Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 07:11 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Throwing the baby out with the bath water because math is hard.

They told us the vaccines are 95% effective, not 100%.
They have told us a lot of things which have turned out to not be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 07:20 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,311,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Like it would go from 15 to 0. Glad that liar got fired. However, the efficacy of the vaccines hasmatched what the experts and trials have indicated.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...ltimately.html

On February 26, President Trump boasted that the coronavirus was about to disappear altogether from the United States. “You have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero,” he insisted.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:24 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
That is because the medical recommendations are coming in real time. And as the Pandemic changes, and as the information and data change, the medical recommendations commonly change.
This what some refer to as flip-flopping. And that is inevitable with all the unknowns and future unknowns of a new virus and Pandemic.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:06 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The vaccine is 95% effective, sure take your chances with the virus with those odds.
Funny story I saw yesterday.

Woman in Tampa, fully vaccinated for 7 weeks, got Covid from her kids. Her husband, who did not get vaccinated, did not get Covid despite also interacting with the kids and sleeping with her in bed.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:44 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Funny story I saw yesterday.
Woman in Tampa, fully vaccinated for 7 weeks, got Covid from her kids. Her husband, who did not get vaccinated, did not get Covid despite also interacting with the kids and sleeping with her in bed.
Maybe I am tempting fate here but I think some people are naturally immune to covid.

I may be but I have a co worker who has been working the entire time because her kids all got it and she didn't... she has 5 kids. She hasn't gotten it the entire time she has been working and she is in IT so she is the person in the building traveling around to fix issues that need fixing (which can be in public spaces). Many people in the building got it but all recovered fine.

I had wondered if someone who was exposed to a lot of colds / flus and other corona viruses over the years (parents of young / younger children) might be immune.

Which might make sense as to why it hits the elderly so badly.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:05 AM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Or perhaps they will help us achieve heard immunity but allowing for corona infections that boost our natural defenses but don't kill the weakest among us.

With almost 200 million Americans receiving at least one dose and the numbers not really going down that much, it isn't looking like this vaccines is going to be the panacea the Karens wanted.

I would also note in Israel they are still suffering deaths and cases... with a very high percentage of the population vaccinated early on.
Israel: 7 day average: 86 cases 2 deaths. A little over half the population has had two doses of vaccine.

The US is at about 30% fully vaccinated.

Quote:
Well the USA has had less... no doubt and Israel started with less.

But in theory, by now, they should be having zero cases and zero deaths.... and they aren't..

I wonder what the weather is like in Israel right now. (hint -- warm)
Why do you think that? That is not a theory that would be put forth by any scientist, because the vaccine is not 100% effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You will never get herd immunity with a virus that mutates requiring a booster shot.
Think flu, not chicken pox or measles.
Smallpox vaccine required boosters. The disease was eradicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
They (or we) will not have zero cases and zero deaths until an insanely high percentage of the population has been vaccinated. Until then, clustered outbreaks will remain. How big the clusters are will be dependent on how much of the population is vaccinated.

This is why vaccination is very much a societal and public health issue, as much as people like to reduce it to an issue of individualism and personal freedom.
Also, in the US one factor is that vaccine refusers tend to live near one another, increasing the risk for localized outbreaks even with high national vaccination rates, as happened with measles a couple of years ago.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:31 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
More and more studies saying vaccination isn't gonna do it.

https://academic.oup.com/jid/advance...iab161/6184123

Quote:
Reinfection with seasonal HCoVs is frequent. Binding anti-spike protein antibodies do not correlate with protection from seasonal HCoV infection.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:32 AM

1,603 posts, read 869,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Which, after 28 days, jumps to about 90%. J&J vaccine is not the same as the Pfizer/Moderna vaccine.
The immunity builds up slower.

Also note that Pfizer/Moderna are working on boosters while J&J is not.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-know-n1259652

What's more, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine's effectiveness against severe disease was found to increase over time — to more than 90 percent within a month and a half after vaccination.

That's good to know, as both my wife and I got the J&J 4-weeks ago. After reading that it was a more conventional vaccine and was 100% effective against hospitalization and death, that was good enough for us, and we liked that it was only 1 shot.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:39 AM

1,603 posts, read 869,375 times
Quote:
Maybe I am tempting fate here but I think some people are naturally immune to covid.

I may be but I have a co worker who has been working the entire time because her kids all got it and she didn't... she has 5 kids. She hasn't gotten it the entire time she has been working and she is in IT so she is the person in the building traveling around to fix issues that need fixing (which can be in public spaces). Many people in the building got it but all recovered fine.

I had wondered if someone who was exposed to a lot of colds / flus and other corona viruses over the years (parents of young / younger children) might be immune.

I think that's some of it. A couple years before Covid, I recall reading a quote by an epidemiologist who was asked what the best thing you could do for your kids immune systems and her amusing response was something along the lines of "let them play on the floor of a subway car." As someone who has worked from home for a year, I wonder if we'll all start getting colds and flu in great numbers when we eventually start mixing in the office again.

A lot of factors go into how sick you get. Blood type seems to play a roll, and there is significant evidence that a low level of vitamin D in your blood leads to a more severe case. Anecdotal, but of all the people I've known that had Covid, by far the person with the worst outcome was a guy that has worked nights for nearly 20 years, and enjoys online gaming more than going outside. He was sickly pale, like a vampire, before Covid.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:49 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,783 times
Quote:

Elderly people have been exposed to more viruses and pathogens than younger people, but over time, their immunity begins to falter. Your body produces memory T-cells in response to specific infections, however these T-cells can react to 'novel' viruses as well. As you age, you begin to lose these T-cells.

When you don't have a lot of T-cells to fight an infection, your body needs time to make them. In the process, it turns to a generalized immune response relying on interferons. Interferons cause cell death, inflammation, fever, a lot of the symptoms you have come to expect. When in the blood, they can cause clotting.

For younger people, healthy people. Such a generalized immune response means severe flu-like symptoms but general recovery. Their bodies will also quickly increase T-cells vs older. But for older people with a list of health factors like high blood pressure, this can kill them.

Inflammation and cell death in the alveoli causes pneumonia. In the blood, blood clotting.

All of this can happen with other viruses too. But since Covid is newer, we have less T-cells that will react to it, meaning if we prune the wrong ones, then we will be forced to rely on our generalized immune response.

Some people do seem naturally immune, probably due to having the right T-cells. If your immune system via the help of memory B and T cells catch and destroy this virus, you won't even generate antibodies or experience symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies