Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 07:06 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting.....

Mark Cuban confirms Mavericks are no longer playing national anthem at home games

The Mavericks haven’t played the national anthem prior to home games this season, and the team doesn’t plan on playing it for the foreseeable future

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-...-at-home-games
I love this idea.

Stop mixing politics and sports. Just play the games. I've been calling for this for at least two years - take the national anthem away, and then you also take away the players' ability to make a spectacle of it. No more kneeling, no more black power signs. You come out and play the game and entertain the fans which is what it's supposed to be all about in the first place.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:12 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
We all can only speculate the reason: Maybe he thinks a basketball game is not a place for anything that's polarizing?
That is exactly why he is doing it. He wants to keep it off the court.
The NBA unlike the NFL actually has a rule incorporated into their CBA that players must stand for the NA. Rather then trying to enforce through fines and suspensions, Cuban has chosen a more diplomatic way.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:16 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
We all can only speculate the reason: Maybe he thinks a basketball game is not a place for anything that's polarizing?
Polarizing ? What is polarizing about our National Anthem ?

Now I don't really follow the normal sports...to me, if it doesn't have a motor I'm not interested. I follow and have competed in all forms of motorsports. Offshore powerboats, Offroad (Baja 1000, for example), Snowcross, and Drag racing. Every event is started with our National Anthem being played, and if we are close to the Canadian border, their anthem is played. If we are close to the Mexican border, their anthem is played. I've been following these types of motorsports since I was 18, I'm 52 now, and I've never heard of anyone having an issue with it.

Interesting story. A friend of mine has had a Super Bowl party the last 5 years, with the exception of this year. It's pretty epic and generally there are quite a few people there, the majority of them are legal immigrants. When the National Anthem is played, I've notice the legal immigrants stop what they are doing , take their hats off (if they have one), put their hands over their heart and face the TV. The rest of us, some keep talking or whatever , others, like myself will sit or stand in silence.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:17 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,397,342 times
And where is it etched in stone that you must sing the national anthem before a sporting event?

I know when I go to work we don't play the national anthem nor do we recite the pledge of allegiance. I presume these sorts of rituals to the state are quite popular in places like North Korea.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:23 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
*shrug* vote with your wallets.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
So the national anthem triggers anxiety in NBA players? Are these children or men? The greatest generation they are not
Brainwashed zombies created by the progressive left.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:26 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Trump made playing the anthem a polarizing event. Had we recognized that some might kneel, it would have been noticed, commented on and not such a controversy.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:27 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,692 times
I quit watching Shark Tank a long time ago, because every time someone had an idea Mark Cuban liked, he would say; I have people in China that can manufacture that. He never said that he had people in the U.S. that can make that.

His announcement is probably praised by his China manufacturing connections.

So many have been selling out the country for a long time. Now they think they are morally superior on top of that.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I love this idea.

Stop mixing politics and sports. Just play the games. I've been calling for this for at least two years - take the national anthem away, and then you also take away the players' ability to make a spectacle of it. No more kneeling, no more black power signs. You come out and play the game and entertain the fans which is what it's supposed to be all about in the first place.
I tend to agree with you. And I fall in the middle - I don't understand the people who get "offended" by the national anthem and I don't understand the people who are "outraged" at the national anthem not being played. Now, on an international stage, yeah I think it's a a cool thing.

But I do find it odd we open congress every day with a prayer and not the National Anthem, but somehow people think it should be required at a foozball game.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:29 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I quit watching Shark Tank a long time ago, because every time someone had an idea Mark Cuban liked, he would say; I have people in China that can manufacture that. He never said that he had people in the U.S. that can make that.

His announcement is probably praised by his China manufacturing connections.

So many have been selling out the country for a long time. Now they think they are morally superior on top of that.
Uhh they all say that. So does Corporate America.

But that's capitalism for ya! (not that I'm against it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies