Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2020, 08:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We can open everything up today at 100% but we can`t force people to go to a restaurant. Locally the zoo and a major amusement park opened this summer and had to reduce their hours because no one was coming.
This is how Australia got back to near normal. They could have just let it go like we did but they took an adult approach. Of course it`s easier for them to control their borders but the people were asked to sacrifice and they did. Instead of whining about their rights and trying to intimidate politicians with their weapons they sacrificed for the good of their country. That`s what patriotic people do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...07d_story.html
As I've said before Americans are too individualistic and too selfish to be collectivist even in a time of need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 08:31 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As I've said before Americans are too individualistic and too selfish to be collectivist even in a time of need.
Collectivism, that sounds all warm & fuzzy and very USSR like.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:31 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/i...come-february/

Old 11-12-2020, 08:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It doesn't help the discussion that right wing nuts pollute the entire dialogue with "Alinskys" and "communist takeovers".

We need adults who are not conspiracy crackpots to debate this.

I don't support any more lockdowns, I think the net negatives are worse than the virus.

I my area movie theaters opened and then some shut right down because no one was coming. That's the virus, not the government. I don't see how anyone is going to go to any of these air trampoline/bounce U/urban air places...all are going to go under, and that's a shame and I feel bad for those businesses. But that's the virus, not the government.

But we need to live. Kids needs sports and social interaction. A full year with none of those things is unthinkable and unacceptable, but if people would stop allowing big indoor parties and people would stop being stupid in bars, I think 90% of this spread would have been contained.
You make good points. It’s the virus not government.

Disney learned this expensive lesson. They thought if they opened, the masses would come. They were mistaken.

Informal gatherings of 8-12 friends and/ or extended, non- resident families is believed to be one of the primary sources of the spread. People have a tendency to not wear masks or distance when they know the people.

Bars have been problematic, all along. The later the hour, the more alcohol consumed, the sloppier things get.

How many will throw caution to the wind and gather for Thanksgiving, this year? As the virus spreads, this could easily overwhelm hospitals , over the holidays.

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Me neither. I know about 7 people who had it. Two were high risk. They both needed supplemental oxygen at one point but were able to do this at home. None were hospitalized. All are now fully recovered. Most of them had mild cases.
I'm lucky too. I thought I had it and my father did too at one point. We were negative anytime we tested. Anyway, I haven't known anyone to have it nor die from it. That said, I do have empathy about it, most do not or cannot bring themselves to that.

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Relax you’re gonna be getting multiple checks to sit home and watch Netflix, drink beer and. BBQ LOL. What’s everyone complaining about?

They’re not going to outright shut the country down without handing out stimulus checks

A lot of these business have been in trouble anyways keeping things open. Anyone with a functioning brain is not going to crowded bars restaurants and theatres

Last edited by DorianRo; 11-12-2020 at 08:46 AM..

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/i...come-february/

Old 11-12-2020, 08:33 AM

6,751 posts, read 3,372,535 times
We were locked down for two months here in Nevada. The number of cases went down but even with restrictions they went back up when the lockdown ended. Our economy suffered, people lost their jobs, and small businesses went under.

The same thing will happen on a national scale if ignoramus Biden gets his way.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:37 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Individualism and selfishness is what made this country into what it is. A model for progress and innovation.

There are tradeoffs to everything in life.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:37 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This is so scary. We really can’t afford another lockdown and not on this extreme. I did not vote for Biden and his is one of many reasons why. Terrible idea.
Same here. I voted country first. He really does not have any plan pertaining to COVID that will actually help our country. He's taking too many notes from Coumo and Inslee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
We were locked down for two months here in Nevada. The number of cases went down but even with restrictions they went back up when the lockdown ended. Our economy suffered, people lost their jobs, and small businesses went under.

The same thing will happen on a national scale if ignoramus Biden gets his way.
You are exactly right. Look at Washington State. Businesses that have been in business for 25+ years are shutting their doors. A friend of mine is struggling to keep her business open too. It's not ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies