Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 06:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem isn't freedom, it is those that choose to be irresponsible with their freedoms and it effects others' freedom that individual freedom becomes a problem. But you knew that already and just post ignorant replies.
I think imposing another lockdown is being irresponsible with other people’s freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 06:22 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,632 times
Pretty sure we already tried this

Old 11-13-2020, 06:30 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
Just wait until you get the bill for these lockdowns when they decide to officially pass them through to taxpayers and consumers. Right now everything is on hold and they are winging it. Much tax revenue comes from businesses and economic activity and without it -- it has to be made up somewhere.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:41 AM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
OMG - 15,000 people in a country of 328 million.

I'd also like to dial down into that "with covid" stat. Are they hospitalized with covid or because of covid.

The media is also reporting that hospitalizations are up from September, but the true stat would be if they were up from a year ago. Do hospitalizations generally go up in the fall?

I live in Texas, and I have been tracking the stats on our county. Every day I check, and in the past 2 months, there have never been more than 5 people that have died of covid, most are over 80, and in EVERY case, there were underlying conditions. Yes, every death is sad, but what we are doing to society is criminal.

Yesterday, a high school student committed suicide from a school less than a mile from my house. We are destroying kids educations, and in many case lives, because of this shutdown.
Hospitalizations are increasing in many states including Texas, just pick up any newspaper really not hard to find.

Quote:
“Our hospitals are at capacity. Our medical professionals are overwhelmed. If we don’t respond, we will see unprecedented levels of deaths,” Samaniego said at a news briefing.

Essential businesses, including grocery stores, schools, child care centers, pharmacies and health care facilities, will remain open, he said. He said the order takes effect at midnight.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/el-paso-t...reach-capacity

Old 11-13-2020, 06:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think imposing another lockdown is being irresponsible with other people’s freedom.
So what's your plan? There are many who have mask fatigue and local police hardly enforce it.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:00 AM

1,603 posts, read 868,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I, like many people, have been following these COVID threads for months now, and I think I am seeing a shift in that more and more people are saying, "ENOUGH already!" and I am also seeing some references in the news to the fact that people are getting worn out from "pandemic fatigue" or "coronavirus burnout" -- to which most medical/science people reply, "Just learn to deal with it" and which is not very helpful. People want to live like they did a year ago, and I think the article below (for example) is just stupid when the author compares the new restrictions to wearing a bicycle helmet and simply advises telling oneself that the restrictions are for your own good. This is because the "rules" have gone way beyond washing your hands more often because not being able to socialize or have traditional holiday gatherings or wearing a mask whenever you go to an indoor public place is a MAJOR change in how one interacts with others; it is not just an inconvenience. Also, the situation with COVID is not even like the old pandemics, such as polio, when the outbreaks or dangerous seasons were only for a few months, at most. (The notable exception being the 1918 flu pandemic, which lasted for more than an entire year in the U.S.)

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...ndemic-fatigue

I wonder how long it is going to be until the majority of people say that they are no longer going to do without normal socializing and actually live their lives as they did a year ago? (I know that some people have always done this and that more people are doing this now than eight months ago, but I wonder how long it will until the people in the U.S. in general are going to rebel against the restrictions?)

I would love to see a poll on on how many people are going to willingly and voluntarily spend the holidays very differently this year than last year, how many will unwillingly spend them in a different way, and how many will say that they are spending them the same as usual, state restrictions or not.

I feel like some of the irrational fear from the spring has ramped back up since the election, and there are those that are almost gleeful at the prospect of a severe lockdown. Heck, there's a guy on here that has a long "plan" that sounds like something that came out of North Korea.

Having worked in open offices for many years, there's always a pattern to the year in which Summer is pretty chill illness wise, then there is a flurry when the kids go back to school but it doesn't last long, then after Thanksgiving many get sick, and those that avoid it do so after Christmas and we then all trade illnesses until spring allergy season hits. Rinse and repeat. This year will likely be similar except that the flu reports that used to get a 30 second mention on the nightly news in a bad year will be a prime time COVID special shouted from the rooftops in this day and age.

As for holiday plans, ours are barely altered. The 5 core members of my family are either retired or have been working from home since March and have been together many times already this year. My wife did decline an invite from her extended family in an adjacent state as there will be tremendous mixing of multiple families due to recent marriages. She doesn't want to get my elderly parents sick.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
So what's your plan? There are many who have mask fatigue and local police hardly enforce it.
I never see anyone without a mask inside of businesses and haven’t for a long time. Yet, we are seeing a massive surge. Businesses should not be forced to close all over again. People shouldn’t be forced to lose their jobs all over again.

If you are high risk, stay home.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I never see anyone without a mask inside of businesses and haven’t for a long time. Yet, we are seeing a massive surge. Businesses should not be forced to close all over again. People shouldn’t be forced to lose their jobs all over again.

If you are high risk, stay home.
And they get fired? Who will safety net then? I always ask when this "let businesses stay open but the at risk stay home" talking point, but I never seem to get a REAL answer from you "let businesses stay open but the at risk stay home" people. What makes them any different? I'm asking you, give me a REAL answer. Or is this more right wing hypocrisy like not accepting the winner like we had to in 2016?

Old 11-13-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
And they get fired? Who will safety net then? I always ask when this "let businesses stay open but the at risk stay home" talking point, but I never seem to get a REAL answer from you "let businesses stay open but the at risk stay home" people. What makes them any different? I'm asking you, give me a REAL answer. Or is this more right wing hypocrisy like not accepting the winner like we had to in 2016?
Most people who are high risk are retired. I think people in the high risk group who are working should be able to apply for financial help in the same way people apply for unemployment.

Lol, I’m not a “right winger”. I was a Democrat and then an Independent. I have only voted for a Republican for President once in my entire life. Way to make things personal.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:32 AM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I feel like some of the irrational fear from the spring has ramped back up since the election, and there are those that are almost gleeful at the prospect of a severe lockdown. Heck, there's a guy on here that has a long "plan" that sounds like something that came out of North Korea.

Having worked in open offices for many years, there's always a pattern to the year in which Summer is pretty chill illness wise, then there is a flurry when the kids go back to school but it doesn't last long, then after Thanksgiving many get sick, and those that avoid it do so after Christmas and we then all trade illnesses until spring allergy season hits. Rinse and repeat. This year will likely be similar except that the flu reports that used to get a 30 second mention on the nightly news in a bad year will be a prime time COVID special shouted from the rooftops in this day and age.

As for holiday plans, ours are barely altered. The 5 core members of my family are either retired or have been working from home since March and have been together many times already this year. My wife did decline an invite from her extended family in an adjacent state as there will be tremendous mixing of multiple families due to recent marriages. She doesn't want to get my elderly parents sick.
You can look at the numbers being generated over the last few weeks and can still claim this is irrational. This has nothing to with summer, Texas and Florida set records in August. No one is gleeful about the damage being done but this theory that we can just open up is irrational and not based on any science. How do you get an economy back on track if you can't solve the virus. We had 25,000 infections a day back in April when we had 3,000 deaths a day, now we have 150,000 infections a day. How do you continue business as usual with that increased rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies