Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 05:46 PM

21,937 posts, read 9,508,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Trump made playing the anthem a polarizing event. Had we recognized that some might kneel, it would have been noticed, commented on and not such a controversy.
No, Colin Kapernick made it a polarizing event.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:48 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
The Dallas Mavericks were my Team for decades. I went to games as far south as Charlotte NC, as far north as Boston and as far west as Chicago. LOL I never watched them play the Nets or Knicks, live. Now I watch them no more. It used to be one of the things my son and I did together. My girls were never into Basketball. I dont watch sports for political indoctrination.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:54 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
According to Cuban, it had to do with no fans being at the stadium. He said they’ll return playing it when the fans return. He said he has no issue playing it. I’m not a big fan of Cuban but sounds okay.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:43 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I tend to agree with you. And I fall in the middle - I don't understand the people who get "offended" by the national anthem and I don't understand the people who are "outraged" at the national anthem not being played. Now, on an international stage, yeah I think it's a a cool thing.

But I do find it odd we open congress every day with a prayer and not the National Anthem, but somehow people think it should be required at a foozball game.
I totally agree with you.

I would offer an additional perspective though, which is "why".

Meaning if mom feeds ya pancakes every morning for 10 years and one day it's eggs.....you have to ask why the change? Has to be a reason.

The motivation behind that change is where the real issue is.

I have no dog in the fight, I used to be a big NBA fan but have grown bored with the league so this impacts me zero. I am only responding in terms of analyzing the situation and as said earlier...vote with your wallets.

After all, this is entertainment.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:10 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Saluting a flag is not how you respect the country. Just my opinion but the way to instill unity is to actually treat people equally.

Its a bit hypocritical for a country that was built on a lie from day one gets upset because a large section of the population did not have access to what the flag SUPPOSEDLY meant

People don't respect the national anthem for good reason

My father won the silver Star for gallantry in Action and when he came home had to sit in the colored section of the bus and train station.
I don't even want a flag on his coffin

Why would you treat a jackass with the same respect you do a more worthwhile individual?

The whole "content of their character" thing went out the window when it became clear that many of the the victims were primarily the victims of their own ****ty inclinations.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:57 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
So they're no longer American citizens? What country did they switch to?

Old 02-10-2021, 09:02 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,864,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I will go back and read -- but be clear.....they played some 13 games without the anthem before anybody said anyting.
Goes to show that nobody watches professional sports anymore lol

Old 02-10-2021, 10:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So celebrating because you respect America and its values is wrong. You sounds like a condescending ****.
Just realistic. At any given sporting event they play the anthem and some folks stand, some may even remove their hats....but so many fans are in the line for french fries or a beer or going to the washroom.

It's always a little odd when they start to play it as they hand you your beer or pretzel.

It isn't meant to be condescending.

And I will repeat --They didn't play the anthem for many games before anyone stopped to notice.

Is that on Cuban or ...is that a bigger statement.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Goes to show that nobody watches professional sports anymore lol

Or people watch the sports for the sport and not the anthem.

And if you are right and nobody is watching -- why does anybody care about the anthem being played.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:49 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
According to Cuban, it had to do with no fans being at the stadium. He said they’ll return playing it when the fans return. He said he has no issue playing it. I’m not a big fan of Cuban but sounds okay.
Cuban is lying and the NBA has put the kabosh on his cancelling the anthem. It will get played.

This is just another thing the left thinks is racist and wants on the cancel list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies