem to have been engaged in criminal activities. She knew some drug dealers, and had dated one a couple of years ago.
Glover and others were arrested on 12/30. Guns and narcotics were seized.

On 1/2, she drove Glover, here and there, including stops at properties that had been served warrants in December.

Glover used her address for his mail.

Nothing thus far connects her with drug trafficking other than her association with Glover. Was she naive?

She worked a 12 hour shift as an ER tech, before the door to her unit was breached, shortly before 1:00 AM.

In Louisville, ER Tech compensation ranges $15-$18/ hr. She aspired to become a nurse.

I do not grasp the urgency of serving the warrants during the wee hours of the morning instead of waiting for her to emerge, later in the day.

Reportedly, LE was unaware if she had a dog or if others were in her apartment. Imagine if a niece or nephew had a sleepover.

Not clear any of this has much to do with her race. More to do with the insanity of the War on Drugs.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:10 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Glover and others were arrested on 12/30. Guns and narcotics were seized.

On 1/2, she drove Glover, here and there, including stops at properties that had been served warrants in December.

Glover used her address for his mail.

Nothing thus far connects her with drug trafficking other than her association with Glover. Was she naive?

She worked a 12 hour shift as an ER tech, before the door to her unit was breached, shortly before 1:00 AM.

In Louisville, ER Tech compensation ranges $15-$18/ hr. She aspired to become a nurse.

I do not grasp the urgency of serving the warrants during the wee hours of the morning instead of waiting for her to emerge, later in the day.

Reportedly, LE was unaware if she had a dog or if others were in her apartment. Imagine if a niece or nephew had a sleepover.

Not clear any of this has much to do with her race. More to do with the insanity of the War on Drugs.
If she had a dog and the dog was shot then these posters would be outraged. The police would have been convicted too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies