Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2021, 02:10 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
To my brothers in blue it’s time to retire or move on and let the fine outstanding citizens that want to take your rights, defund and whine to protect themselves. You all don’t need to work in these conditions.
I have 14 years in. It's too late to get out now. All I have to do is survive for another 6 years and I will be out for good.

Long gone is the day of proactive policing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 02:14 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
Well they have now released the body cam footage and what do you know. He wasn't holding a gun and his hands were up when he was shot.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/7217787002/
Did you make this conclusion behind the safety of a computer screen and watch that video in slow motion re-play?

or did you make this conclusion in fraction of a second during a foot police pursuit of an armed suspect at 2AM in the morning behind an alley in Chicago?

Old 04-16-2021, 11:28 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
To be honest, I didn't see the suspect holding the gun in the shooting officer's body cam footage. I think the suspect tossed the gun behind the fence before turning around and raising his hands, but I'm not saying the shooting wasn't justified.

https://www.chicagocopa.org/case/2021-1112/
I think so too.

I hate seeing the boy in that predicament. Seeing his lifeless body and eyes wide open while they attempt to revive him... it really sets home that life is precious...and too short to be so deep into gang life that one ends up dead by either another gang member or a cop. (I've read from an article that the CPD were giving a warning of possible retaliation by the Latin Kings. It's evident that the boy was either a member of that gang or in the process of getting initiated.) The shooting officer seems at least compassionate, even walking away and sat down for a minute, reflecting and shedding some tears from it sounded like. I think the shooting was a knee-jerk reaction.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:15 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think so too.

I hate seeing the boy in that predicament. Seeing his lifeless body and eyes wide open while they attempt to revive him... it really sets home that life is precious...and too short to be so deep into gang life that one ends up dead by either another gang member or a cop. (I've read from an article that the CPD were giving a warning of possible retaliation by the Latin Kings. It's evident that the boy was either a member of that gang or in the process of getting initiated.) The shooting officer seems at least compassionate, even walking away and sat down for a minute, reflecting and shedding some tears from it sounded like. I think the shooting was a knee-jerk reaction.
Yeah I think the shooting was a little borderline, being that he had ditched the gun and wasn't armed, but in doing so he made a lot of foolish, suspicious and alarming movements in a dark situation just before finally showing his empty hands. The way he turned around and raised his hands could possibly been mistaken for a gun and in a split second later it's clear it's not and maybe the cop had already committed to the shot. The unedited video is gruesome and I didn't watch it much any past 2:04 when he's shot.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:29 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
Quote:
Yeah I think the shooting was a little borderline, being that he had ditched the gun and wasn't armed, but in doing so he made a lot of foolish, suspicious and alarming movements in a dark situation just before finally showing his empty hands. The way he turned around and raised his hands could possibly been mistaken for a gun and in a split second later it's clear it's not and maybe the cop had already committed to the shot. The unedited video is gruesome and I didn't watch it much any past 2:04 when he's shot.
Not borderline at all, he tossed the gun a fraction of a second before the cop fired. We are talking fraction of a second here.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:37 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
I don't think you have the timeline right. Kid had his back to cop. Gun was in kid's right hand as he pivoted to his left. Gun leaves officer's line of vision, kid dumps gun while the cop's view of the kid's hand and gun are blocked by kid's body, kid continues to pivot, and cop reasonably expects to be facing the gun as kid finishes pivoting around.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 04-16-2021 at 04:53 PM..

Old 04-16-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I don't think you have the timeline right. Gun was in kid's right hand as he pivoted to his left. Gun leaves officer's line of vision, kid dumps gun while the cop's view of the kid's hand and gun are blocked by kid's body, kid continues to pivot, and cop reasonably expects to be facing the gun as kid finishes pivoting around.
I posted and watched the unedited body cam video. I can't ever see the gun that he was ditching. The kid is looking back and apparently trying to ditch the gun that can't be seen due to his blocking body and without it being "caught" and then the kid turns and faces showing his hands. I don't think the cop ever actually saw the gun either only rightfully suspects the kid is likely holding a gun, as the cop is saying "stop! show me your fing hands!" and not "drop the gun".

Do you have an unedited video where you can see the gun the kid is ditching?

https://www.chicagocopa.org/case/2021-1112/

Old 04-16-2021, 05:05 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
The gun is clearly visible in vidcaps that are all over Twitter. But that doesn't mean the officer saw it.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The gun is clearly visible in vidcaps that are all over Twitter. But that doesn't mean the officer saw it.
It might be visible on a frame and if enhanced. The hand and camera is quicker than the eye I guess.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:23 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Police say officers were dispatched to a largely Latino neighborhood in the city’s West Side on March 29 after the department’s ShotSpotter technology detected eight gunshots. When police arrived, Adam and a 21-year-old man fled, according to Chicago Police Department Superintendent David Brown.

There was an "armed confrontation" during which the officer shot Adam once in the chest, police said. He died at the scene. The 21-year-old man was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest.

Lightfoot, however, suggested that Adam had the gun.

"We will find the person who put the gun in Adam’s hand," Lightfoot said. "An adult put a gun in a child’s hand, a young impressionable child who should not be provided with lethal force."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ly/7087720002/

Apparently, this 13 year had a gun and was shooting it. He ran and was shot by police.

His family is saying he was a loving boy that would not hurt anyone.

If he was so loving, then why did he have a gun?

There might be some riots of this one....unsure if police foot pursuit tactics need to be reformed to let armed criminals run free ....
Just tell officers to stop pursing criminals. Pull them out of crime ridden areas, and then no more shootings, and we will have peace and Nirvana in Chicago, especially on the South Side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies