Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2020, 07:26 AM

494 posts, read 180,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK middle age mom...

How long do you want us shut down and hiding under our beds?

6 weeks to flatten the curve?

Last time it was 15 days to flatten the curve (that was mid March) and stuff finally started opening up in July/August here in PA, and our dictator governor looks like he's ready to shut things down again.
I think you need to take some reading comprehension classes. Middle Age Mom is not suggesting that the economy shut down. She is merely stating that the economy never was shutdown, but rather the virus itself is causing businesses to shut down. You can open anything you want, but until the virus is under control it doesn't matter because people are not going to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 07:29 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Who didn't see this coming? Thanks a lot, libs.
Sadly it wasn't even ALL of the libs.

Trump won a ton of blue collar and minority liberals.

Seems like what did it was the white, suburban, skinny jean / karen crowd in a few major metro areas.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
This is so scary. We really can’t afford another lockdown and not on this extreme. I did not vote for Biden and his is one of many reasons why. Terrible idea.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Myself and countless of other people would gladly give up the vaccine for myself to those who wants it more. That might help.

Yep! It sounds like 50% of people want it so let them have it and leave the rest of us alone.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:33 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
True, we never had a real "lockdown" and it varied very much state-by-state.
In my state (MI), we had a lot of people put out of work and not just in tourism, hospitality, entertainment segments.

We had the auto manufacturing industry, construction, trades, landscapers all shutdown by government (Governor) mandates. That impacts companies large and small, the suppliers, the service providers to those industries, and all the independent contractors that help make that all go.

I really don't want to see that again. There is a direct and indirect amount of wages/income lost when we were shutdown and the loss of future business and contracts.
Our Calif. Democrat governor initiated these lockdowns many times. Now he keeps swaying back and forth. Restaurants closed, movie theaters, etc. then he opens them up again, then he closes them down again. It's like a revolving door. It's ridiculous. Most places of businesses have been mandating masks and social distancing when they are open so what's the problem? If those things don't protect you and others then why are we doing them?

Old 11-12-2020, 07:34 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,069,120 times
I say do it in the democrat states they will love it leave the rest of us alone we believe in freedom

Old 11-12-2020, 07:38 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
True, we never had a real "lockdown" and it varied very much state-by-state.
In my state (MI), we had a lot of people put out of work and not just in tourism, hospitality, entertainment segments.

We had the auto manufacturing industry, construction, trades, landscapers all shutdown by government (Governor) mandates. That impacts companies large and small, the suppliers, the service providers to those industries, and all the independent contractors that help make that all go.

I really don't want to see that again. There is a direct and indirect amount of wages/income lost when we were shutdown and the loss of future business and contracts.
Fellow Michigander here, and work in the auto industry. While I was lucky enough to work from home this entire time, during the "lock down" we had reduced hours and pay. And the longer it went on the more it would have gotten...probably to the point of just being flat out laid off.

I don't want to see a shut down again, I think if it happened the result would make what happened here in '09 look like a beautiful vacation. I shudder to think back to that time....it was probably the worst in my life.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:39 AM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
I have to wonder with any virus, disease tracked with this intensity if there would be similar numbers. Any respiratory illness can be catestrophic to compromised individuals. I've respiratory issues for decades and learned to live with and/or avoid them along with getting through when they flare up. I have zero expectation or desire for things like a shutdown. The only thing I ask is simple sneeze or cough into a tissue, elbow etc. other than that I am on my own as should most.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why not??? SO AWESOME.

And then let's TAX everyone who works from home!!!!

Deutsche Bank Says 5% ‘Privilege’ Tax Hike For Those Who Work From Home Is Needed To Help Low Income Workers
https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/11/d...cent-tax-hike/
Did you read the link you posted or just the headline?

There has been a huge GLOBAL shift towards work from home because of the GLOBAL pandemic. Deutsche Bank surveyed 800 people and no surprise found a substantial number prefer to work from home.

No question that people working from home are not spending time or money commuting. They are not picking up donuts and coffee. They are not buying lunch or hanging out at watering holes after work. They can wear attire that would likely be viewed as inappropriate in a business environment.

A research strategist from Deutsche Bank expressed an opinion that it is a swell idea to consider imposing a 5% privilege tax WHEN working from home is a choice, independent of any government mandate, based on the number of days working from home vs in the office.

This opinion has gotten far more attention than it deserves.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:46 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
I think you need to take some reading comprehension classes. Middle Age Mom is not suggesting that the economy shut down. She is merely stating that the economy never was shutdown, but rather the virus itself is causing businesses to shut down. You can open anything you want, but until the virus is under control it doesn't matter because people are not going to go.
Perhaps she can tell us what she is suggesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies