Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 08:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Most people who are high risk are retired. I think people in the high risk group who are working should be able to apply for financial help in the same way people apply for unemployment.

Lol, I’m not a “right winger”. I was a Democrat and then an Independent. I have only voted for a Republican for President once in my entire life. Way to make things personal.
Well you had the same "We need to open up and those who are high risk need to stay gome" logic as many on the right have stated. I'm tired of seeing it and tired of people (not you) not replying to my reply about OK, what do we do then?

The problem is, it clearly isn't practical to keep only the at-risk at home. There are a lot of delivery deserts for produce still, despite the best efforts with expanding in the face of the pandemic. Unemployment is s*** compared to most jobs. It is not even minimum wage in Arizona. There is no mechanism to pay working age people to stay home and more importantly no political pressure to fix it. I have said this countess times this idea is brought up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 08:36 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,300,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You can look at the numbers being generated over the last few weeks and can still claim this is irrational. This has nothing to with summer, Texas and Florida set records in August. No one is gleeful about the damage being done but this theory that we can just open up is irrational and not based on any science. How do you get an economy back on track if you can't solve the virus. We had 25,000 infections a day back in April when we had 3,000 deaths a day, now we have 150,000 infections a day. How do you continue business as usual with that increased rate.
You just ignore it because at this stage the death and hospitalization rate has clearly fallen. I’ve ignored it for 7 months now and I’m still here. If I haven’t gotten this virus given my lifestyle the last 6-7 months I’m the luckiest person in the world

Old 11-13-2020, 08:57 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well you had the same "We need to open up and those who are high risk need to stay gome" logic as many on the right have stated. I'm tired of seeing it and tired of people (not you) not replying to my reply about OK, what do we do then?

The problem is, it clearly isn't practical to keep only the at-risk at home. There are a lot of delivery deserts for produce still, despite the best efforts with expanding in the face of the pandemic. Unemployment is s*** compared to most jobs. It is not even minimum wage in Arizona. There is no mechanism to pay working age people to stay home and more importantly no political pressure to fix it. I have said this countess times this idea is brought up.
If it’s unrealistic to just keep just those who are high risk at home then it’s far more unrealistic to keep everyone at home.

Unemployment is **** which is why most people would prefer to keep working and not be told by the government that they must stay home and lose their jobs.

Even among those who are higher risk, many don’t agree with shutdowns and would prefer to go out and about in spite of their risk. That groups should also be allowed to do that.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:24 AM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You can look at the numbers being generated over the last few weeks and can still claim this is irrational. This has nothing to with summer, Texas and Florida set records in August. No one is gleeful about the damage being done but this theory that we can just open up is irrational and not based on any science. How do you get an economy back on track if you can't solve the virus. We had 25,000 infections a day back in April when we had 3,000 deaths a day, now we have 150,000 infections a day. How do you continue business as usual with that increased rate.
The sunbelt saw a surge in the Summer due to being the time of year when many people are indoors of A/C due to heat, similar to what the North does in Winter, stay inside for heat.

Also, I see you omitted the death rate in your rationale. Did you omit the death rate as it has clearly fallen while cases have gone up?

Old 11-13-2020, 09:29 AM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
Another shutdown would spell disaster for our nation and not solve the virus crisis. Unemployment funds in many states have been insolvent since summer. $600 Federal pandemic assistance...gone, hopes of a second stimulus...unlikely.

If the Government shuts down the country again, we will see civil unrest unlike anything before as people will be unemployed, broke and starving. The great toilet paper run of April will look like nothing compared to what it would be without extra stimulus money from the Federal government.

The virus has been out of the bag since January and it’s inevitable you will either get it and survive (likeliest outcome) or get it and die. I am immuno-compromised but choose to live as best as I can taking precautions, virus will have to run its course. We are only human and can’t control it, just be thankful it’s not Ebola.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
The 4-6 week lockdown means the only things allowed are grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, and BLM protests?
Liquor stores were deemed essential too. Also graduation parties for governor's children are essential.

Oh an power plants, factories, "essential" construction projects, big corporate farms and food processing and packaging plants, dog groomers (in states where the governor has a dog), fast food resturuants, home improvement stores (except the paint aisle and plants). pharmacies,, convenience stores, anyplace that delivers things.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:35 AM

45,214 posts, read 26,427,822 times
No suprise, but looks like Bidens advisers are deadlier than the virus...by a bunch

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 11-13-2020 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-13-2020, 09:46 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,225 times
Fantasy land thinking by a myopic academic who can't see further than his nose.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Another shutdown would spell disaster for our nation and not solve the virus crisis. Unemployment funds in many states have been insolvent since summer. $600 Federal pandemic assistance...gone, hopes of a second stimulus...unlikely.

If the Government shuts down the country again, we will see civil unrest unlike anything before as people will be unemployed, broke and starving. The great toilet paper run of April will look like nothing compared to what it would be without extra stimulus money from the Federal government.

The virus has been out of the bag since January and it’s inevitable you will either get it and survive (likeliest outcome) or get it and die. I am immuno-compromised but choose to live as best as I can taking precautions, virus will have to run its course. We are only human and can’t control it, just be thankful it’s not Ebola.
I think you are exaggerating a bit here!

People today are as obedient and compliant as ever...I see proof of this every single day. If someone even thinks another person is doing something wrong or illegal, they are ready to call police at the drop of a hat!!

Ultimately, people WILL comply, they are too concerned over their own quality of life and do not want to risk being arrested and dealing with everything that comes with that, (loss of job, income, etc)

Old 11-13-2020, 11:27 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Hasn't this been done already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies