Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 03:25 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Israel occupies the West Bank, and builds settlements there. So, should the Palestinians there be Israeli citizens?

That would make sense. Give them the vote too.
While we're at it why not let the Jewish communities thousands of years old rebuild in Cairo, Alexandria, Tripoli, Algiers, Tunis, Casablanca, Baghdad, and Yemen? And give them the vote.

What's sauce for the goose....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 03:31 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You are somehow tying Israel's birthright citizenship for Jews, to the settlements?

I think there are more life-long Israeli citizens moving to the settlements than new immigrants, so I don't understand why you are connecting the two.
Most of the Israeli Jewish people are settlers, or descendants of settlers that came in the late 1940's, displacing indigenous Palestinians. What right did they have to do that? The Palestinians were always there, yet they lost land, and the right to live on ancestral land.

And you are wrong about the right of return. A good friend of mine decided to move to Israel, and the only place he was offered to live was in the West Bank. He stayed for about 2.5 years, and came back after a SCUD missile landed about 1/2 mile away from his house. If that has changed, it is a new phenomena. Regardless, the settlers, and the descendants of the late 1940's settlers, have no right to displace, suppress and discriminate against the indigenous Palestinians.

The Palestinians were there first, and never left. Most are descendants of people who were Jewish, who converted to Islam.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:41 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I’m really surprised. Are you a Palestinian? If not, why do you speak in their name?
I am a critical thinker. For years I thought I understood why Israel did what they were doing, but then I questioned what right are the settlers there, and I am talking about all of Israel. Palestinians never left, always were there.

Quote:
Palestinians DEFINE THEMSELVES AS ARABS! They speak Arabic. Their religion was born in the Arab peninsula. Their culture and history are Arabic. It’s the way they define themselves, not you or me. Now, after 1500 years, their supporters have second thoughts…Maybe they are Elemites? Or perhaps Sumerians? What about Akkadians?
I speak English, as do most North Americans. None would say they are British. Language does not define nationality.

They are culturally Arab, but not from ancestry. They are indigenous, have always lived there since there were Canaanites. They were originally Jewish, and converted to Islam. In fact, Walid Khalidi noted, in Ottoman times "the Palestinians considered themselves to be descended not only from Arab conquerors of the seventh century but also from indigenous peoples who had lived in the country since time immemorial."

They deserve the same recognition as any indigenous peoples around the world do. The idea that might makes right is wrong.

Does that clear it up for you?

Old 06-07-2021, 03:42 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
While we're at it why not let the Jewish communities thousands of years old rebuild in Cairo, Alexandria, Tripoli, Algiers, Tunis, Casablanca, Baghdad, and Yemen? And give them the vote.

The anti-Israel contingent never considers that side of the equation. Wonder what motivates their bias.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:52 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
First of all, Palestinians are not Arabs (most of them). They've been there since before David was a king.

You need to check again, as it is the invader and settler Israeli's who control the areas. The settlers have no right to steal the land from the indigenous people. None.
Yes, Palestinians are Arabs. They identify as Arabs. Who are you to tell them otherwise? Even though many claim to descend from the folks who were there pre-Arab conquest of the area, they still identify as Arab today and they are intermixed predominately with Arab. Or are you seriously going to argue that the indigenous population of the area did what others have not been able to do and avoid intermixing with their conquerors?

The "invader" has long controlled those areas, whether they were the Arab invaders, the Ottoman invaders, the British invaders, etc. That there is an irrational hatred of the Jewish people driving much of the opposition we see to Israel today doesn't change this point. Note, as an ex-Muslim, the basis of the hatred is clear to me and has been bedrock of antisemitism forever. But this isn't hard to understand when the Qur'an refers to Jews in such lovely terms as "apes" and "pigs" and tells Muslims to not take Jews as friends.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 06-07-2021 at 04:03 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 03:53 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

And yours just shows the folly of those who are making some singular, double standard basis of ownership of land. Conquest has happened forever. The Jews shouldn't be singled out for returning to their homeland.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:06 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Israel captured the West Bank and Gaza (plus the Golan Heights and Sinai Peninsula) in the six-day defensive war with surrounding Arab nations and Israeli settlers starting moving into those areas. In 2005, Israel forceably removed the settlers from Gaza in a land for peace deal. No more Israelis in Gaza. And then what happened? Instead of getting peace, Hamas started using Gaza a launch pad for missiles into Israel.

And now you expect Israel to pull the settlers out of the West Bank? An area that protrudes into Israel just 7 miles from Tel Aviv? So they can blow up the Capitol of Israel?

Maybe if the Palestinians stopped firing missiles from Gaza into Israel, they might have a better case. But for now, Israel would be nuts to do that. How could anyone think otherwise?
The Palestinian reservations have a Western-funded government under the Fatah party. Gaza and the West Bank aren’t governed together.

Israel has all the cards in its hands when it comes to a two-state solution. If they truly believe they have the moral high ground, they’d get behind the 1967 lines. If the rockets kept coming after that, then Israel would rightly see that as a declaration of war, then they could pogrom the Palestinians until Israel gets the land it wants. But this stealth ethnic cleansing and following the playbook of their parents’ oppressors isn’t respectable or moral.

For now, as I see it, one nation is being choked to death and is desperately and futilely throwing punches. I would never blame the person throwing the punches, no matter how much I despised them.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:13 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Most of the Israeli Jewish people are settlers, or descendants of settlers that came in the late 1940's, displacing indigenous Palestinians. What right did they have to do that? The Palestinians were always there, yet they lost land, and the right to live on ancestral land.

And you are wrong about the right of return. A good friend of mine decided to move to Israel, and the only place he was offered to live was in the West Bank. He stayed for about 2.5 years, and came back after a SCUD missile landed about 1/2 mile away from his house. If that has changed, it is a new phenomena. Regardless, the settlers, and the descendants of the late 1940's settlers, have no right to displace, suppress and discriminate against the indigenous Palestinians.

The Palestinians were there first, and never left. Most are descendants of people who were Jewish, who converted to Islam.

If you believe in a 2 state solution, then it shouldn’t bother you that Jews from around the world are granted citizenship in Israel. That should be a separate issue from the settlements. I’m sure there are many new immigrants that don’t live in settlements, so they shouldn’t bother you. In a 2 state solution they will be in Israel, not Palestine. It would only be important in a 1 state solution.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, Palestinians are Arabs. They identify as Arabs. Who are you to tell them otherwise? Even though many claim to descend from the folks who were there pre-Arab conquest of the area, they still identify as Arab today and they are intermixed predominately with Arab. Or are you seriously going to argue that the indigenous population of the area did what others have not been able to do and avoid intermixing with their conquerors?

The "invader" has long controlled those areas, whether they were the Arab invaders, the Ottoman invaders, the British invaders, etc. That there is an irrational hatred of the Jewish people driving much of the opposition we see to Israel today doesn't change this point. Note, as an ex-Muslim, the basis of the hatred is clear to me and has been bedrock of antisemitism forever. But this isn't hard to understand when the Qur'an refers to Jews in such lovely terms as "apes" and "pigs" and tells Muslims to not take Jews as friends.
That's true. Unfortunately, this Jew-haters shut that down by claiming any Jew who brings it up is "playing the Jew victim card." (Even that statement just reeks of disdain for Jews.)

As far as the Qur'an, I believe the Muslims say that Jews are the OFFSPRING of apes and pigs. So lovely.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Cultural melting pot is the name of the game these days....why do they deserve to be a Jewish state?
Why do so many countries deserve to be Muslim-majority countries? Christian-majority countries? Buddhist-majority countries? Considering how rampant antisemitism is, including the attempt to rid the planet of Jews just 80 years ago, and the millennia of persecution and expulsions, why SHOULDN'T Jews get to have one teensy, weensy Jewish-majority state?

Why don't I hear people complaining about the fact that 27 (27!!) countries have Islam as their official state religion? Why don't I hear the people bemoaning the poor Palestinians' loss of a homeland (because Jordan attacked Israel, and lost it) express any anger that 800,000 Jews had their property and homes and money and furniture and whatever else stolen from under them, and were essentially left with nothing?

The double standards SHRIEK anti-semitism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies