Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 12:08 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Your objection to Spanish as a different language is ... that it is a different language.

You have posted one of the most ignorant posts to grace this forum. Congratulations.
Perhaps you should read the post. Too many syllables and mis-pronunciations of letters.

Your attempt at cleverness was an epic fail. I even gave examples.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
But they can ditch the pronoun, which makes a big difference with the most common verbs, which also happen to among the highest frequency words.

I saw = vi 2 vs 1
I go = voy 2 vs 1
They are = son 2 vs 1
You give = das 2 vs 1
etc.

Wouldn't they say the same thing about you? By the way why waste time with the double "t" there when it doesn't change the pronunciation, "letra" is easier to write than "letter" right?

As long as you're complaining about pronunciation, weigh vs. tough vs. through? How efficient is it to have letters you sometimes don't pronounce, and sometimes do?
True, to a minor degree, but no language butchers letters like spanish. None.

It''s far worse that the way Scots speak.

IF you want to prove it to yourself, go somewhere that they have signs saying the same thing in different languages, and see which one is not only longer but also the most syllables.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:25 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,815,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
True, to a minor degree, but no language butchers letters like spanish. None.

It''s far worse that the way Scots speak.

IF you want to prove it to yourself, go somewhere that they have signs saying the same thing in different languages, and see which one is not only longer but also the most syllables.
What do you mean by "butchers letters"?

Old 09-20-2021, 12:53 AM

303 posts, read 128,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I think he means that some letters are pronounced differently in Spanish than how they are in English. He gave the example of the letter J.

He declined to state whether he thinks English also "butchers letters" since the J in English is also pronounced differently to how it is in Latin, whence the alphabet comes. (My understanding is that J did not exist as a separate letter in classical Latin, but was a variation of the letter I; it later came to represent the sound which is usually represented by the letter Y in English, such as in 'yes' or 'yellow')

Old 09-20-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Butchers their pronunciation.

For example JESUS is pronounced as if it were spelled haysuse
Jorge is pronounced as if were spelled WhoreHay

What they do to ll is horrific.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
I think he means that some letters are pronounced differently in Spanish than how they are in English. He gave the example of the letter J.

He declined to state whether he thinks English also "butchers letters" since the J in English is also pronounced differently to how it is in Latin, whence the alphabet comes. (My understanding is that J did not exist as a separate letter in classical Latin, but was a variation of the letter I; it later came to represent the sound which is usually represented by the letter Y in English, such as in 'yes' or 'yellow')
Read post 331.

BTW, the French are as bad.

Recent storm Henri is mispronounced in French as if it were spelled OnRee. The correct pronunciation for Henri or Henry is Hen (like a chicken) Ree (like reed or deed without the "d")

Old 09-20-2021, 10:25 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,815,138 times
Quote:
Read post 331.

BTW, the French are as bad.

Recent storm Henri is mispronounced in French as if it were spelled OnRee. The correct pronunciation for Henri or Henry is Hen (like a chicken) Ree (like reed or deed without the "d")
French is bad (albeit not as bad as English), but Spanish (only second to Italian, from what I understand), stays fairly close to archaic Latin's usage of letters (which carries over to classic Latin).

Old 09-20-2021, 10:57 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
French is bad (albeit not as bad as English), but Spanish (only second to Italian, from what I understand), stays fairly close to archaic Latin's usage of letters (which carries over to classic Latin).
Having studied Latin does help me with Spanish.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:25 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Spanish is also a fair gateway to Italian...kinda sorta. French, Spanish and Italian are known as the Romantic languages not because of any romanticism, but because they grew out of the language of Rome, that being Latin.

By all I’ve seen here, German isn’t much better in terms of different sounding pronunciations of certain letters. J is basically how we use a y, and y is sort of halfway between ö and ü. Sch is our sh sound, and sh doesn’t really exist unless it joins two words which end in a and start with h, respectively, in which case the s and h are pronounced separately and not with a single “sh” sound. Eu together is pronounced like “oy”, not “you”. And r’s are either soft, much like upland southern accents, or are the gutteral rolling R’s from the throat.

In other words, the there’s no correct way to pronounce any letters, it’s quite arbitrary.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:52 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Butchers their pronunciation.

For example JESUS is pronounced as if it were spelled haysuse
Jorge is pronounced as if were spelled WhoreHay

What they do to ll is horrific.
I think you are onto something here. In fact, it may be a global conspiracy.

Did you know the French call Paris “Pa-ree”

The Italians and Germans are even worse! The call their cities by different names entirely. Cologne is spelled and pronounced “Köln”, and Florence is “Firenze”.

The Chinese are obvious bullies, changing the name of their capital from Peking to Beijing without even asking our permission, and they even use a different alphabet. Technically two different alphabets!

People from Boston are obvious traitors, with their habit of dropping the letter “R” from words like park.

But what about the British? They spell color as colour, but they had the language first! Oh no! What should we do?

It is almost as if we don’t have control or authority how people in other countries speak?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies